K

Kain10th

May 7, 2020
If found out do all suicide attempts result in them going to a psych ward after? Or is there any reason why they would not be sent there?

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Kamiotesoro, Rn110bg101 and 1 other person
D

Desky

May 15, 2020
Well if you attempted and failed or were stopped by a loved one and you were able to keep things hush hush... or loved one deemed you fit enough to stay out then yes maybe you would not go. Many other scenarios. If found out by the cops but you don't have your phone/anything they can track you with.. and a good hiding spot......

• Wow
Reactions: peacefulhorizons, Wolfjob_dayjob and Thirdtimesthecharm
GoBack

GoBack

Paragon
Apr 25, 2020
Theres no yes or no answer, I've been put in for just saying I was suicidal and another time I was let out of the er after an attempt

• Wow
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob, Pineapplecrown and autumnal
Nuclear Gandhi

Nuclear Gandhi

May 11, 2020
After my attempt my family decided against it - but only because mental institutions are horrible in my country and would damage me even further. I am very grateful for that, as I was able to recover without it (well, not fully since I am here again).

• Hugs
Reactions: UndeadSpectre, Wolfjob_dayjob and Deleted member 17331
W

Walilamdzi

Mar 21, 2019
After my attempt my family decided against it - but only because mental institutions are horrible in my country and would damage me even further. I am very grateful for that, as I was able to recover without it (well, not fully since I am here again).
Which country? They're bad here too.

D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
I'm assuming so because, it happened to me when I failed my first try to CTB.
If found out do all suicide attempts result in them going to a psych ward after? Or is there any reason why they would not be sent there?
Not sending someone to one of those places for me would be considered an act of mercy. It was my stay at one of these that helped me make the decision to CTB when my time came.
My grandfather used to tell me horror stories of when he worked as an elevator repairman and he had to work at a state run facility, this was long time ago before I was even born, people walking around with a dead bird in their cage treating it like it was living still. A kid actually tried to throw himself down the elevator shaft he was working on, unsuccessfully. But yeah I'd rather gargle "sulphuric acid" next time then step one foot into one of those places ever again.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lastsauce
I

IrRegularjoe

Apr 8, 2020
I'd say mostly yes. Although if there are no beds they might write in your file that they talked to you and your fine and everything you did made perfect sense. This would be Canada though where its socialized healthcare.

SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
It really boils down to how much of a risk you're deemed to be, what level of capacity you have, and really, the individuals dealing with the case.

I've often had to wait until in extreme states to get sectioned. One final point, it really isn't worth fearing that much, even if you are heading there. As long as you cooperate and keep your head down, who knows, you might even find something of value in the experience.

Reactions: profoundexperience and Lastsauce
Thirdtimesthecharm

Thirdtimesthecharm

Mar 27, 2020
Well if you attempted and failed or were stopped by a loved one and you were able to keep things hush hush... or loved one deemed you fit enough to stay out then yes maybe you would not go. Many other scenarios. If found out by the cops but you don't have your phone/anything they can track you with.. and a good hiding spot......
Can phones be tracked if they don't have their sim card in or do you need to remove the battery

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
D

Desky

May 15, 2020
Can phones be tracked if they don't have their sim card in or do you need to remove the battery
If you have the old style then it is possible to remove sim card. Taking the battery out could be unnecessary unless there is some tracking through wifi connection.. but if you want to be extra careful.. it's not a bad idea. If you are deemed a threat to yourself the cops do not need a warrant to gain entry into your home (in the US).

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob
Titania

Titania

Ultimate Despair
Dec 31, 2018
After a recent failed suicide attempt, I was sent to the ER on suicide watch then put in a psych ward for as long as they deem if you're safe and not suicidal anymore. That's what happens atleast in the US.

Isadeth

Isadeth

Visionary
Jun 12, 2020
I was forced inpatient for 6 days once for talking to my doctor about feeling suicidal taking seroquel and wanting off of it (won't make that same mistake twice... they ended up tripling the dose to 900mg a day in the ward and finally had to lie and say I was better to just get off of it.)... then another time I literally tried hanging myself and was released not even an hour later.

I guess it all depends. Do they have room? Are you denying suicidal thoughts/intent to harm? Are you expressing a plan? I think it's individualized and how the doctor is feeling upon evaluation.

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and disabledandhopeless
ReallySillyOtter

ReallySillyOtter

Will commit suicide or die tryin’.
Jun 20, 2020

Use the phone's Airplane Mode, no need to mess with the SIM card or battery. Look for an airplane button, once tapped an airplane icon should appear in the notification bar top of the display.

Airplane mode prevents the phone from broadcasting ANY data—no Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular or data connections. No data broadcast, no tracking possible.

Last edited:
Reactions: Thirdtimesthecharm and The Dark Chaos
ghostgirl1995

ghostgirl1995

Experienced
Apr 18, 2020
I got sent to one, not fun but can be helpful if you're not getting the help you need.

Reactions: Lastsauce
Thirdtimesthecharm

Thirdtimesthecharm

Mar 27, 2020
If you have the old style then it is possible to remove sim card. Taking the battery out could be unnecessary unless there is some tracking through wifi connection.. but if you want to be extra careful.. it's not a bad idea. If you are deemed a threat to yourself the cops do not need a warrant to gain entry into your home (in the US).
Won't be at my home haha take that pigs

• Love
Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and AnxietyAttack44
sorry

sorry

Apr 20, 2020
not necessarily. when i first attempted i ended up in the er for a day and then was given the option of going to the psych floor. i was a voluntary patient for 1 day mostly because i was too scared to go home and confront my parents about what happened. i could have left the hospital straight out of the er if i wanted. i expressed that i wasn't going to attempt again but was still suicidal to the psychiatrist i talked to.

D

Desky

May 15, 2020
Use the phone's Airplane Mode, no need to mess with the SIM card or battery. Look for an airplane button, once tapped an airplane icon should appear in the notification bar top of the display.

Airplane mode prevents the phone from broadcasting ANY data—no Bluetooth, Wi-Fi, cellular or data connections. No data broadcast, no tracking possible.
The main purpose of Airplane mode is to eliminate all cellular connection.. with that being said, it does also turn off Wifi and bluetooth. Many newer phones including my own will auto re-activate wifi even while still in airplane mode. Why take a risk.

A burner phone is also a great option if you can purchase anonymously.

G

GoneGoneGone

Enlightened
Apr 1, 2020
Depends on the country.
Personally I live in such an amazing and accepting country that whenever I have a psychotic episode and threaten to kill myself, they take 5 hours to get back to recommend 0.5 mg xanax.

Reactions: Fear191829218
JigsawFeelin

JigsawFeelin

Student
May 31, 2020
In the UK, definitely not

My first serious attempt I walked out of A&E hours later, with only a few leaflets

When I had a huge life change and told everyone I'd recently spoken to on messenger I was 'going to do it' (I have BPD and it was definitely more a cry for help and for the person involved in the life change to contact me and care about me than an intent on my life- although I had planned that in the logical part of my brain for a few weeks time after I'd rehomed my pet rats) I was sectioned for a month.

On the plus side, I'm not scared of being NHS sectioned again.
Non-voluntary and voluntary were not adequately explained to me when I was marching up and down my A&E cell in a black sea of misery. I wanted to go to hospital because I thought I'd get help (the reality is it's just a holding pen with no therapy or guidance and you're lumped in with people who mean harm to others). I now know the language to use to be admitted as voluntary, and I think this time I won't have the life change so recently in my mind...it might be easier to navigate
if someone is throwing punches or spitting at me, or the nurses are ignoring me, I won't be so freshly out of a happier life. It will be easier to deal with.

That said, I hope I never have to do anything like hospital again.
Even when I go for check ups unrelated to my mental health or suicidalness, I'm terrified they'll go 'it's a shame about your vision problems, here are three burly men to drag you off to the ward'

Reactions: Saed and Thirdtimesthecharm
aedric_artifact

aedric_artifact

Find me in the sweetest oblivion
Jun 27, 2020
I told my mother that I attempted suicide and she took me to the ER where they soon moved me to the psych ward, even though there was no evidence that I attempted to CTB. No marks or injuries, just my own word.

It sucked by the way. Felt like a lesser version of prison? Lots of crazy people in there... Crazy as in, pulling the fire alarm every hour until security comes in and takes you away, then you resist until they detain you. Like, man, what were you thinking? Sigh.

Also this is in the US.

Reactions: Wolfjob_dayjob and Thirdtimesthecharm
D

Desky

May 15, 2020
Just because some psycho used a really common phrase doesn't mean we should all stop using the english language..

Reactions: SpottedPanda, Whale_bones and Saed
Ijustneeditalltostop

Ijustneeditalltostop

Just a sad old soul searching for a way to escape
May 23, 2020
I personally attempted like 17 times in the last 6 years. I was taken to the hospital nearly 5 times and they let me leave without takin me anywhere.
They don't give a damn here ig

EraseRewind

EraseRewind

Circling the drain
May 13, 2020
My last attempt, 6 days in hospital (uk) then short conversation with Psych team then home with no further action.

wonderworld

wonderworld

w̶o̶n̶d̶e̶r̶w̶o̶r̶l̶d̶
Jun 5, 2020
uk you can get away with it more due to lack of funding/beds and strain on nhs atm.

ItsAllTooLate

ItsAllTooLate

Dancing on the razor's edge
Jul 1, 2020
Here in the US you get taken away to the psych ward if you are caught. Honestly it's so fuckin easy to lie to the doctors about how you're feeling better though, provided you don't have any somatic symptoms from depression or something. Like during one of my hospital stays they noticed I wasn't eating properly because I physically couldn't due to chest anxiety that wouldn't go away. I'm pretty sure that led to the long length of the stay.