• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

P

PlaceCalledHome

Apr 20, 2020
For me, it got better somewhat. I managed to repair some relationships. I made some friends. I got a partner. I have a decent job and apartment. For a while I didn't want to kill myself, or at least it wasn't at the forefront of my mind.

But now I can see that my new relationship is going nowhere. He's an alcoholic, relies on me to support him as he's very reckless with money, and regularly disappears while binge drinking, making me sick with worry. He's been in trouble with the law for assault and reckless/drunk driving. He's assaulted me numerous times in a drunken rage, choking me, kicking me, and dragging me across the room by my feet. I have a permanent injury from where he pushed me on the stairs. He says he has trauma but refuses to get help for any of his issues. My family found out that he has assaulted me (which I didn't want them to know) and they now refuse to have contact with him and want me to leave him. I became pregnant to him 2 years ago and got a termination as I didn't want a child growing up around poverty and violence. I'm in my mid 30s now and that may have been my last chance to have a child.

Regardless, he's all I have in many ways so I can't bring myself to leave him. I'm autistic, mentally ill, and not physically attractive so my chances of finding someone else are non-existent. I also don't want to lose my apartment, as I'm terrified of being homeless again and my apartment is one of the few things I feel happy and proud about.

I have very few friends and find it hard to connect with people. My contract at work runs out soon and I have to apply for another job and I'm not sure my performance has been good enough. I struggle with work due to my autism, adhd, mental health, in addition to the stress at home. I'm bad at "networking" and making "work friends" and I feel like a lot of my colleagues think I'm a loser. I also don't feel that my job is well matched to my skills, but it's very difficult to find jobs that are. Unfortunately I'm not the "IT genius" flavour of autistic, I'm just of average intelligence with no profitable/marketable skills or interests.

But what breaks my heart most of all is that my little sister, who I love more than anything and who was the one reason I didn't give up on life years ago, seems to dislike me for some reason. I buy her everything she wants, I've gone broke getting her expensive gifts. I help with her homework and have flat out done assignments *for* her when she's been busy and overwhelmed. I always try to show her nothing but kindness and encouragement, and I don't burden my family with my problems. But she doesn't like me or want to spend time with me. I'm assuming it's my autism and that she's embarrassed of me. Even though I try my best to fit in, I feel like my whole family just see me as the "weird one" and look down on me. I know I can't say or do anything about it except just be sad.

I went to the doctor recently about my fatigue, hoping it was anemia or something, and they told me it was just depression. I have nightmares and broken sleep every night. I constantly dream about my grandma who I lost when I was 12 who was always kind and encouraging to me. I dream about the last time I had good friends, being in school where I was still happy and we didn't judge each other over jobs or marital status. I dream about when my sister was very little and she still loved me, more than perhaps anyone else ever did. The times we spent together were the only truly happy times in my adult life.

In some ways, I wish I didn't know what happiness or hope or acceptance felt like so I didn't have to have a glimpse into how other people live.

I guess at the end of the day, it doesn't matter how much you work to try and improve yourself - being autistic and being ugly will always sabotage everything in the end.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: sancta-simplicitas and LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Hi may I ask what is good about your relationship? Are you living in fear of him? It sounds like you might be ready to get rid of him. If he behaves like this he might well do you a lot more harm.

I just had a break up with my boyfriend of a year. He is a cokehead and a drinker and likes to vandalise street furniture. I wasn't enjoying it but it was company. The red line for me came when he robbed me and left me stranded without my phone in the city we were visiting. He went on a drinking binge with my debit card. He also threatened to break my jaw and kept accusing me of cheating though he had cheated. In the end, I was kind of grateful that he made it impossible for me to stay with him. I wouldn't have broken it off otherwise.

When we travelled to the city we were surrounded by 'normal' people having 'normal' conversations while he was either accusing me of cheating or talking about smoking crack.

I think what I'm saying is I know what it's like to settle for something you are not enjoying…but also there has to be a time when your safety etc comes first.

P

PlaceCalledHome

Apr 20, 2020
Hi may I ask what is good about your relationship? Are you living in fear of him? It sounds like you might be ready to get rid of him. If he behaves like this he might well do you a lot more harm.

I just had a break up with my boyfriend of a year. He is a cokehead and a drinker and likes to vandalise street furniture. I wasn't enjoying it but it was company. The red line for me came when he robbed me and left me stranded without my phone in the city we were visiting. He went on a drinking binge with my debit card. He also threatened to break my jaw and kept accusing me of cheating though he had cheated. In the end, I was kind of grateful that he made it impossible for me to stay with him. I wouldn't have broken it off otherwise.

When we travelled to the city we were surrounded by 'normal' people having 'normal' conversations while he was either accusing me of cheating or talking about smoking crack.

I think what I'm saying is I know what it's like to settle for something you are not enjoying…but also there has to be a time when your safety etc comes first.
I'm really sorry to hear about your experience and I'm glad you got the strength to leave. That sounds awful.

In my case, he can be very nice when he's not drunk and I guess it's company I'd otherwise not have - I don't care too much for my safety since I feel like my life has no value anyway.