L

livelaughlove

Nov 15, 2022
is recovery even real? Like what does recovery mean? Because all i can imagine is being "distracted". But is that recovery? And is coping recovery? Or again, is that just distracting yourself? Like what is recovery.

• Hugs
Reactions: rationaltake, innominesatanas44, FieldsofLavender and 5 others
jodes2

jodes2

Hello people ❤️
Aug 28, 2022
I guess recovery is possible for some things

Lost in a Dream

Lost in a Dream

He/him - Metal head
Feb 22, 2020
I hope it's real. No idea if it actually is though. I've tried recovery a few times, but like you said, it was all just coping and distractions, so in my case it definitely wasn't real. It's all just a matter of finding something that makes your life worth living and going for it. I think some people who try get lucky, and then it works out.

Do you want to try recovery @livelaughlove ? Maybe the only way to find out if it's real is to give it a shot and see if it works for you.

Reactions: rationaltake, aSilentVoice and PublicDiary0606
PublicDiary0606

PublicDiary0606

"Noone can hear you scream when you're drowning"
Feb 13, 2023
Yes and no, probably. This is entirely from my experience and my knowledge/research. I am no professional so do take my words with a grain of salt.

Depression, much like most people do, will always hit everyone at one point in their lifes. As people 'recover', they tend to be able to let go off their past and experience to better their future. One example, experiencing their loved ones die. Yes they'll go through grief but as it prolong, depression would hit them and their way of living would deteriorate. Most would be able to crawl their way out of that hole and live better lives. But some would need assistance like therapy, medication, support groups, etc. At the end of the day, they'll soon join those people who are carrying out their normal lives. That's the general side of depression.

Meanwhile clincal depression, or major depressive disorder, or chronic depression, it has a few names, don't really go away unfortunately. In most sources, medication would be most effective for those who are in the major stage. Some would probably need medication and therapy. It is highly unlikely you'll be 'cured' once you start improving because it'll probably come back. Usually the cause would be a trigger like remembering traumatic event or bad memory, having a stressful life or illness. However, it's not like you're back to square one. Much like other illnesses, as long as you start treating it early, you could recover. I would describe it like how my doctor described it to me, "It's like a broken bone. A broken bone is more vulnerable than an undamaged bone." So your treatment is like a cast to assist it's healing.

However, there are those few are unfortunate enough, to be genetically depressed due to chemical imbalances. The process of those who are like this is similar to treating clinical depression but it takes extra effort. Treatment for these people is like a lifetime. Some of those who developed into major depressive disorder can be treated, but it'll probably revert back to minor depression. It isn't as severe from the name but it could be as destructive because its like a slow burning disease. An again, with triggers or being untreated for a long time, could develop into major depressive disorder again. Well, atleast thats what I experienced. For the years that I have been battling depression, I'm starting to believe I can never be cured. Ever day feels very empty and cold. The things that excites me or motivates me are limited. Some days, nothing keeps me motivated. It takes extra effort to achieve happiness and anytime I'm start being alone I just feel nothing. Every night I just hope to understand this emptiness and at most times when I'm with friends or family, I feel so alone even though it is evident that they love me. I stopped taking medication not because I feel like it wasn't working, I just know that theres no hope in taking it anymore. Ill just keep on relapsing. Plus I wouldn't want to feel awful everytime I took those piils. It takes time take effect, but it destroyed my soul. So I lied to my doctor that I'm getting better and I stopped going for medical check ups. And I did lost hope.

But, what keeps me going is those acts of love that i got from friends and family. It makes me feel like I'm part of this world and I am glad they are setting an example for me to show what it means to love. So as I give back to them, it somewhat soothe my soul/heart. Being part of their lives and watching them grow as I do, makes me feel happy.

Again, do take my words with a grain of salt. Most of what I said are from my own knowledge and experience and I'm not a professional. I'm just a lucky guy who won the genetic lottery. But even luckier because I have amazing people around me who keeps me going. If they aren't there, I probably wouldn't want to be in this world. This world is sad enough, and my eyes just made it even sadder. But right now, all I could see are my loved ones and I appreciate that. In conclusion, I'm just coping. I can never recover. I hope I covered some useful information for you. Good Night. 💙

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: LossOfMe, RW__Asher23, BrailleTogepi and 2 others
breakingpoint

breakingpoint

Humanoid
Feb 17, 2023
my doctor said I'll always have depression for the rest of my life, I'll just get better at dealing with it. I don't want that thanks…

• Hugs
  • Love
  • Aww..
Reactions: ncmxm, haiku, RW__Asher23 and 5 others
WorthlessTrash

WorthlessTrash

Worthless
Apr 19, 2022
Depends on the situation. Coping is in essence is recovery, or as close to it as one can get.

PublicDiary0606

PublicDiary0606

"Noone can hear you scream when you're drowning"
Feb 13, 2023
my doctor said I'll always have depression for the rest of my life, I'll just get better at dealing with it. I don't want that thanks…

I truly understand that. You're just have to accept the fact that you are ill for a lifetime and theres not much you can do but to cope better. It's alot to take in and its just too much effort and unfair just because you need to stay alive. But is it even living at this point? To tell you honestly, I don't even know… but I do hope you find a reason to cope and not give up. Hope you get live life the way you want to. Sending you lots of love and hugs. 💙

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: RW__Asher23, BrailleTogepi, aSilentVoice and 3 others
Source Energy

Source Energy

I want to be where people areN'T...
Jan 23, 2023
Just coping. You learn to live with the pain. Except for times when it hits again and it becomes unbearable. It's been on and off for me for many years.

• Hugs
Reactions: noahsfiles, RW__Asher23, Celerity and 1 other person
bijou

bijou

meow meow meow
Jan 23, 2023
depends on the situation and your motivations. learning to cope effectively can mean you are recovering and i don't want to rob myself or others of that feeling.
I guess recovery is possible for some things
i have totally recovered from my eating disorder so i guess it is possible.

Reactions: jodes2, BrailleTogepi and aSilentVoice
jigsaw_falling

jigsaw_falling

if there’s an afterlife i’ll be pissed
Jan 25, 2023
i genuinely believe recovery is possible. im generally an optimistic person, i don't think that life is inherently awful and not worth living. i just don't think that i'm capable of recovering. or maybe i am, but i don't know if i'll be able to stick it out that long, and wait till it 'gets better'

Reactions: thx1138 and throwawayyy
T

throwawayyy

Jun 21, 2022
It's possible. I've done it once before I think I can do it again even tho circumstances are harder this time

Reactions: thx1138
ZRA

ZRA

Oct 11, 2022
I have yet to meet someone who has had issues in this area up to some point, and never again afterward. I can't rule it out, but it doesn't seem like it happens. I think coping is recovery, though - do e.g. drug addicts ever stop feeling some echo of their compulsion?

ThomasJ

ThomasJ

Feb 16, 2023
I'm sure they do. If people can get worse, it stands to reason that they can get better as well.

Lots of us feel like their state of mind is set in stone, especially when we've been feeling a certain way for a long time. But a lot can change over time. I'm not even close to the same person that I was 5 years ago. My life circumstances have changed completely, the way I think has changed completely. The people I deal with are different, I've made new experiences and so on.
If all of that can change, then so can your mind. It's not guaranteed to happen of course, but to call it impossible is nonsense.

Reactions: rationaltake
thx1138

thx1138

Student
Jun 28, 2019
I look at it this way - even if it's just coping, it's still better than nothing at all. Even if I never stop having issues or "echoes" of them like ZRA said, it's still better than the acute phase. Instead of thinking about the big picture and a fantasy where all of my problems are solved, I think I should try to solve one problem at a time. Even if today you feel a tiny bit better than yesterday, it's still better than no progress at all. Sending you all best wishes for your recovery!

Reactions: ncmxm and throwawayyy