BlackCatTalk

BlackCatTalk

StrayCat
Apr 28, 2019
Hello everyone, I found this article and I found it interesting, maybe a little hopeful about my own CTB moment, because that is how I have always believed, that my mother and my little Divi will be there, maybe he too ...

The moving phenomenon a doctor discovered in the dying people he attends

One of the most devastating elements of the coronavirus pandemic has been the inability to personally care for loved ones who have become ill.

Time and again, grieving family members have recounted how more devastating their loved one's death was because they were unable to hold their hand to provide a comforting, familiar presence in their final days and hours.

Some had to say their last goodbye through the screen of a mobile phone held by a healthcare worker. Others resorted to using walkie-talkies or greeting family members through windows.

How can you overcome the overwhelming pain and guilt that comes when you think of a loved one dying alone?
I don't have an answer to this question. But the work of a palliative care physician named Christopher Kerr, with whom I wrote the book Death Is But a Dream: Finding Hope and Meaning at Life's End. life "), might offer some comfort.

Unexpected visitors
Early in his career, Dr. Kerr was tasked, like all physicians, with the physical care of his patients.

But she soon noticed a phenomenon experienced nurses were already used to.

As patients approached death, many had dreams and visions of deceased loved ones returning to comfort them in their final days.

Clinicians are trained to interpret these events as delusional or drug-induced hallucinations that could warrant further medication or full sedation.

But seeing the peace and comfort that these end-of-life experiences seemed to provide her patients, Kerr decided to pause and listen.

One day in 2005, a dying patient named Mary had one of those visions: She began to move her arms as if cradling a baby, cradling her son who had died in infancy decades earlier.

To Kerr, this did not seem like cognitive decline. It was asked what would happen if patients' own perceptions at the end of life had an impact on their well-being in a way that nurses, chaplains, and social workers should not be concerned about.

What would medical care look like if all the doctors also stopped and listened?

The project begins
Thus, seeing dying patients call upon loved ones, many of whom they had not seen, touched or heard for decades, he began to collect and record testimonies of those who were dying.

Over 10 years, Kerr and his research team recorded the end-of-life experiences of 1,400 patients and families.

What he discovered amazed him. More than 80% of his patients, regardless of social background, origin or age group, had experiences at the end of life that seemed to involve more than strange dreams.

These were vivid, meaningful, and transformative. And they always increased in frequency near death.

They included visions of long-lost mothers, fathers and relatives, as well as dead pets returning to comfort their former owners.

It was about resurrected relationships, revived love, and accomplished forgiveness. They often brought comfort and support, peace and acceptance.

• Love
Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus, GarageKarate07, Bedrock48 and 3 others
ClairyFairy

ClairyFairy

Wizard
Jan 22, 2021
Wow that sounds fantastical. I have never heard anything about this phenomenon. Imagine if it was true. It's like when Harry potter's got hold of the ressurection stone before he goes to meet voldy

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and BlackCatTalk
GarageKarate07

GarageKarate07

Wizard
Aug 18, 2020
Humans acting like humans!? Who would have thought that this would be the right way to go about things? Listening to people who are about to die? Why would anyone want to do that? It's kind people like this that break the mold. Sadly after these people pass on (Kerr) not many seem to want to take up the work and pass the torch so that a study like this would continue. Give the dying less psycho drugs and let them die in full faculties of their minds. Pain meds maybe but let them be sober when they pass. Gramma is only talking crazy because they gave her 5 different horse pills to keep her mellow. Let them cry if they need to. Let them scream if thats what they want. They are dying. They/we should be allowed to go in any manner we see fit. Isn't this one of the romantic ideas that is greatly associated with taking your own life? Having some sort of control after being told "no" for most of your life?

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus and BlackCatTalk
W

watchingthewheels

Enlightened
Jan 23, 2021
I take stories like this with a grain of salt, because they're near-impossible to prove, and are usually anecdotal, at best. That said...I do find it intriguing, and it does have me wondering about something...I personally think I'm nearing my own time, soon. I'm not currently physically ill, but can feel "my time" coming sooner than later...and lately, I've been having recurring visions of random moments, but not of people as much as places and times from my past. Not even trying to think about them, but in the middle of doing something task or project, I'll have a random vision of a place or scene from my past. Although I've had moments of synchronicity and recurring dreams in the past, this is a new phenomenon for me.

I don't know if it's related to my desire to CBT or the sense that my time is coming (I've always felt, even as a child, that I'd not live longer than 50, and I'm almost there), but it does make me think of the anecdotes of seeing past loved ones in the original post. Take this for what you will, but I'd be interested to know if anyone else has experienced anything similar the closer they get...

Reactions: Some1's_Wasted_Fetus