W

Willy9

Oct 19, 2020
Why do people say you must be depressed if you want to end your life due to intolerable physical suffering? To me this shows that they can't really empathize or understand my pain. I'm not depressed, but I have physical sensations, pain that is tortuous and can't bear the thought of having to live year after year this way.:aw:

• Hugs
  • Aww..
Reactions: Cursed4ever, All washed up, Superdeterminist and 4 others
H

Heart Shards

The shards of my broken heart cut deep.
Feb 3, 2019
Because they are ignorant of the reasons for suicide. Some have unbearable physical pain, some mental illness, some life situations lack of support in their life. But suicide is most commonly associated with severe depression. In short, lack of education.

Reactions: Ghost2211
G

Ghost2211

Archangel
Jan 20, 2020
A lot of people just can't understand why anyone would want to make the choice to not live and it be rational. The gift of life is just so amazing and valuable we would desire it under any and all conditions or we must be mentally ill.

• Love
Reactions: dropdeadfred and Heart Shards
H

Heart Shards

The shards of my broken heart cut deep.
Feb 3, 2019
A lot of people just can't understand why anyone would want to make the choice to not live and it be rational. The gift of life is just so amazing and valuable we would desire it under any and all conditions or we must be mentally ill.
"Life is a gift." Good ole social conditioning.

Reactions: Superdeterminist, dropdeadfred and Ghost2211
dropdeadfred

dropdeadfred

Boarding the bus to Everlasting Dreamland ♡
Oct 19, 2020
Your post is 100% why suicide should be legal. But the world is inhumane & loves to tag the "mental illness" label on everything so much that even unavoidable, untreatable physical suffering is considered an invalid reason to die.
Hugs. I am so sorry. I hope you are able to get relief.
I'd like a return on my gift, please & thanks.

• Love
Reactions: Heart Shards and Ghost2211
Superdeterminist

Superdeterminist

Enlightened
Apr 5, 2020
It's as philosopher Simon Critchley said:

"If you believe that life is a gift - well what is a gift? A gift is something that you can refuse. A gift isn't a commandment."

Reactions: SmellyRat
SmellyRat

SmellyRat

Arcanist
Nov 5, 2018
It's as philosopher Simon Critchley said:

"If you believe that life is a gift - well what is a gift? A gift is something that you can refuse. A gift isn't a commandment."

It's a shame life doesn't come with a yes or no option when choosing to be born
We can regard our life as a uselessly disturbing episode in the blissful repose of nothingness. - Arthur Schopenhauer

Reactions: Superdeterminist
All washed up

All washed up

Experienced
Oct 31, 2020
Why do people say you must be depressed if you want to end your life due to intolerable physical suffering? To me this shows that they can't really empathize or understand my pain. I'm not depressed, but I have physical sensations, pain that is tortuous and can't bear the thought of having to live year after year this way.:aw:
Do people really say you must be depressed if you want to end your life due to intolerable pain?
Thats such a stupid thing to think.
I suppose we need to someone who thinks that way to get the answer and they are unlikely to be on here