N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
Maybe I am overreacting but I am angry. It is a long story and I am not sure how fair I am. I am just really angry.

Okay my favorite leftwing German media outlet published a leading article two weeks ago with the title "Die Verhöhnung der Arbeit" (=the ridiculing of work). It agitated against unemployed people. It was very populistic. There was a debate in our society/parliament about a welfare reform. As many of you might know I am extremely anxious about poverty and I think it will contribute to my suicide. So I was pretty disappointed by the magazine.

The media pressured the parties and influenced the German people to be more tough on these lazy unemployed people. It is a fact that many unemployed people have health issues. I read 1/3 are mentally ill. And today I heard 50% of them have health issues. So the new law got way worse and was affirmed by the parliament this week.

And today the magazine published a new leading article. "Assisted suicide? It also has to be about about helping to live". (in German this sounds better)
I don't really disagree with many things that are argumented in that article. Elderly deserve better treatment and talking about this stigmatized topic should be more done in an open manner.

Though how stupid are you? How cheap is it to demand more help for vulnerable people when just recently the law about welfare was passed? And you agitated against helping vulnerable people. They would say well we also need to focus on new assisted suicide laws. The new article is more focused on elderly people. Well I have a secret to tell you. Elderly people also suffer from poverty. This is why you see them in the citys always when they collect returnable bottles.
The last suggestion of this new leading article is: Well sometimes talking about suicide is even enough to prevent a suicide. Admittedly there is probably some truth in it. It is probably one reason why this forum helps me to cope with my daily suicidal thoughts. Though I have an even better suggestion. What about helping people in a substantial way with more than some words? What about improving their life materially? Poverty is often a huge factor when people commit suicide.

I just find it pretty cheap now to play the savior of the vulnerable people when they just agitated against helping them two weeks ago. The voice of the media mattered concerning this welfare reform. I can understand that there have to be heterogenous opinions on it. But such a populistic agitation title as the leading article is digusting. Yeah it does not matter anymore to give very smart and humanistic experts on welfare a voice when the decision is already made. And you reinforced negative and false stereotypes on poor people. You had your chance and you did not fulfil your responsiblity.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Painfu.Ll.suffering, Seaghost, LonelyKitten and 4 others
Insomniac

Insomniac

𝔄 𝔲 𝔱 𝔦 𝔰 𝔪
May 21, 2021
Maybe I am overreacting but I am angry.
you're not overreacting. of all the people, they really chose to hate on the most harmless group: unemployed people.

lol. I have got issues myself but they're mentally ill too.

Imagine feeling frustrated because not everyone is trying to be a brainless ant like you and does more harm than good through this thing called "work" (to me it just looks like they spend 8h of their days throwing valuable resources away from the comfort of their bullshit's job offices.

a lot more people should just stay home and save gaz

Reactions: BipolarExpress
L

Lydia12

Sep 10, 2023
Maybe I am overreacting but I am angry. It is a long story and I am not sure how fair I am. I am just really angry.

Okay my favorite leftwing German media outlet published a leading article two weeks ago with the title "Die Verhöhnung der Arbeit" (=the ridiculing of work). It agitated against unemployed people. It was very populistic. There was a debate in our society/parliament about a welfare reform. As many of you might know I am extremely anxious about poverty and I think it will contribute to my suicide. So I was pretty disappointed by the magazine.

The media pressured the parties and influenced the German people to be more tough on these lazy unemployed people. It is a fact that many unemployed people have health issues. I read 1/3 are mentally ill. And today I heard 50% of them have health issues. So the new law got way worse and was affirmed by the parliament this week.

And today the magazine published a new leading article. "Assisted suicide? It also has to be about about helping to live". (in German this sounds better)
I don't really disagree with many things that are argumented in that article. Elderly deserve better treatment and talking about this stigmatized topic should be more done in an open manner.

Though how stupid are you? How cheap is it to demand more help for vulnerable people when just recently the law about welfare was passed? And you agitated against helping vulnerable people. They would say well we also need to focus on new assisted suicide laws. The new article is more focused on elderly people. Well I have a secret to tell you. Elderly people also suffer from poverty. This is why you see them in the citys always when they collect returnable bottles.
The last suggestion of this new leading article is: Well sometimes talking about suicide is even enough to prevent a suicide. Admittedly there is probably some truth in it. It is probably one reason why this forum helps me to cope with my daily suicidal thoughts. Though I have an even better suggestion. What about helping people in a substantial way with more than some words? What about improving their life materially? Poverty is often a huge factor when people commit suicide.

I just find it pretty cheap now to play the savior of the vulnerable people when they just agitated against helping them two weeks ago. The voice of the media mattered concerning this welfare reform. I can understand that there have to be heterogenous opinions on it. But such a populistic agitation title as the leading article is digusting. Yeah it does not matter anymore to give very smart and humanistic experts on welfare a voice when the decision is already made. And you reinforced negative and false stereotypes on poor people. You had your chance and you did not fulfil your responsiblity.
makes me rage too, also the friendly number below EVERY suicide article information from suicide hotlines 🤬 F U Telefonseelsorge!

Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu
Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Tokugawa_Yoshinobu

Arcanist
Sep 10, 2023
Hallo und Moin,

I'm German as well and grew up in poverty because my parents were unemployed. I never knew anything else other than poverty and get discriminated against because for being poor. Let's just say I never had a choice to begin with and yes being poor does factor into wanting to commit suicide. It's not the only reason but it's one of them.

I'm angered by stuff like this as well but people can sh*t on the poor all they want apparently...

• Hugs
Reactions: Seaghost and LonelyKitten
N

noname223

Angelic
Aug 18, 2020
This is one of my favorite threads I ever posted. Recently there is again agitation from politicians and media against unemployed people.

The German media ignores this forum. I think they fear the streisand effect. Though I could imagine they can't ignore it forever.
I like to call out the German media and politicians because they are so hypocritical. Poverty will be a main reason for my suicide. Poverty is for so many a main reason for suicide everyone knows it but it is more comfortable to blame an online suicide forum.

I am so sick of them. I wonder whether any German journalist follows this forum. There was one article of a very very small outlet. And some clicksbait articles related to this forum.

• Love
Reactions: Tokugawa_Yoshinobu