T

The Hunter

Jun 4, 2019
And both with other mental illnesses. A relationship like that would work? or I'm starting to get delusional?

sleepy dog

sleepy dog

Wizard
Sep 13, 2019
And both with other mental illnesses. A relationship like that would work? or I'm starting to get delusional?
I have wondered about that myself.

Reactions: lex and The Hunter
nitrogen

nitrogen

Schrödinger's cat
Nov 5, 2019
You'll either float each other or sink each other.

Reactions: feast or famine, lex, Kassender and 5 others
HereToday

HereToday

Arcanist
Dec 27, 2019
In theory you'd probably relate to each other more and be more likely to make it than a relationship with 1 depressed + 1 'healthy' person, but on the other hand I can just imagine two depressed people would depress each other even more and end up in a joint suicide

sadgirl2002

sadgirl2002

Fallen Angel
Apr 9, 2019
I think it depends on the two people. There is a possibility that it can work since they're able to truly understand each other more than a "normal" person and you've been through similar things. Also, maybe the two can even work towards getting better, for each other's sake. Although, like the user above said, the two depressed people could make each other feel even worse and it'll end up in a joint suicide.

I read this post a while back and it gave me so much hope:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/looking-for-a-friend.13308/post-305877

• Love
Reactions: Red, OreoWellington, The Hunter and 1 other person
T

The Hunter

Jun 4, 2019
I think it depends on the two people. There is a possibility that it can work since they're able to truly understand each other more than a "normal" person and you've been through similar things. Also, maybe the two can even work towards getting better, for each other's sake. Although, like the user above said, the two depressed people could make each other feel even worse and it'll end up in a joint suicide.

I read this post a while back and it gave me so much hope:

https://sanctioned-suicide.net/threads/looking-for-a-friend.13308/post-305877
i liked your link :)

Reactions: sadgirl2002
sadgirl2002

sadgirl2002

Fallen Angel
Apr 9, 2019
i liked your link :)

I loved that story as well. When I first read it, it gave me a lot of motivation. I'm sure there are many stories like that and I think it's a beautiful thing for two people to create a life like that together. It's definitely much better than two "normal" people, that's just my opinion though!

• Love
Reactions: OreoWellington and The Hunter
6ixxy

6ixxy

I sank so she could swim
Apr 26, 2019
From personal experience, one person or the other will drag you down to the point where you can't take it anymore. It's extremely hard work trying to maintain your own mental well-being as well as being somewhat obligated to help your s/o, partner, whatever you want to call it. It's extremely straining for both involved & very difficult to make work, but like I said, only personal experience, it may differ for you or anyone else.

Reactions: Kassender and Kaczka86
D

Darkbrett

Dec 30, 2019
It's what I have now. And she is also on the same page as me when it comes to wanting to ctb. We dont talk about it very often tho.

• Hugs
Reactions: Red and The Hunter
Kaczka86

Kaczka86

Looking for...?
Dec 15, 2019
In my case, sadly, it wasn't working. Two people instead of trying to help each other were too focused on themselves. When you have problems, you want to scream them out, hear a good thing about life, but instead what you get is dragging you down with your own thoughts and your partner's. We probably needed hope for better tomorrow, but well, it ended like it ended. But i'm not saying it won't work for you! All people are different!

From personal experience, one person or the other will drag you down to the point where you can't take it anymore. It's extremely hard work trying to maintain your own mental well-being as well as being somewhat obligated to help your s/o, partner, whatever you want to call it. It's extremely straining for both involved & very difficult to make work, but like I said, only personal experience, it may differ for you or anyone else.
Well said!

Reactions: The Hunter
Despondent

Despondent

Archangel
Dec 20, 2019
You'll either float each other or sink each other.
I'm thinking the same thing. For me, I feel like two people with mental illness, they know what it feels like and will be the most empathetic and protective over each other. But they'll know what each others going through and know that it isn't just a "phase". Maybe it's a different kind of support?
I'm sure there's other reasons also but these came to my head :)

Reactions: GravityUtilizer, The Hunter and Kaczka86
Hollow

Hollow

Dec 30, 2019
This is interesting, I think it all depends on the type of depression and how they are willing to deal with it. Some types of depression are just not compatible to be in a relationship with. Whats comes to mind is crippling anxiety or invasive thoughts. These are things that will cause an imbalance in the relationship and tend to get one sided pretty quick. You have to remember depression isn't just a feeling or a temporary issue which can be fixed by finding someone to love you. It's something you live with, whether you're single or coupled up.

Reactions: Red, ThreeJack and The Hunter
Moonicide

Moonicide

ᴘʜᴀꜱᴇꜱ ᴏꜰ ᴛʜᴇ ᴍᴏᴏɴ
Nov 19, 2019
I do believe it could work as long as both individuals are in treatment + therapy, and are working every single day to improve themselves. Because if you aren't working on yourself, if they aren't working on themselves, the relationship won't be sustainable. Even without mental illness, we are all constantly growing. Relationships change, people change, and so it's very important to grow together and be on the same page.

Reactions: Red, Kaczka86, The Hunter and 1 other person
drake4871

drake4871

The restless
Sep 10, 2019
I've done it before, we both ended up just talking about things and making each other feel better. But I'd totally understand how it could also lead to a joint suicide lmao

Reactions: lex and The Hunter
X

Xiaomi

Gone.
Aug 8, 2020
I guess it's like math in my experience. Two negatives make a positive. Me and my girl openly discuss our feelings, share morbid jokes, cry on shoulders, etc.

Reactions: feast or famine, lex, Red and 1 other person
H

herondale

Aug 17, 2020
I've done it. It is hard sometimes when I feel well, good, happy or whatever but my boyfriend feels sad or wants to die. It affects my mood too. But it helps for the both of us knowing that it's only each other that we have although sometimes when he says he wants to die I wonder if I should say 'so should we just die?' Idk. It can be helpful or not, being in a relationship doesn't mean that your depression will go away. The only thing that's been hard for me since the start is that we're long distance and haven't met each other yet.