willitpass

willitpass

Don’t try to offer me help, I’ve tried everything
Mar 10, 2020
I haven't been to a psych ward in years. My mental health diagnoses are all very old in my medical record dating back to when I was a minor. I haven't been in treatment in about two years. If I were to go to a licensed gun seller or gun range in the US would I pass a background check? I don't know the first thing about guns but at this point I'm willing to go to a gun range and learn if I'd pass a background check.

Reactions: ladylazarus4, wren-briar and Tonkpils
T

Tonkpils

Jul 12, 2024
It seems to vary by state as to how well they actually report things to the FBI/ATF. What I found was the 2 things that disqualify you are involuntary commitments and being found incompetent mentally by a court. I suppose at this point there's no harm in trying as the worst thing that happens is you're denied.

• Informative
Reactions: ladylazarus4, wren-briar, rollingthunder and 1 other person
maniac116

maniac116

My own worst enemy🌹💔
Aug 10, 2024
I worked in psych for years in the US.
When you're put on a 3 day hold it's just for an eval to see if you're dangerous to self or others.
If during that 3 days it appears you are mentally ill then a 14 day hold is indicated. At that point you maybe "certified" as mentally ill & a report is filed with DOJ that is a gun prohibition.
At the time I was working, the gun prohibition lasted 5 years. You could challenge the prohibition in court.
Gun laws have changed since I retired & may be more stringent now, I just don't know.
As far as background checks, we have privacy laws that offer us protections to our mental health records.
I hope this offers you at least some help🌹💔

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ladylazarus4, wren-briar, LifeQuitter and 3 others
R

rollingthunder

May 3, 2023
Like Tonkpils said it varies by state, especially depending on if your state leans more conservative or not. I do think that in most states, mental health diagnoses would not show up on background checks, although it could be worth it to google for your state specifically. For psych ward stays, it may be different, especially if you were involuntarily committed.

• Informative
Reactions: Tonkpils, ladylazarus4 and wren-briar
Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Not looking for advice or a pep talk
Jun 12, 2024
I worked in psych for years in the US.
When you're put on a 3 day hold it's just for an eval to see if you're dangerous to self or others.
If during that 3 days it appears you are mentally ill then a 14 day hold is indicated. At that point you maybe "certified" as mentally ill & a report is filed with DOJ that is a gun prohibition.
At the time I was working, the gun prohibition lasted 5 years. You could challenge the prohibition in court.
Gun laws have changed since I retired & may be more stringent now, I just don't know.
As far as background checks, we have privacy laws that offer us protections to our mental health records.
I hope this offers you at least some help🌹💔
All of this varies by state. What you have said is not the way things work in my state and I worked in psych for almost a decade.

We can't tell you for sure without knowing what state willitpass is in.

• Informative
Reactions: ladylazarus4 and wren-briar