• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

daocreator

daocreator

Unstable uni student
Nov 29, 2023
Hello there, been a while since I sent a post here.

I'm just asking since I'm starting to think of why I'm the way I am. And honestly I am starting to realise it's because some parts of my childhood being blurred.
This is not a vent, so I'll keep it short: I believed that I had a pretty "normal" childhood, but... whenever I try to recall I don't remember anything. And when I do, it's bits and pieces with a bit of melancholic nostalgia mixed in.

So, the question is, do we all originally reeeeeally have a reason why we are the way we are?

Because, honestly, I can somehow manage my life on my own if I continue putting on hard work. But no matter how hard I try on improving my mental health, it's just stale with no improvement whatsoever. Like, whatever work I'm doing is simply to have a normal any guy's life: that pays the bills and can buy whatever I may need.

But I simply am losing interest as time goes by in all of my previous interests. Like, I liked writing for example, but now I don't have the same excitement for it anymore. Much less enthusiasm for reading books too.

Soo, to sum all this up (and thank you for reading all up to this btw), would anything regarding mental health have a reason for it?,

Reactions: Forever Sleep
enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
It's normal to not remember your childhood there's a process in the brain that erases it just like how it works for dreams. But to answer the question no my life is just endlessly traumatising. I don't have the luxury to dwell only the childhood part.

S

sos

Jul 22, 2024
i believe that everything has a reason.

losing interest in things you've enjoyed before doesn't have to mean anything special really.

we all lose interest in something we used to enjoy at some point. that's when you're being challenged to find something that fills up that empty gap.

Reactions: enduringwinter
daocreator

daocreator

Unstable uni student
Nov 29, 2023
It's normal to not remember your childhood there's a process in the brain that erases it just like how it works for dreams. But to answer the question no my life is just endlessly traumatising. I don't have the luxury to dwell only the childhood part.
It doesn't have to be childhood, per se. Like some certain incident that made us this way?
I heard somewhere that when there's a memory that's traumatising enough for you not to handle, your brain's automatic self-mechanism is to fog it or simply forget it?

Like, that could be a reason. But this is all a discussion so I'm not really sure

enduringwinter

enduringwinter

flower, water
Jun 20, 2024
It doesn't have to be childhood, per se. Like some certain incident that made us this way?
I heard somewhere that when there's a memory that's traumatising enough for you not to handle, your brain's automatic self-mechanism is to fog it or simply forget it?

Like, that could be a reason. But this is all a discussion so I'm not really sure
I seriously doubt that, I remember all the nastiest memories and my mother recalls in vivid details her war torn childhood every night.

daocreator

daocreator

Unstable uni student
Nov 29, 2023
i believe that everything has a reason.

losing interest in things you've enjoyed before doesn't have to mean anything special really.

we all lose interest in something we used to enjoy at some point. that's when you're being challenged to find something that fills up that empty gap.
Well, I wouldn't have mentioned that for nothing, really.
So I've been trying to get better for a while now, yet I looked it up and:
[-Relation between waning hobbies/interests and mental health decline?

When this loss of interest is ongoing or recurring, it may indicate a worsening mental health condition.]

Which means instead of making myself better I'm actually getting worse? Idk the credibility of this but it's on many websites.

Mirrory Me

Mirrory Me

"Life's a mirror, but 'whose' mirror?"
Mar 23, 2023
How old are you? I guess it's quite common that you don't remember everything from your early childhood, only a few moments remain permanently in your mind (those that might be important when putting together "puzzles".). Childhood really "hints" quite a lot about our life and future, (like for example, what is our so-called "life purpose" or rather our calling, by asking "what activities did I do when I was a kid / what did I enjoy doing?"). Getting "bored" with your craft and interest is only natural as we age, but you could find that spark back somehow, or perhaps discover something new about it.

Reactions: Grimpoteuthis
S

sos

Jul 22, 2024
Well, I wouldn't have mentioned that for nothing, really.
So I've been trying to get better for a while now, yet I looked it up and:
[-Relation between waning hobbies/interests and mental health decline?

When this loss of interest is ongoing or recurring, it may indicate a worsening mental health condition.]

Which means instead of making myself better I'm actually getting worse? Idk the credibility of this but it's on many websites.
what is it that you're doing to get better

Grimpoteuthis

Grimpoteuthis

Your deep sea friend
Jul 1, 2023
Well even events from infancy that certainly almost no one will have memories of can influence later psychological developments and this is proven by many experiments on attachment styles. One extreme example would be reactive attachment disorder. It is normal to forget about your childhood, but suppression of memory is also possible. Losing interest in things is unfortunately a common thing we all experience and what separates it from being normal is the inability to form new interests imo.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I think our childhoods have a profound effect on who we are. They are our 'formative years'- they form who we are. We learn so much when we're young but I'd say, we don't necessarily have the emotional capability or knowledge to handle certain things.

We maybe won't question why that person is bullying us. Why even our parents are being abusive or neglectful. I think, as a child we're far more likely to just accept and internalise all the bad stuff that happens. I think it very likely that a lot of people here had some sort of trauma in childhood. A lot of people started having ideation as children. I don't see how that couldn't affect who we become as adults. It's baggage we continue to carry around with us.

As for your situation- losing interest in things that once brought you joy. That's a common symptom of depression I believe. Sadly though, I think it's also quite common as we progress through adulthood. Both a friend and I noticed we'd lost some of our enthusiasm for things. I suppose when you're young, it's all new- which makes it exciting. Plus, I simply think we have far fewer responsibilities when we're young. As adults, we likely have far more worries at the back of our minds. I don't think that's necessarily down to something that happened in childhood (although, I suppose it could be.) I feel it more likely that particular symptom arises as a consequence of growing up and just getting jaded by life.