Darkover

Darkover

Angelic
Jul 29, 2021
Everything that's happening in one person's lifetime, we go through losses, humiliation, physical/emotional pain, we know there is an eventual death, that someday this body we have will just rot underground eaten by maggots. The death is not the issue but to know that everything we ever tried was for nothing. I just wonder how is it possible that a human being finds the strength to even get up every morning, go through all this, accept without much complaint all the torture and pain for dozens of years

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Deleted member 31858, myusername890, Jarni and 8 others
PrisonPlanetBreak

PrisonPlanetBreak

Oct 22, 2023
I've been in that position in the past, blind optimism. And I honestly cannot answer your question, as in, I really have no idea how I was doing it. I had gone through a loss (lost my father to cancer), through humiliations in high school, through pain, etc. And yet I still hoped for a better future. I've ben depressed since the second half of 2019 or so, so like half a decade almost, which in hindsight may be short compared to some people on here I guess. But I really liked your comment from another thread where you said there should be no comparison criterion, and I shouldn't compare my depression to others. Alas, I know and I feel that I could never go back to that blind optimism stage.

My depression opened my eyes and now I see the world and life itself, for what it really is, and it's hard to turn a blind eye to it. I don't want to go to therapy, because if they will just shove antidepressants down my throat to make the grass look greener, that's a fake view of the world. A really good friend of mine keeps asking me if I wouldn't go back to my 2018 persona (my happiest year of my life), and my answer is no. Which is a real headscratcher for them, since it's difficult to understand that I am suffering at the moment, but I wouldn't choose to go back to a time where I was not suffering. But that's just because I know that I was viewing the world through a filter. In some weird way, I am thankful that I now see things for what they are, and I am slowly mustering the courage to exit, instead of just living and coping until life throws who knows what hardship at me.​

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Praestat_Mori, Rogue Proxy and 2 others
D

doneforlife

Arcanist
Jul 18, 2023
I don't agree with this. Sorry. I am not trying to hurt you. But life has its pleasures. We might have reached a place where we have become resistant to those pleasures . I used to go to the terrace every evening with my family members and used to star gaze for hours . Every second was worth it. Would give anything to go back in time. But it's not possible anymore.

• Hugs
Reactions: Praestat_Mori, Forever Sleep and Darkover
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I just think most people don't focus on death so much. Most simply can't. They have to get up early and go to work. If they have families, they get home and look after them. They may of course be trying to deal with depression and ideation at the same time but for them the choice could well be- work or eventual homelessness. So- whether they're happy about it or not- they do it to avoid the worse alternative. Or of course, they CTB.

Reactions: Darkover and Praestat_Mori
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
For most people life is good. They accept how their life is. Sue, life with "health issues" can be / is hell but the majority doesn't have health issues. The majority has job that makes their lives "worth living" which is - no doubt - a subjective feeling. But this applies to the majority of people on earth. Even in the poorest countries they don't stop procreating.

Unfortunately life is a complex thing that everyone experiences in a different way.

Reactions: Darkover and divinemistress36
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
I just wonder how is it possible that a human being finds the strength to even get up every morning, go through all this, accept without much complaint all the torture and pain for dozens of years
The emboldened portion evokes one of the Party's three slogans from George Orwell's 1984: "Ignorance is strength." This slogan refers to how maintaining the public's ignorance strengthens the government's power. However, I think the phrase could also apply to how most humans strive to live and reproduce while constantly evading the truth about existence and suffering.

Reactions: pthnrdnojvsc, Darkover and Praestat_Mori
penguinl0v3s

penguinl0v3s

Wait for Me đź’™
Nov 1, 2023
Everything that's happening in one person's lifetime, we go through losses, humiliation, physical/emotional pain, we know there is an eventual death, that someday this body we have will just rot underground eaten by maggots. The death is not the issue but to know that everything we ever tried was for nothing. I just wonder how is it possible that a human being finds the strength to even get up every morning, go through all this, accept without much complaint all the torture and pain for dozens of years
I think getting eaten by other animals is pretty in a way. We do it our entire lives, eat other animals, and it's like we are giving back some that we have taken. Everything is a cycle that continues on. I like cycles. I think they're beautiful.

Reactions: divinemistress36
logi3535

logi3535

even in death, may you be triumphant
Jan 8, 2024
i think its kind of silly since its built up that you either go to heaven or hell when you die (no offense to anyone religious) but i believe that death is the peace that so many of us long for, hell is whats on earth, but sure there are pleasures and other joys, and sometimes those joys outweigh the negatives, but in the end i think its ultimately where you decide where you wanna go, nobody is entitled to stick around to continue suffering, everyone should have the right to take their own life

Reactions: Darkover
FuneralCry

FuneralCry

Just wanting some peace
Sep 24, 2020
It truly is hellish to me how humans impose unnecessary suffering onto others by deciding to procreate, I wish humans were compassionate enough not to procreate as existence really is the problem, I see it as a curse to exist at all.

Reactions: logi3535, butterfly000 and Rogue Proxy