Redleaf1992

Redleaf1992

Just leave us the f*ck alone!
Feb 3, 2024
Hi everyone

Making this post to get some advice. My psychologist wants to talk about my childhood in upcoming sessions. There's plenty of stuff to talk about but there somthing I'm not sure I should bring up, becuase I don't know/think there is anything actually there.

One of my challenges is confusion around my sexuality. In truth also I have had masochistic tenderises from a young age.

The first time I felt some form of arousal (although I did not understand what is what was back then) was playing with action men figures, where I roleplayed the heroes getting captured by the Villian, where when captured he would shoot his gunge gun over them and I'd get this weird satisfaction to use a yellow highlighter pen to scribble over the figures to represent the gunge.

I kind of find it a little weird and wonder what could have caused the tendencies.

As a kid my parents would struggle with looking after my severely disabled brother, while managing me and my siblings.

My (could have been old) headmaster, who was also a priest (of some kind), and became a family friend and would often help out, by taking me out. It would sometimes be for a walk and to get food for his chickens, on rare occasions he would look after me at his house. Sometimes my little sister would be there also (I guess when she got older).

He was very kind person, I consider him to be the kindest person I've met. That said he did have some problems understanding appropriate boundaries. He would often hold my hand when going places and when talking to my parents at my place he'd have me sit next to him - for like a semi cuddle (can't remember if he had a arm round me or held my hand or anything). I was kind of uncomfortable with this, but nothing traumatising.

Many years later I find out he had been recently arrested for pedophilia. The crime was inspecting a boys genitalia. His defence was that the boy had expressed concern about his genitalia and was inspecting to remove his worry. I'm sure most people would think his defence is ridiculously, but knowing him as the very kind person but a lack of understanding of boundaries I do believe him.

That said I have to accept the story is weird and apparenty the other teachers at the school were wary of him.

Considering I was left alone with at times at his place, I would very much be in a vulnerable position with him.

I remember he had an attic room, which was a kids bedroom (which now I think about doesn't make a ton of sense as his kids were now adults, it could have just been a storage room). I remember him taking me up there, and I played with the toys while his wife made dinner.

What I think I had may have made up after thinking of scenarios after hearing about is arrest; is for some reason being on the bed, like he instructed me or somthing. But I would have no reason to be on it and can't figure it out, it could be a made up memory but somthing about it feels real. I have a second memory of a shadowy figure being over me (while on the bed) but I'm 99percent that is something I made up.

I honestly think nothing happened, and feel bad thinking there may have been towards someone I consider to be the nicest person I met, who was the preist at my brothers funeral, and has been through so much with prison and his own daughter commiting suicide. But then I can't ignore the fact that we are taking about someone who was found guilty of pedophilia, and the postion I was in Im sure would sound bad if telling anyone else.

I don't want to go speaking to my psychologist about somthing that likely didn't happen, just feels like I'm making attention for mysef making shit up. Expescially as there is no way of finding out.

Is it somthing I should bring up?

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: kinderbueno, Praestat_Mori, Life_and_Death and 1 other person
vitbar

vitbar

Escaped Lunatic
Jun 4, 2023
You should be honest imo, all the stuff you've said here including your concerns over it being a false memory.

Reactions: Redleaf1992, Praestat_Mori, Edistrying and 1 other person
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
i agree with @vitbar

i can also understand where you are coming from. i was also in a situation where someone got arrested for..... and i had been with him alone at times. i have blank spots. i cant be sure if its general "memory loss" (not remember every single second of your life) or dissociation memory loss. ive resigned myself to telling myself its all false anything i might "remember" but, i have no idea and probably never will....

(the worst part is probably that he messaged a couple years ago (after he got out) acting like i give a shit about his opinion. and by the way it was worded my "parents" (only 1 biological and both disowned) probably fucking sent him to do it!)
edit: wait, let me top that off. my "parents" have him talking and associating with my underage brothers and theres shit all i can do about anything

• Hugs
Reactions: Redleaf1992 and Praestat_Mori
K

Kavka

Student
Jun 11, 2024
Wow shit, I have the same concerns about a possible false memory of a somewhat similar situation. All the verifiable facts add up, including sleeping in his house under questionable circumstances and of course his conviction.

The problem is that these facts are exactly why I'm worried that it might all be a false memory. Everything fits together perfectly, like in a film where you don't have to show "the scene" and yet everyone can fill in what happened behind that door and come to the same conclusion.

I left that school about a month later, but I remember doing a lot of digging when I heard he had been convicted, which is of course the perfect way to create a false memory.

If I had a psychologist I trusted, and talking about childhood was on the agenda for our next appointment, I'd probably want to bring it up. Talking about childhood is the perfect opportunity to talk about the accuracy of memories and the possibility of creating false memories. You can talk about false memories in general and then decide how much detail you want to share about this specific personal memory.

I agree that there won't be any closure and there's unfortunately no real way to find out, but maybe it could help to actually talk it through with someone? Good luck with whatever you decide! If you're willing and able to post an update on how it went, I'd really appreciate it.

• Hugs
Reactions: Lostandlooking, Praestat_Mori and Redleaf1992
kinderbueno

kinderbueno

Waiting at the bus stop
Jun 22, 2024
You should bring it up. Nobody can remember everything perfectly, and even if you think it's false there's still a chance it may not be

Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Redleaf1992
Dot

Dot

Globl mod | Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
Agree wth othrs

Flse memris cld evn hve bn mde as a wy fr ur mnd t/ cpe wth realsng tht u hd bn in vulnrble positn wth a pedphle - or lke u sd acknwldgng tht ur boundris wre crossd whle u wre wth hm

N.e decnt psychlgst wll hve sme knwldge in mangng ptentlly flse memris & knw hw t/ apprch thm & u obvsly hve smethng in ur hed whch / cnfusng u & tht = wht thy r thre fr

• Love
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Redleaf1992
Redleaf1992

Redleaf1992

Just leave us the f*ck alone!
Feb 3, 2024
Thank you very much for the responses everyone. I think I will bring it up, just worried for about looking the fool for bringing somthing up that 99percent didnt happen.

@Life_and_Death Sorry to hear that, it sounds like a awful situation. If you think somthing is happening with your brothers are you able to perhaps notify authroties?

@Kavka Yeah it can be confusing, never knowing if you made somthing up or not. Yeah if I speak to her about it I will let you know. There plenty of stuff for me to talk about my child hood though, so may not be next session.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Life_and_Death
Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you 🕯️ Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
If you think somthing is happening with your brothers are you able to perhaps notify authroties?
no, i have no way of knowing if it is or not. im not in contact with anyone, just one of my brothers and thats only through fb occasionally

H

Hvergelmir

Student
May 5, 2024
I think I will bring it up, just worried for about looking the fool for bringing somthing up that 99percent didnt happen.
It's great that you don't throw accusations around, but whether the memory is true or not isn't relevant in the context of talking to psychiatrists.
Whether it's based in reality or not, it's obviously something that's bothering you. Let the psychiatrist do their job and help you make sense of it. Even if they won't deal with it directly, it might help them make sense of a larger picture.

Reactions: Redleaf1992
iLikeFrogs

iLikeFrogs

Most likely dissociating
May 5, 2023
I have a lot of fake memories too and I usually just tell my therapist that I'm not sure if the thing really happened. Even a fake memory can influence you a lot and is important to talk about because it still means something deeper is bothering you.

Reactions: Redleaf1992