Davey36000

Davey36000

I'm not the dog in the picture
Jun 12, 2023
This was said by the Buddha 2000+ years ago.

They are the cause of much suffering and stress.

They cause attachment (a bondage, which will eventually cause stress Sooner or later) anxiety (Fear of Missing Out, as our time here is limited and not all of us are rich), depression (the separation from the object of desire causes pain unfulfilled dreams/desires cause pain), and pain itself (there can't be enjoyment without pain or effort of some sort, for me to have a Ferrari I would need to work 100 years or more?).

Over indulgence in enjoyments causes all sort of problems (body problems like diabetes if you have a sugar addiction, brain problems like chemical imbalances which take time to balance, mind problems related to delusional states, delusion and suffering itself).

Ofc if you are a balanced human being, this is irrelevant.

What is the alternative? Maybe to learn moderation (in eating for example), self-restraint to not indulge in what is harmful, being content with what we have, and maybe the wisdom that ultimately desires and pleasure are just that. They are secondary to our existence which is more important. There's nothing inherently good or wholesome in pleasure, unless it is the pleasure of giving or other wholesome desires.

Despite all the boring nonsense I wrote, there is nothing wrong with desires and pleasures, unless you are affected by them, then there is a problem. If we have a drug addict's mentality, always seeking pleasure (which is not exclusive to only drug addicts), like me, then you will always be bound to disappointment.

Even this post will give me pleasure. The pleasure of writing it, the pleasure of someone else reading it, the pleasure of someone else agreeing with it with emojis or the thumbs up icon, the pleasure of someone replying to it, views...

If the mod deletes it at first sight at least someone read something I wrote, even if it was just a word or a comma.

I'm still kinda trapped because like many people we want to o fulfill desires, our dreams, but it isn't always easy for many reasons... And even if we do, another one will arise, and another... We will never be completely 100% at peace.

I understand the Buddha's teaching but obviously I can't integrate into my life.

• Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Forever Sleep and Reuthry
LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Wasn't the Buddha like royalty or something? He was well-positioned to express such a statement.

If one wants to follow his path, it's probably futile to suppress all desires. That only will lead to pain.