AStruggle

AStruggle

a clinically depressed vidya connoisseur
Feb 8, 2024
Hello.

I'm clinically depressed. My condition has a wave-like form, meaning that sometimes I feel alright, active and alive. Other times - like today - I feel down. I have zero energy, everything feels boring and uninteresting, nothing I do sticks so I'm just lying in bed, scrolling reels and youtube thumbnails. Videogames are boring, I'm eternally tired, lethargic so to speak.
I'm sure at least some of you guys feel this way too. What do you do when you don't want to do anything?

• Hugs
Reactions: kinderbueno, future_angel, etherealspring and 4 others
Gangrel

Gangrel

Student
Jul 25, 2024
I can relate to you too, sometimes i feel alright, but sometimes i am simply alive and nothing else. Honestly i try to do things i "enjoy" like playing video games and reading, even if it's boring, just hoping my liking will spark back up. Also being social helps because being depressed in front of people is weird so i force myself to pretend.

Reactions: null_blank, kinderbueno and AStruggle
Grimpoteuthis

Grimpoteuthis

Your deep sea friend
Jul 1, 2023
I can relate so much to this, how everything, including hobbies I used to love, feels incredibly boring. Usually I just start doing chores like laundry, meal prepping, cleaning etc., so on days I am not only bored to death but also not physically functional, I have less necessary tasks to complete just a sustain the most basic life.

• Love
Reactions: kinderbueno and AStruggle
future_angel

future_angel

powerviolence girlie <3
Aug 12, 2024
usually when i feel that way i take a nap or watch a movie

Reactions: AStruggle, kinderbueno and cali22♡
cali22♡

cali22♡

Student
Nov 11, 2023
I feel for you. . .

When I feel "bored" I always take a cold shower or play a game. . .

Reactions: kinderbueno
Arahant

Arahant

Student
Jun 15, 2024
I second cold showers, they can revive you if you dont have tolerance to them and dont chicken out too early.

Listening to guided meditation or even self hypnosis recordings from youtube can sometimes help me find comfort.
If you know how to do yoga nidra, that is also a good way to rest yourself up.

Singing, just for the sake of playing with sounds and feeling the vibrations can also sometimes shift things into a better mood.
It can be hard to start up if in the throes of deep depression, but doing it almost always feels better.
I think there is even some science behind that; it increases vagal nerve tone, vaults you out of a freeze or fight/flight state, and into a positive flock/flow/fun state. Basically it can shift gears on your nervous system so you feel human again :D

Crazy as it may sound, prolonged fasting as in +2 days can also bust a depression for many, if it's from inflammation.
If you have zero appetite and want to lie around in bed thinking of how to CTB, fasting might be what your body is asking you to do.

If you have the opportunity to hang out in direct sunlight, that can be good too for loads of reasons.

Hate to say it, but it's true that exercise of most any kind can help most kinds of depression.
Doesn't mean you have to run a marathon or rip a new personal record in the gym, walking can also help.
More effortful training seems to yield the best results, but whatever you can realistically do is good enough.
I know how hard it can be to get moving when in that state, so don't feel bad if you simply can't find it in you.

Reactions: kinderbueno
AStruggle

AStruggle

a clinically depressed vidya connoisseur
Feb 8, 2024
usually when i feel that way i take a nap or watch a movie
Yeah, taking a nap is alright. But it's not always possible for me to fall asleep during the night, let alone in the afternoon
I feel for you. . .

When I feel "bored" I always take a cold shower or play a game. . .
Videogames don't work, unfortunately... The require just enough cognitive function to process the story and the gameplay. Same with competitive multiplayer stuff - when you struggle with your energy levels it can be so frustrating to loose or play with others at all.
I second cold showers, they can revive you if you dont have tolerance to them and dont chicken out too early.

Listening to guided meditation or even self hypnosis recordings from youtube can sometimes help me find comfort.
If you know how to do yoga nidra, that is also a good way to rest yourself up.

Singing, just for the sake of playing with sounds and feeling the vibrations can also sometimes shift things into a better mood.
It can be hard to start up if in the throes of deep depression, but doing it almost always feels better.
I think there is even some science behind that; it increases vagal nerve tone, vaults you out of a freeze or fight/flight state, and into a positive flock/flow/fun state. Basically it can shift gears on your nervous system so you feel human again :D

Crazy as it may sound, prolonged fasting as in +2 days can also bust a depression for many, if it's from inflammation.
If you have zero appetite and want to lie around in bed thinking of how to CTB, fasting might be what your body is asking you to do.

If you have the opportunity to hang out in direct sunlight, that can be good too for loads of reasons.

Hate to say it, but it's true that exercise of most any kind can help most kinds of depression.
Doesn't mean you have to run a marathon or rip a new personal record in the gym, walking can also help.
More effortful training seems to yield the best results, but whatever you can realistically do is good enough.
I know how hard it can be to get moving when in that state, so don't feel bad if you simply can't find it in you.
Thank you for such a full and thorough response!

I should definitely try meditation and singing. Can you please share any good guided meditation videos on youtube?

Intentional fasting is also something I didn't consider yet. I like food, but I'm at a point in my life when I don't have access to healthy foods. Fasting might be good.

I try to exercise every day, doing full body stretching stuff. I even tried bodyweight workout, but I don't feel like wearing myself out right now. I want to get used to doing these gymnastics every day first. Forming habits is very hard for me, so I want that out of the picture first, then I could start actually strengthening my body.

Thank you again for your advice, I'll definitely look up the yoga nidra!

Last edited: