nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
I've never really gotten why the 'seflish' argument is so popular for people. Sure understand suicide can be absolutely devastating but in my case, I've never really been bothered by it. I've always viewed it as "I never asked to be born, so why should I have to live?" And I'll also not be alive to deal with the aftermath so I don't get it.

Are people taught as kids not to be selfish because I was never taught that. When I told my parents I was considering suicide, they told me to 'grow up' they never said it was selfish or talked about how it would affect them.

Reactions: AynoTnTime, foxdie, TheDevilsAngel and 2 others
H

Hornyaboutdeath

Aug 23, 2020
I've never really gotten why the 'seflish' argument is so popular for people. Sure understand suicide can be absolutely devastating but in my case, I've never really been bothered by it. I've always viewed it as "I never asked to be born, so why should I have to live?" And I'll also not be alive to deal with the aftermath so I don't get it.

Are people taught as kids not to be selfish because I was never taught that. When I told my parents I was considering suicide, they told me to 'grow up' they never said it was selfish or talked about how it would affect them.
No, kids are not being taught being selfish.
All humans are selfish, in its nature.

Reactions: Homecoming, sadghost and moonchild
RealHumanBean

RealHumanBean

Student
Aug 8, 2020

Have you ever had a friend, family member, or any other loved one die? What was the experience like for you? If you haven't had a loved one die, that may be why you're undervaluing the loss of yourself if you were to ctb. I still think about people who died decades ago.

Reactions: Pineapplecrown
nigelhernandez

nigelhernandez

Experienced
Apr 14, 2020
Have you ever had a friend, family member, or any other loved one die? What was the experience like for you? If you haven't had a loved one die, that may be why you're undervaluing the loss of yourself if you were to ctb. I still think about people who died decades ago.

Actually yes, my grandmother. But I didn't feel anything. She died this year.

RealHumanBean

RealHumanBean

Student
Aug 8, 2020
Actually yes, my grandmother. But I didn't feel anything. She died this year.
You may still have empathy. I think it is easier to accept the loss of a grandparent or someone old because death is not unexpected. Picture the person you care about the most; if they died, what would you feel?

H

Hornyaboutdeath

Aug 23, 2020
You may still have empathy. I think it is easier to accept the loss of a grandparent or someone old because death is not unexpected. Picture the person you care about the most; if they died, what would you feel?
That's more a question of sympathy imho.

W

whywere

Visionary
Jun 26, 2020
I wonder if selfish aspect is something that every human has as a survival tool? Some humans have a higher degree of it than others, just wondering? Now for me, my entire family was selfish from the get go. My "parents", they called me "the mistake", and my brother and sister were overboard on selfish and greedy. When my "parents" died they left my sister 1 milion and my brother 3 million and me ZERO! Never bothered me at all because both are still selfish and greedy and seem totally unhappy. As far as you, only you can decide if ctb is for you, BUT..BUT Ilove you as a great friend here on sanctioned suicide, even though I do not know you. I do NOT have selfish,greedy peopel around me at all, I am totally alone, BUT run into peopel at stores who got to know me and I will NOT let them ruin me. The global family here is the most UNSELFISH group I have ever had he privilege knowing. Love and peace to you friend.

• Hugs
Reactions: sadghost

Cluesome
Apr 5, 2018
It's better for me when others act in my interests rather than in their own interests. It's better for me to act in my interests rather than act in interests of other people. I have an incentive to encourage others not to act in their own interests (not to be selfish) when they are in conflict with mine, while I continue to act in my own interests. Extend this thinking onto others and you can get the idea why selfishness argument is popular, at least among the concerned parties.

I don't know what drives people to use this argument when they are not affected by this particular suicide at all. Perhaps they sympathize with those who would be affected by this suicide, or want to present themselves as someone who reprimands selfish behavior --> as selfless themselves (one doesn't follow from the other but I sense how some people could reach this conclusion), which might in turn win them some favor.

L

Leshen

Oct 31, 2018
There's nothing more selfish and unemphatic than procreation. Nothing comes close, not even suicide.

Reactions: TheSomebody, Homecoming, Meditation guide and 1 other person
H

Hornyaboutdeath

Aug 23, 2020
There's nothing more selfish and unemphatic than procreation. Nothing comes close, not even suicide.
Indeed. The ugly truth.

Reactions: TheSomebody and Homecoming
Meditation guide

Meditation guide

Always was, is, and always shall be.
Jun 22, 2020
I've never really gotten why the 'seflish' argument is so popular for people. Sure understand suicide can be absolutely devastating but in my case, I've never really been bothered by it.
When you love people you don't want to do anything that would cause them pain. That would include suicide. You actually have an advantage to have zero empathy in a way.

A

AynoTnTime

Earthling.
Aug 31, 2020
Pe

People who want a miserable person to remain alive because it makes them happy that the person is alive are selfish.
Me, I'd be sad, but, I'd also be happy knowing a life I cared about is (hopefully) no longer suffering.