1000winds

1000winds

Student
Jul 24, 2022
those who were raised by a depressed parent, do you feel your lives would have been better without them in your life?

hamvil

hamvil

Wizard
Aug 29, 2022
My mother was very depressed among other things. I am sure my childhood would have been better with her in my life. Well not sure if alone with my father would have been that great however, but better for sure.

SunshineAndSuicide

SunshineAndSuicide

Sunshine is what's keeping me alive
Aug 24, 2022
My dad's undiagnosed depression and ptsd cause severe financial stress, amongs other things, on our family. If my mom had the common sense to divorce him, (he's the type who wil never ever seek help or address his trauma), and marry a man with his shit together things might have been different for me.

C

chloramine

Arcanist
Apr 18, 2022
My mom did some stuff she probably shouldn't have in large part due to depression but it would have been so much worse if she hadn't been there and I'd had to live with my dad instead. I don't really blame her but I'll probably never feel comfortable around her (or anyone who's a parent of people around my age). Maybe my life would have been better with better parents, but I don't think it would have been better to end up with the significantly worse one or to end up in any form of foster care.

Celerity

Celerity

shape without form, shade without colour
Jan 24, 2021
My dad had his issues as a former abused child, but my life wouldn't have been better without him. He did his best and was also the primary provider in my household. My mom would have struggled to raise me and my brother without his support.

Life_and_Death

Life_and_Death

Do what's best for you šŸ•Æļø Sometimes I'm stressed
Jul 1, 2020
considering shes the one that caused my problems and i basically raised myself, yeah my life would be a million times better without her. i most likely wouldnt be suicidal at all, at the very least i would be farther ahead because i would have gotten the help i needed years ago that she denied me. its too bad we cant somehow be born without parents

woe-boy

woe-boy

Never feeling love like that anymore
Mar 30, 2022
Religious conditioning did serious damage to my parents. My mother was beaten with carpet strips by nuns in kindergarten. Then proceeds to talk about how great Catholic school is. She was abused. My dad believes in the 'old school Christian man' dogma where he's super homophobic and extremely negative about anything the youth does. I have tried my best to be a good, loving son. But I have given up. They do not deserve to know who I truly am anymore. They failed me functionally as parents quite some years ago. I forgive them sentimentally, as the 'good book' says "Father forgive them, for they know not what they do." So I forgive them. But they will never have the mentorial capacity they had in the past with me. I'm on my own now.

• Hugs
Reactions: Celerity