I

itwillpass

Jan 1, 2020
As per title really. I don't sleep very well and when I do sleep I usually have dark disturbing dreams/nightmares. Last few nights I've got more sleep, thankfully however I started having weird dreams, not bad though. Last night I had fantastic dreams, really happy. When I woke up I tried to go back to sleep! Unfortunately I couldn't so reality hit. Not sure what worse, bad dreams featuring my own death or goods featuring erm good things that can't happen!

What are dreams?

• Hugs
Reactions: Nemeshisu, Sensei, Moonicide and 1 other person
E

Epsilon0

Enlightened
Dec 28, 2019
From what I've read there is no definite answer to that question, but the consensus is that sleep and dreaming are a sort of brain maintenance, a daily clean-up operation which helps us process our experiences and keeps us from going mad.

As far as I know everyone dreams, even if not everybody necessarily remembers their dreams.

Reactions: Nemeshisu, 262653 and TheDevilsAngel
I

itwillpass

Jan 1, 2020
There's loads of different answers when you Google it but I cant make sense of them. Having the good dreams is just as tormenting as the bad!

• Love
Reactions: TheDevilsAngel
F

Final Escape

I’ve been here too long
Jul 8, 2018
Yes I think so but u might need help interpreting.

Carina

Carina

Angelic
Dec 22, 2019
At night, your brain does maintenance.

Dreams though... I've found that what's on your mind before bed, you're hearing as you sleep, or maybe just what your brain is storing/wrapping up/etc, just influences your dreams.

Sometimes you just get insight into something that was bothering you, but sometimes, it's just a screwed up thing that makes no sense because it's just a dream.

Reactions: Epsilon0 and LivingToLong
L

LivingToLong

Experienced
Feb 23, 2019
I think dreams can reflect what's currently on your mind, good or bad. I think they are not so straight forward to decode though, but you'll have a better idea than most about your own dreams - because it's your brain!

The mind works associatively, storing memories and ideas etc with its own cataloguing system. Memories are stored and linked using this highly personal/individual catalogue. I think we see this in action (when awake) when something triggers a seemingly unrelated memory in us. Example; you're walking down the street and see a bus, and you suddenly start thinking of your grandmother - because, for you, there's a link between buses and your grandma.

I reckon that in dream state (or brain maintenance mode) these associations are sometimes triggered by random brain maintenance activity, Or sometimes, by what's been on your mind recently - or combinations of both. If you think about your dreams, you can usually find some kind of meaning or relevance to you. If you play 'join the dots' with the seemingly random dream images, you can derive some kind of relevance. But it may not be particularly profound and certainly not a prediction of things to come or anything like that!

These associations might not link only to memories of events or incidents.They could be to sounds, smells, colours, emotions or beliefs even, or maybe more abstract again. The thing is, they're all yours. If you're patient and can think laterally, you could probably work them through, possibly even gain some insights to yourself... but equally it could be a lot of work for not a lot of outcome! You usually know, at a pretty basic level, what has triggered your dream.

Reactions: _Minsk, Nemeshisu and Epsilon0
I

itwillpass

Jan 1, 2020
So in someway they could be amplifying your thoughts/feelings when awake.

Think I'll request a neutral dream tonight; a puppy playing in the snow or something.

Reactions: LivingToLong
Nemeshisu

Nemeshisu

Experienced
Dec 25, 2019
Honestly, I am not sure. Most of the time I don't remember them or they are rather abstract and nonsensical.

However, I think some of dreams can help use recognize our inner emotional states. I had a few dreams where loneliness was main element, which was pretty accurate prediction of how i felt at that moment. However, other dreams are very difficult to interpret so I am not sure whether we can really read our emotions and inner turmoils based on dreams.

Reactions: _Minsk and LivingToLong
mesohappy

mesohappy

Cat piss sammich??
Jan 10, 2020
As per title really. I don't sleep very well and when I do sleep I usually have dark disturbing dreams/nightmares. Last few nights I've got more sleep, thankfully however I started having weird dreams, not bad though. Last night I had fantastic dreams, really happy. When I woke up I tried to go back to sleep! Unfortunately I couldn't so reality hit. Not sure what worse, bad dreams featuring my own death or goods featuring erm good things that can't happen!

What are dreams?
I used to worry about my dreams,now when I wake up from them in horror, I just try to tell myself they are nothing.Our minds play tricks on us..Its still hard though,I know.Most of the time our mind is our worst enemy.Thats why Im here.Sometimes I want to blow it outta my skull.

HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
To balance out the more logical answers, it's said that if you dream about someone it means they're thinking of you. It's a nice thought

B

Backwood_tilt

UnEnlightened
Dec 27, 2019
One of the first line treatments recommended for PTSD is something called EMDR. Basically your eyes move like they do while you're in REM (dream state) sleep and you emotionally reprocess traumatic memories. This has greatly reduced my PTSD symptoms and eventually impacted my recurring nightmares and night terrors.

Based on how effective this stuff is, it seems like dreams might also have a component of emotional reconciliation and maintenance for our life experiences.