lostinthedream

lostinthedream

Warlock
Sep 2, 2018
I haven't seen this discussed yet, but it seems to be a key element worthy of discussion.. Curious about people's thoughts about them and if this has been completed by anyone here.. I am going to raise this with my doctor in my next visit.

What is a DNR?

A DNR order is created, or set up, before an emergency occurs. A DNR order allows you to choose whether or not you want CPR in an emergency. It is specific about CPR. It does not have instructions for other treatments, such as pain medicine, other medicines, or nutrition.

more info:

https://medlineplus.gov/ency/patientinstructions/000473.htm

The doctor writes the order only after talking about it with the patient (if possible), the proxy, or the patient's family.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, Smilla, lv-gras and 1 other person
Trashcan

Trashcan

Trash
Aug 31, 2018
I would love to get one but in my country they don't respect them for a suicide attempt. First responders also often don't check for them in the first place.

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and SamK
Smilla

Smilla

Visionary
Apr 30, 2018
I have a medical power of attorney which states I don't want any extraordinary medical care; forget the exact language used. Basically it says to "pull the plug" if I am brain dead.

As for first responders—I'll just have to take the chance that they will resuscitate.

SamK

SamK

Cloud Surfing
Aug 21, 2018
Same here in the UK, if say you were found not breathing with no pulse in the street, they wouldn't care how it happened they would resuscitate you. However, if i were found brain damaged, or had to be placed on life support, everyone around knows better than to keep me on it. Make sure if you can't do this, your next of kin knows your wishes (even if you dont tell them about your suicide plan/feelings) just in general it's worth mentioning that if you ever were, you'd want to have it turned off

Reactions: RaphtaliaTwoAnimals, lv-gras and Smilla
EternalSanction

EternalSanction

-
Jun 7, 2018
In most countries first responders would not care about self-issued DNR orders. They're risking their job after all.
Regarding life-prolonging measures; that's a different story & legit in most places. I think it's a great idea and I'll set up a document for myself in the near future.