L

lemonhoney

Sep 29, 2022
How does one get over disassociation ? I feel like I'm playing the worst first person POV video game ever.

I come off as normal to other ppl, maybe a bit shy and odd, but I don't feel like I'm in my body.

I barely look at the mirror nowadays. I have no perception of who I am

• Hugs
Reactions: Cathy Ames, MountainMonkey, Ligeia and 3 others
T

timf

Enlightened
Mar 26, 2020
Disassociation can be the result of trauma, developmental limits, or even neurological configuration (anxieties etc.)

To experiment with reducing it, you may wish to start with small temporary attempts to reach out. For example, a visit to a pet store might allow feelings of affection for puppies, yet risk no long term connections. Striking up short conversations with a local store clerk might allow a tenuous connection.

You might even manage to work your way up to joining a group like a book club.

Emptying oneself can be a way to protect oneself. Opening oneself can involve a degree of risk but can also allow one to be filled.

Reactions: Cathy Ames, Ligeia and Venus13
Venus13

Venus13

Experienced
Oct 2, 2022
I have that problem too.

My focus is grounding techniques. No mental or abstract work, actually from what I know trying to overcome by yourself with thoughts can leave you more mixed up and faded out. Therapy and processing should probably be part of the treatment though. My go-to is conscious and mindful bathing. Slow showers embracing all the feelings and scents. Light yoga or some kind of movement therapy, maybe mindful walking outside or dance. You have to find what you like.

I basically do sense therapy. I wear a pleasant light fragrance to engage my sense of smell, movement and showers for touch, sit by open windows for sight and all other senses really, mindful eating for taste, gentle music for hearing. If it's a bad moment and you need a quick fix gently rubbing your arms. I tend to tap or rub my chest to get back into my body in bad moments.

I think it's important to talk to someone about this. Even if it's just coming to the forum and discussing your feelings. I think engaging with someone outside yourself helps you reconnect with your existence and your presence in physical form. If you try to navigate from an internal place all alone I find you can grow more detached. That's been my experience at least. For this particular problem engaging the senses and the external world is what brings me back into you body and back into the self.

Reactions: Cathy Ames, GrumpyFrog, Ligeia and 1 other person
Dead Ghost

Dead Ghost

Mestre del Temps
May 6, 2022
What I need when it happens to me is to isolate myself from everyone and relax, because it is due to anxiety.
I remember that I always started to see everything a bit blurry and curiously when people spoke to me they didn't do it in front of me but to the side (everything was like shifted a little to one side)... I asked one person (there for 2003-2004) that where he was talking I was in front of him and he looked at me surprised.

It wasn't until 2018 that it hit me really hard (lasted 15 days), I saw everything in a pink hue and didn't recognize my house, my room, or my personal belongings as mine . Everything was very strange.

But that's what I do, isolate myself from everything and everyone and wait... what I don't know will happen next time (because it will happen, that's for sure).

//

Jo el que necessito quan em passa és aïllar-me de tothom i relaxar-me, doncs es deu a l'ansietat.
M'enrecordo que sempre començava per veure-ho tot una mica borrós i curiosament la gent quan em parlava no ho feia davant meu sinó al costat (tot estava com desplaçat una mica cap a un costat)... li vaig preguntar a una persona (allà pel 2003-2004) que on parlava que jo estava davant seu i em va mirar estranyada.

No va ser fins el 2018 que em va agafar ben fort (em va durar 15 dies), ho vaig veure tot d'una tonalitat rosada i no reconeixia com a meus ni la meva casa, ni la meva habitació, ni els meus objectes personals. Tot era molt estrany.

Però es això el que faig, aïllar-me de tot i tothom i esperar.. el que no se que passarà la propera vegada (perque passarà, això segur).

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Cathy Ames, Alayna and Ligeia