StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Dormies sicut stellae luceant
Aug 18, 2023
I am 24, M if that's any help. I'm pretty sure at this age, heart attacks or cardiac arrest is extremely unlikely.

But I have been drinking an unhealthy amount of coffee followed by also an equally unhealthy amount of alcohol (but not enough to make me wasted, just drunk on low-mid level). I was also under a lot of stress from work, so that might also play a factor. The one thing I particularly forgot to do that night is drink water, as I usually stay hydrated (as alcohol and caffeine dehydrates your body), so not drinking water might have played a part.

Just last week before a work day, as I went to sleep, I woke up in the middle of the night with my heart beating abnormally fast and I feel chest pains while I was sweating (even though it's cold as I did not turn on my heater). I don't recall if I had any shortness of breath but it might have been as I was sort of panicking in some sort and sort of resisting death (?) if that's a thing.

I did a bit of research and it might be heart palpitations, however, NHS site notes to call 999 if there is chest pains, which there is.

Having had one of the worst sleeps in my life, I went to work absolutely wrecked which added a lot more stress to the day, I decided not to drink later that night as I should save my booze for ctb (if any) or have a good night alone.

I have heard of a case of a friend of a friend who had a cousin that died in her sleep from excessive stress from her school. But that's just hearsay, though not the least believe case of a young person dying in their sleep due to excess stress.

I plan on continuing this coffee + alcohol cycle in hopes of getting a cardiac arrest at some point, but can someone tell me what I just went through or did I miss a chance of passing away because of that death resistance?

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori and Jealous Blackheart
D

Deleted member 65988

I plan on continuing this coffee + alcohol cycle in hopes of getting a cardiac arrest at some point, but can someone tell me what I just went through or did I miss a chance of passing away because of that death resistance?
I would not advise to take this path whatsoever, even if you do want to continue this cycle which it is your choice after all, you may not get Cardiac arrest as you want may and develop others issues in the long run which will cause more suffering upon yourself and hefty medical costs to keep you functioning.

You may have had heart palpitations, I know them quite well since I've been dealing with them for more than 2 years now and have had times where my heart would struggle to beat which would lead to a rush of a blood to my head and momentary faster breathing but it's always sudden and unexpected, have to take Beta-blockers daily as a result. Nevermind the fact my heart flip-flops between 72-140 bpm if I don't take beta-blockers for even one day.

I don't experience chest pains honestly nor a heaviness in the chest area either so perhaps your case may be more serious however people develop symptoms differently. There's a wide array of coronay diseases so due to your ongoing consumption of coffee and alcohol, it may have offset the balance of a normal heart rhythm. Also, I don't know if death by Cardiopulmonary arrest is even peaceful either but apparently you are absolutely out of it and don't feel a thing but I don't know.

Last edited by a moderator:
  • Informative
Reactions: vampire2002, Skathon, StellaSomnus and 4 others
S

SVEN

Enlightened
Apr 3, 2023
The classic trigger warning is a tingling pain extending down (usually) the left arm. In the circumstances you present, stress, caffeine and alcohol are very capable of causing arhythmia and palpitations; which in turn cause further stress and panic.
The only way to be certain of the cause would involve medical attention, when a blood test would afford confirmation of whether you've had an episode or not.
Attempting to induce a coronary episode is not only a very uncertain method of ctb, it should be mentioned that a heart attack is frequently so appallingly painful that when survived the sufferers have little difficulty in completely changing their lifestyles just to avoid such suffering again.

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon, StellaSomnus, Deleted member 65988 and 2 others
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
I think this is a very unreliable way to hope to have cardiac arrest with that "method". If you really want to know what it was you should visit a doctor specialized in cardiac medicine.

I hope you find peace.

• Informative
Reactions: Skathon, StellaSomnus and voyager
voyager

voyager

Don't you dare go hollow...
Nov 25, 2019
As the others have said, no harm in getting a checkup. Just knowing what's up will truly feel better. Plus, as mentioned, you're unlikely to kill yourself with this method and even if you eventually did it's bound to be ugly. At your age I was drinking heavily too. Pretty much drunk every night (and days too at times) for around four years. Self medicating with alcohol, strong stuff mainly, only drank coke, and smoked too. And here I am almost twice your age. My organs survived, and only after some binge drinking episodes in 2012 did I even get any problems (always having to go to the loo, which is a horrible nuisance, but not deadly). There's better ways to go.

(Medications can be an issue too, if you're taking any, e.g. thyroid)

Reactions: StellaSomnus, Deleted member 65988 and Praestat_Mori
D

Deleted member 65988

As the others have said, no harm in getting a checkup. Just knowing what's up will truly feel better. Plus, as mentioned, you're unlikely to kill yourself with this method and even if you eventually did it's bound to be ugly. At your age I was drinking heavily too. Pretty much drunk every night (and days too at times) for around four years. Self medicating with alcohol, strong stuff mainly, only drank coke, and smoked too. And here I am almost twice your age. My organs survived, and only after some binge drinking episodes in 2012 did I even get any problems (always having to go to the loo, which is a horrible nuisance, but not deadly). There's better ways to go.

(Medications can be an issue too, if you're taking any, e.g. thyroid)
I was thinking of people like in your case, they smoke and they drink as they please and self medicate with all kinds of things but don't get issues until a bit older and it doesn't even kill them.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager
StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Aug 18, 2023
I see. Thank you all for the inputs.

I'll try to avoid this combo then, at least reduce the frequency of alcohol, I should really not rely too much of it to sleep.

I'm aware that heart attacks are painful and I wouldn't want that, though if worse comes to worse I may try go for it with crushed cherry seeds.

I still do hope I get to die in my sleep just like that friend of a friend's cousin.

• Hugs
Reactions: voyager and Praestat_Mori
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
I was thinking of people like in your case, they smoke and they drink as they please and self medicate with all kinds of things but don't get issues until a bit older and it doesn't even kill them.
Hah, yea. Was reckless, would've never thought there'd be another twenty years ahead. We're all different though. Never took to drugs so well and that would've been a different story. The reason I'm mentioning this is because when people hear heavy drinking they might recall some very ugly events from their own lives. I too knew such people. That was never me though. I drank because it allowed me to get in touch with my feelings and dwell on the past. Also helped with anxiety while engaging others or passing a shift. When they fired me I cut down considerably, but never went fully dry, because it was a coping mechanism not an addiction.

Reactions: StellaSomnus and Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

Hah, yea. Was reckless, would've never thought there'd be another twenty years ahead. We're all different though. Never took to drugs so well and that would've been a different story. The reason I'm mentioning this is because when people hear heavy drinking they might recall some very ugly events from their own lives. I too knew such people. That was never me though. I drank because it allowed me to get in touch with my feelings and dwell on the past. Also helped with anxiety while engaging others or passing a shift. When they fired me I cut down considerably, but never went fully dry, because it was a coping mechanism not an addiction.
Interesting, I've heard of it being a coping mechanic but didn't think it was possible.

voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Interesting, I've heard of it being a coping mechanic but didn't think it was possible.
Neither did a psychiatrist I visted years later. When I said treating myself with alcohol (poorly worded) she thought I was an alcoholic in treatment. 😄

Reactions: Deleted member 65988
D

Deleted member 65988

Neither did a psychiatrist I visted years later. When I said treating myself with alcohol (poorly worded) she thought I was an alcoholic in treatment. 😄
Woah that's fascinating.

• Hugs
absolutelyyou

absolutelyyou

peaceful
Jul 26, 2023
This was likely you having an apnea event! Did you also wake up on your back? Alcohol will make apnea more likely as well as sleeping on your back, typically your jaw will go slack and obstruct your airway. The heart racing is what happens when you body struggles for air for too many seconds. Night sweats are also an apnea symptom. The pain could have been from muscles spasm while trying to get air. I went and saw my doctor for this exact thing and it was determined with a sleep study I had a very mild sleep apnea. You can be normal weight or even incredibly fit and still be dealing with apnea. Sleeping on your side will help cut the symptoms likely.

Some other signs you might have sleep apnea that you would not think about: Getting up to pee in the middle of the night (or waking up for 'no real reason' in the night), restless leg syndrome, waking up with a dry/sore throat/nose, early in the day headaches, too tired mid day, and even sleep paralysis.

If you have any question or anything about apnea/its treatments/symptoms or whatever feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to tell you anything I've learned since my diagnosis- but I can tell you this much, if you have apnea and find a treatment that works to alleviate it you will see a genuine improvement in your daily life cause you dont realize just how bad your sleep can be until it gets better!

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: StellaSomnus and voyager
voyager

voyager

Nov 25, 2019
Woah that's fascinating.
Yeah. Thought to her this was common behaviour. Textbookswise they'd probably label it. Took a look, not much applies, thus I was (or still am?) a "functioning" alcoholic (who drinks 4-5 times per annum) deluding themselves and in denial. If it floats their boat, but I'm not even denying it, hehe. Nor am I downplaying drinking as a societal problem. Which is why I agreed with your original post. In fact, had things gone on the body probably would've given in sooner or later, so yeah. But everyone's different and copes in their own way. Do you have any coping mechanisms?

D

Deleted member 65988

Yeah. Thought to her this was common behaviour. Textbookswise they'd probably label it. Took a look, not much applies, thus I was (or still am?) a "functioning" alcoholic (who drinks 4-5 times per annum) deluding themselves and in denial. If it floats their boat, but I'm not even denying it, hehe. Nor am I downplaying drinking as a societal problem. Which is why I agreed with your original post. In fact, had things gone on the body probably would've given in sooner or later, so yeah. But everyone's different and copes in their own way. Do you have any coping mechanisms?
Hmm any coping mechanisms?
none that come to mind honestly like drinking, I use to smoke myself but stopped a few years ago but I suppose one coping mechanism I do have to isolation, I think I prefer to be myself when I'm deep in thought or somethings going on, no one near me either because I don't want them to get the wrong idea that I want to be left alone.

StellaSomnus

StellaSomnus

Aug 18, 2023
This was likely you having an apnea event! Did you also wake up on your back? Alcohol will make apnea more likely as well as sleeping on your back, typically your jaw will go slack and obstruct your airway. The heart racing is what happens when you body struggles for air for too many seconds. Night sweats are also an apnea symptom. The pain could have been from muscles spasm while trying to get air. I went and saw my doctor for this exact thing and it was determined with a sleep study I had a very mild sleep apnea. You can be normal weight or even incredibly fit and still be dealing with apnea. Sleeping on your side will help cut the symptoms likely.

Some other signs you might have sleep apnea that you would not think about: Getting up to pee in the middle of the night (or waking up for 'no real reason' in the night), restless leg syndrome, waking up with a dry/sore throat/nose, early in the day headaches, too tired mid day, and even sleep paralysis.

If you have any question or anything about apnea/its treatments/symptoms or whatever feel free to ask, I'm more than happy to tell you anything I've learned since my diagnosis- but I can tell you this much, if you have apnea and find a treatment that works to alleviate it you will see a genuine improvement in your daily life cause you dont realize just how bad your sleep can be until it gets better!
I see, I think it might have been this, actually.
I often wake up like 1-2 hours before my (work) alarm to go to the toilet or just randomly wake up for no reason, or sometimes on days off I just wake up randomly and try to get back to sleep (albeit, if intoxicated, with a headache).
I do might have restless leg syndrome thanks to my workload at my job, so often my legs are always aching.
The nose and throat is an 'every now and then' occurance, I usually have Lozenges with me in case I do have it.
I'm also always tired mid day regardless of days off or work days, so I'm unable to do the things I enjoy most of the time and procrastinate.
Sleeping paralysis happens around once every 2-3 weeks.

I should find a treatment, what would you recommend for things I can treat myself?

• Hugs
absolutelyyou

absolutelyyou

peaceful
Jul 26, 2023
I see, I think it might have been this, actually.
I often wake up like 1-2 hours before my (work) alarm to go to the toilet or just randomly wake up for no reason, or sometimes on days off I just wake up randomly and try to get back to sleep (albeit, if intoxicated, with a headache).
I do might have restless leg syndrome thanks to my workload at my job, so often my legs are always aching.
The nose and throat is an 'every now and then' occurance, I usually have Lozenges with me in case I do have it.
I'm also always tired mid day regardless of days off or work days, so I'm unable to do the things I enjoy most of the time and procrastinate.
Sleeping paralysis happens around once every 2-3 weeks.

I should find a treatment, what would you recommend for things I can treat myself?
Laying on your side and bolstering pillows around you so you can't turn on your back will help, alcohol will for sure make it worse (but I am mean I still drink sometimes so), if you snore you might get help from mouth tape to keep your mouth shut to force nose breathing. Also having a pre bedtime stretch routine can lessen the restless legs at least a bit