Y

yesitsme39

Nov 15, 2019
Not sure if this belongs here but.

Why do typically the funniest people tend to be depressed?

Apparently being too happy hinders creativity, but low mood doesn't?

Just a thought

Reactions: Sensei
Mr2005

Mr2005

Don't shoot the messenger, give me the gun
Sep 25, 2018
Humours linked to intelligence and intelligence to depression

Reactions: NitriteAnatomy, Sensei and BPD Barbie
R

Ross

Jul 7, 2019
And lots use humour to divert attention away from their depression. Bet we're all the happiest , funniest c**ts on our fb's :)

Temporarilyabsurd

Temporarilyabsurd

NOISE:signal
Apr 27, 2018
Look at my furrows of worry .

( Bill Hicks was one of those folks I think ... I guess they all are ... poking fun at our shared meta narratives .
The way we all make each other suffer for the stupidest of reasons ... tragically absurd , it has to be funnty - it can't be serious . It just can't . )

BPD Barbie

BPD Barbie

Visionary
Dec 1, 2019
I make a joke out of my frame of mind all the time, it's funny becuase people around me think it's light humor and I'm cackling away inside thinking 'if only you knew'.
But if I didn't laugh, I'd cry.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
imo its complex.

humour can act as a defence mechanism, hiding the pain and suffering and using laughter, joy and jokingly manner to distract us, help us fit in, feel less alone, masks our pain. humour helps those struggling with control and power, recognition and attention to have all of those things for once. to me, people who are funny, outgoing and happy and extremely depressed understand how it feels to be at this low point, and they don't wanna see this negativity there facing to spread and have others endure their pain and heartache. so they use comedy and this act of happiness to be there for others, help others, because they know how it feels.

Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
Quite a few comedians have died by their own hand as well, Robin Williams being the most famous example. A striking example is the successful British comedian Tony Hancock. He killed himself with vodka and amobarbital and wrote in his suicide note that, "Nobody will ever know I existed. Nothing to leave behind me. Nothing to pass on. Nobody to mourn me. That's the bitterest blow of all."

Numbtopain97

Numbtopain97

deader than dead
Aug 10, 2019
The saddest people understand the value of humor and happiness more than most.

Reactions: TearyEyedQueen
NitriteAnatomy

NitriteAnatomy

Lost. Alone. Trapped. Need escape.
Nov 21, 2019
Reactions: Temporarilyabsurd and BPD_LE