franzkafka

franzkafka

Aug 1, 2024
Hello,

First time posting something on this forum, I'm a lurker for over 2 years, on and off.

I'm diagnosed with BPD and a bunch of other shits that are not important for this discussion.

I was wondering if any of you guys took mood stabilizers for BPD (if it was lamitrogine even better) and how much it helped you?
I know that it takes some time for this type of med to work, but it's been 6 weeks already and I don't see any kind of improvement, I'm getting triggered the same as before treatment and my emotions are over 100 all the fucking time. I'm currently at 100 mg which is not really the most recommended dose, although I saw people that took even less than that and it helped them. Of course, I know it's different for everyone and every body reacts differently to treatment but I'm struggling with BPD for over 11 years + 4 other separate mental health issues and it's a living hell.

Did it help you at all? After how long? Would like to hear some stories. Thanks!

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori
Tommen Baratheon

Tommen Baratheon

1+1=3
Dec 26, 2023
I'm taking lithium for bipolar. I wasn't aware they advise mood stabilisers for borderline. I've been 'stable' between 1998 and 2006. After that quetiapine was added (in the US they use this as monotherapy/mood stabiliser) and it worked for some time, but I've been all over the place (mostly down) for some time now.

If it doesn't work for you I'd suggest you talk about it with your psychiatrist.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and franzkafka
P

pulleditnearlyoff

Student
Apr 26, 2024
Tried about 4 antipsychotics, lithium, five AD's…nothing really works for me. I only feel more tired and my anhedonia gets even worse. Only lorazepam helps me to relax a little when I'm superstressed or can't handle my emotions anymore. Now I'm of all meds (except the lorazepam once in a while), and feel more stable and more relaxed than on meds. But I guess it's different for everybody.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and franzkafka
franzkafka

franzkafka

Aug 1, 2024
I'm taking lithium for bipolar. I wasn't aware they advise mood stabilisers for borderline. I've been 'stable' between 1998 and 2006. After that quetiapine was added (in the US they use this as monotherapy/mood stabiliser) and it worked for some time, but I've been all over the place (mostly down) for some time now.

If it doesn't work for you I'd suggest you talk about it with your psychiatrist.
From what I've seen about lamitrogine and BPD it's kinda pretty common to take this med. I don't know if every mood stabilizer used mostly in bipolar as you said is also used for BPD, but this med especially is pretty often prescribed.
I personally never found someone with BPD that takes lithium, maybe it's not that common.
I think I'll talk with my therapist because as of now I see no difference at all.

Thanks and I hope it gets better to you as well.
Tried about 4 antipsychotics, lithium, five AD's…nothing really works for me. I only feel more tired and my anhedonia gets even worse. Only lorazepam helps me to relax a little when I'm superstressed or can't handle my emotions anymore. Now I'm of all meds (except the lorazepam once in a while), and feel more stable and more relaxed than on meds. But I guess it's different for everybody.
I'm glad to hear that you are doing better. May I ask you how did you manage to become more stable without meds?
For me personally, I wasn't *that* much of a bpd-er but the more I got older that more intense I got, probably because of all the trumas acumulated over the years.

Reactions: Tommen Baratheon
LunarLight

LunarLight

i'm a loser, a failure
Apr 3, 2024
Tried lamotrigine and lithium, it didn't work at all, but I'm really insensitive to meds.

kittyshole

kittyshole

Art is my passion
Oct 23, 2023
Frankly most of them have made me worse, but thats probably because my child psychologist dumped a bunch of anti-depressants and anti-psychotics on me age 10, so a lot of things just feel odd to me, I raw dog life atp