S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
Where do you draw the line for this, for me personally, as long as the one being helped wants help is actually helped and is not questioned about a payment it's fine. Regardless of why the other party had helped.
I help people sometimes because I get a food feeling out of it, does that mean I have a savior complex?
Don't normal people try to help others because it makes themselves happy? So like where do you draw the line.

• Hugs
Reactions: Serial Experi Pain
Serial Experi Pain

Serial Experi Pain

I hate me more :P
Sep 12, 2023
I have an issue where I will help others until it hurts me in ways I cannot fix...
Then I will apologize for everything and make excuses as to why people should actually hate me, so it's okay for them to abuse me.

I would be the last person in the world to ask.

darkenmydoorstep

darkenmydoorstep

Not Waving But Browned Off….
Sep 27, 2023
Where do you draw the line for this, for me personally, as long as the one being helped wants help is actually helped and is not questioned about a payment it's fine. Regardless of why the other party had helped.
I help people sometimes because I get a food feeling out of it, does that mean I have a savior complex?
Don't normal people try to help others because it makes themselves happy? So like where do you draw the line.
As I understand 'saviour complex' (by what I've observed) the difference is often about how much of an obsession it is for the person doing the saving and how the person is reliant on some sort of feedback be it gratitude or stubbornness to overcome. Goodwill needs no such feedback to exist.
Many of the people who become fixated on wanting to 'save' others, like to take the spotlight away from themselves and their own flaws/troubles.

Last edited:
Reactions: Scythe
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I'd say it's when the recipient is actively refusing 'help' but the person just carries on bulldozing over them. I can understand how families and loved ones make the hard decision that an intervention might be needed with someone they care about. But for a stranger to attempt to do it- that feels more like an imposition.

I guess that's the other thing- I think it's mainly strangers I would label with a 'saviour complex'. When that person becomes known to you- they probably genuinely care. Maybe these strangers genuinely care about everyone but I kind of doubt it. I think it tends to be more about their own ego. Maybe it comes from a good place. Presumably, they love life and want others to experience that too.

Still- there's a difference between trying to help people and getting annoyed with them if they won't change. That I find tends to happen with pro-lifers here. They start off pleasant but- if you won't play ball, they start to resort to guilt trips. That isn't about caring- that's about shaming and emotionally blackmailing someone to stay here.