Anonymoususer1234

Anonymoususer1234

Experienced
Apr 13, 2023
I feel like I'm disgusting because of the (various) skin conditions that I have since birth. I'm constantly scratching and getting nasty white flakes all over my clothes. I've tried different over the counter remedies but nothing has worked. I'm wondering if maybe it's time to see a dermatologist?

The thought scares me a little, though.

I'm worried that they won't take me seriously. Or that they'll be disgusted by me or judge me for not getting treatment earlier. Most of all I'm worried that if I go they'll give me new insecurities, and try to "treat" things that I had no issues with in the first place. (Like my acne scars for example.)

I've had something like that happen in the past, where a dentist kept pressuring me into "fixing" "flaws" that I didn't even notice or perceive as flaws at all. It made me feel really self conscious and gave me self image issues that didn't exist before. I don't go to the dentist anymore.

I just want to stop feeling itchy all the time. Has anyone here been to a dermatologist before for non cosmetic reasons? What was it like? Did said dermatologist fix or worsen your issues?

(I live in a country with universal healthcare, just in case that's relevant)

cursedcure

cursedcure

palliative care
Oct 8, 2023
hi! i know a dermatologist in my family. i would say that from that family member, they barely do any cosmetic, only medecine. i can also assure you that they won't be disgusted, they have seen way worse, and it's their job. many people go to dermatologists for skin conditions like eczema, psoriasis, moles, etc. most doctors are in the profession because they want to help others (well, i hope so...), there's nothing to be embarrassed about. i understand feeling nervous about going, i would try to research reviews about dermatologists in your area and choose one that seems good for your needs. i hope you get the treatment you need, you shouldn't have to be itchy all the time!!

• Informative
Reactions: carac
carac

carac

"and if this is the end, i am glad i met you."
May 27, 2023
I had the same issue with dentists, I got free dentistry but they would always push treatments I didn't need because they got a pay off for the work the did. But I've changed dentists and they are much better so their not all crooks.

I think you should go for it, you are wiser now so your bullshit detector will be charged :)

Have you considered it could be diet related? if I eat too much dairy it triggers my eczema

TheGoodGuy

TheGoodGuy

Visionary
Aug 27, 2018
Yeah I have seen several because of my psoriasis and the prescription creams I have gotten helps a lot and sometime even remove it entirely for a short while but still my skin conditions make me feel dirty and disgusting I miss the times before I had those conditions which are just one of many of my problems but that alone is a horrible one to suffer from.

Altalune

Altalune

alea iacta est
Oct 21, 2023
Hey man, I'm a med student so I can give you a little insider info. Dermatologists see non-cosmetic patients all the time. They are trained to treat them during their residencies. It's a common misconception that the majority of dermatology patients are purely cosmetic but honestly most of them have actual diseases like psoriasis or various forms of serious eczema. It is routine for them to see these sorts of (and worse) skin diseases and they do not judge you for it. They will immediately assess and treat your condition, it's what they do.

Reactions: sash, Twntysix, raltsrover and 1 other person
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I feel like I'm disgusting because of the (various) skin conditions that I have since birth. I'm constantly scratching and getting nasty white flakes all over my clothes. I've tried different over the counter remedies but nothing has worked. I'm wondering if maybe it's time to see a dermatologist?

The thought scares me a little, though.

I'm worried that they won't take me seriously. Or that they'll be disgusted by me or judge me for not getting treatment earlier. Most of all I'm worried that if I go they'll give me new insecurities, and try to "treat" things that I had no issues with in the first place. (Like my acne scars for example.)

I've had something like that happen in the past, where a dentist kept pressuring me into "fixing" "flaws" that I didn't even notice or perceive as flaws at all. It made me feel really self conscious and gave me self image issues that didn't exist before. I don't go to the dentist anymore.

I just want to stop feeling itchy all the time. Has anyone here been to a dermatologist before for non cosmetic reasons? What was it like? Did said dermatologist fix or worsen your issues?

(I live in a country with universal healthcare, just in case that's relevant)
From what I've read it seems like dermatitis, I have it too. I would, of course, recommend you to go to the dermatologist. They won't judge you, they see cases like yours or worse every single day, plus you'll feel much better. Hugs :D.

Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
It sounds like you could have psoriasis. Psoriasis is one of the many conditions caused by a defective immune system. It's likely that you will need to consult a rheumatologist if this is the case. The immune system needs to be suppressed because it causes excessive production of new skin cells which build up in thick patches. An x-ray can detect psoriatic arthritis which often accompanies the skin legions. Undetected and untreated it causes normal skeletal deterioration to be significantly advanced. Mine has been identified as resembling that of someone twenty years my senior.
Like a great many people with problematic immune systems, it's something they're born with but that is not immediately evident, being triggered by serious illness, traumatic life events or even hormonal changes like puberty and childbirth.
Symptoms experienced may be identified as typical of conditions such as IBS, colitis and Crohn's disease. There are more than 100 autoimmune conditions including celiac disease and type 1 diabetes.