リンさん

リンさん

Rina • she/her, lesbian
Sep 9, 2023
I work a pretty creative job, so by nature, I create things. I don't always like what I create, and sometimes I like my works a lot.

And its so hard for me to receive criticism and not feel like I've been insulted in a very personal way.

I get overly attached to my creations. This is a part of me, even if it's not 100% unique or creative or portrays a personal thing. I even try not to like the result way too much, or get too happy about how it came out, because I know it may not receive the same reaction from other people.

It's hard and heartbreaking. I know people who provide feedback are trying to be (and are) very helpful. Not always nice, but constructive. They're not talking about me, they're not criticizing me. But it sure feels like it at times :(

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: eatantz, cultpup, AllCatsAreGrey and 7 others
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
Yes, I'm the same as you. I think a lot of creative people are. Our work is often our life. We put so much of ourselves into it. It can feel devastating to receive criticism although- it's sadly inevitable. Somehow, some people see creating stuff as an open invitation to criticise it. I struggle too though. Even constructive criticism can really hurt.

• Hugs
Reactions: eatantz, BrainShower, cgrtt.brns and 1 other person
G

godsseepiestsoldier

Oct 22, 2023
Yeah i feel that. When i used to create stuff id be quite dishartened when id show it to people (like my dad or friends) and theyd give me loads of critisism when i never really asked for any. It felt like they were attacking me and something i felt quite proud of. As a result ive abandoned most of my creative passions (and because id get made fun of for having what was considered feminine crafts) only really keeping cooking which i keep hidden and to myself.

• Aww..
Reactions: BrainShower, turnoverover, cgrtt.brns and 1 other person
cgrtt.brns

cgrtt.brns

wandering ghost (he/him)
Apr 19, 2023
it really does suck when you show someone something you made and they immediately start to pick at its flaws like they're a professional art critic. like you wouldn't eat a cake someone made and immediately start telling them how bad at baking they are even though you've never baked anything in your life other than some cupcakes one time in school or something.
i really struggle with my own inner critic too, i havent been able to create anything for so long bc i got fed up of everything i made not being good enough for myself. i stopped being able to enjoy making things and only ever thought of the finished product. i wish i could enjoy it again.

• Hugs
Reactions: リンさん