maatsfeather

maatsfeather

mentally ill shut-in
Feb 24, 2022
I am currently in the process of trying to get DAC/adult child disability SSDI. I have struggled with serious mental illness since I was 12 years old, and it impedes my ability to work, go to school, drive, ect. It has made me a completely isolated shut-in. I also believe I may have undiagnosed autism/aspergers along with these illnesses, which makes things even more stressful. I have been denied by Social Security twice now, and my upcoming ALJ case is not looking any better. Despite the severity of my illnesses, they say I can work. If I get denied ultimately, I strongly believe it is very likely I will end up CBTing in the months after. My illnesses have ruined my whole life, and these people simply don't care. I'm likely going to admit myself into the psych ward today because of the suicidal ideation being so strong but I really have no idea what I will do if I get denied again. CBT seems like the only answer right now.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
  • Aww..
  • Love
Reactions: bad luck, Manaaja, Someone123 and 9 others
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Do you have an attorney representing you?

maatsfeather

maatsfeather

mentally ill shut-in
Feb 24, 2022
Do you have an attorney representing you?
Yes, I do.
My current "doctor" (who is not a psychiatrist, but something else I forget the name of) so far has been unwilling to help. I am on Medi-Cal and can't afford/find an actual psychiatrist. The ALJ judge has a 53% denial rate and all the comments wrote about how uncaring and dismissive she was.

• Hugs
  • Yay!
Reactions: Dead Meat and Famous Last Words
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
I'm sorry you are going through this. I know that this life can be unbearable when you are suffering so much. It is so unfair what is happening to you and some people are just so insensitive. I wish you the best in whatever happens.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Manaaja, Dead Meat and maatsfeather
DisillusionedDragon

DisillusionedDragon

Pessimist/Antinatalist
Nov 25, 2020
I'm sorry you have to go through that. This world is so cruel. Governments have millions for the most stupid shit but not a penny for people like you. What a beautiful world.
And crazy how that one person will decide over your entire life. I really hope you won't get denied, even if it is unlikely.
Sending strength your way

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Toxic Positivity, maatsfeather and Foresight
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
I've been on SSDI since 2002. I simply could no longer cope physically or mentally with my job. Paid an attorney about $2,000 to represent my case. If I had been denied, I'd be gone by now. Wishing the person who started this thread the best.

• Hugs
Reactions: Hotsackage
BrokenBliss

BrokenBliss

Invisible. Apparently.
Jan 11, 2022
Yes, I have no doubt that I finally (after 2 years) got my SSDI approved because I had legal representation. Usually they do not take any payment unless they win your case -- then they take a percentage of your initial reward. It's definitely worth it, because having that income can change your life. Your settlement when you win your case is retroactive from the date you applied, so it's a big check. Mine went back over two years, so was five figures. I did not mind the attorney taking a cut from that. And the SS guaranteed monthly deposit into my bank account has paid for my rent ever since. I was also able to buy a brand new computer system so I could get a part-time job thru SS Ticket to Work. That paid for the rest of my bills.

Reactions: Ligottian
L

Ligottian

Elementalist
Dec 19, 2021
Yes, I have no doubt that I finally (after 2 years) got my SSDI approved because I had legal representation. Usually they do not take any payment unless they win your case -- then they take a percentage of your initial reward. It's definitely worth it, because having that income can change your life. Your settlement when you win your case is retroactive from the date you applied, so it's a big check. Mine went back over two years, so was five figures. I did not mind the attorney taking a cut from that. And the SS guaranteed monthly deposit into my bank account has paid for my rent ever since. I was also able to buy a brand new computer system so I could get a part-time job thru SS Ticket to Work. That paid for the rest of my bills.
Congratulations! My attorney was great, worth every penny I paid him.

Reactions: BrokenBliss