• If you haven't yet, we highly encourage you to check out our Recovery Resources thread!
  • Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

T

ThinkingAboutThis

Student
Jan 7, 2019
Have any of you been shamed for taking Rx drugs that went south on you? Then you tried to stop them and had trouble and suffered majorly and almost lost your life, only to be shamed by people around you for taking the Rx's in the first place.

I don't find it very helpful or productive or in a healing spirit to be shamed for taking something in the first place while suffering horrific after-effects in the process of reducing that medication dependencies and trying not to rely on that "quick fix" (which brought years of infirmity) anymore, all the while being thoroughly suicidal in that whole process. I don't find this type of shaming very motivating in any way.

If this is not messed up, then I don't know what is.

Reactions: Kdawg2018, Mecha Man, lost_soul83 and 7 others
B

Buddyluv19

Experienced
Dec 13, 2018
Shaming is, generally speaking, not productive in the long run for any situation. Regarding being shamed for taking Rx drugs, it sounds like you are talking about becoming dependent on prescribed medications. This is nothing to be ashamed of - especially when you read the court cases against drug makers that mis-represented the addictive properties of these drugs. The only thing I can think to suggest going forward regarding Rx meds is to only share information about what you have been prescribed with people who care about you and can/will help you if there is a problem. Hope this helps.

Reactions: lost_soul83, therhydler, BlackDragonof1989 and 3 others
K

kkatt

Paragon
Nov 12, 2018
People like to give their own ego a boost by looking down on you.
Anyone that claims to have made no mistakes and messed up in some way is a complete Liar.
Indeed there is absolutely zero shame in addiction. The body becomes dependent on the substance to maintain a balance in the brain and allow what feels like normalcy. That is part of being a human being.
You can probably lay good money on a bet that the shamer has much darker secrets than you.

Reactions: lost_soul83, therhydler, SelfishMom and 3 others
GerMann

GerMann

year of birth: 1972
Nov 30, 2018
Rx drugs? What is this?

Reactions: therhydler, BlackDragonof1989 and Lifeisatrap
Kyrok

Kyrok

Paragon
Nov 6, 2018
Imagine going to the pharmacy to pick up opioids and the pharmacy tech shaming you by loudly announcing your 60 oxycodones are ready. Not only unprofessional, but puts customers at risk of being robbed. I've had it happen to me and have seen it quite a few times over the past year.

Reactions: Kdawg2018, Jodes, LivedTooLong and 3 others
J

JustAboutDone

Illuminated
Jan 1, 2019
It's sad that people feel they have to be judgemental on other people, especially with regards to medication. It certainly doesn't help reduce any of the stigma connected to mental health and it then makes it virtually impossible to ever try and have any kind of conversation with anyone if you are struggling with your medication and you need support.

Medication works on brain chemistry so your behaviour may well change - and any kind of dependence is easily and often quickly established. People being judgmental just isolate the individual even more, exacerbating the problem. Sad.

And @Kyrok i think what happened to you was atrocious. They are not ethically or morally equipped to do their job; quite apart from putting your personal safety at jeopardy.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap, LivedTooLong and 2 others
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
Have any of you been shamed for taking Rx drugs that went south on you? Then you tried to stop them and had trouble and suffered majorly and almost lost your life, only to be shamed by people around you for taking the Rx's in the first place.

I don't find it very helpful or productive or in a healing spirit to be shamed for taking something in the first place while suffering horrific after-effects in the process of reducing that medication dependencies and trying not to rely on that "quick fix" (which brought years of infirmity) anymore, all the while being thoroughly suicidal in that whole process. I don't find this type of shaming very motivating in any way.

If this is not messed up, then I don't know what is.
Are you speaking of addiction to pain medication? Cuz I've been on this roller coaster ride for years and I just wanna get off. I was looking for relief from chronic pain, the doctor prescribed pain meds and surprise, surprise, I became addicted. I'm technically in recovery through a methadone treatment program, but I'm still in agonizing pain every day and I don't know what to do anymore....I just wanna ctb and stop my suffering for good.

Reactions: sif and Lifeisatrap
L

lost_soul83

Wizard
Jan 7, 2019
Imagine going to the pharmacy to pick up opioids and the pharmacy tech shaming you by loudly announcing your 60 oxycodones are ready. Not only unprofessional, but puts customers at risk of being robbed. I've had it happen to me and have seen it quite a few times over the past year.
I've also experienced this kind of unprofessional behavior at pharmacies......these people think they're better than you because they have total control over whether you get your meds or not. It's at their discretion.....that always really bothered me.

Reactions: sif and Lifeisatrap
Jenna

Jenna

Experienced
Nov 21, 2018
I have had this happen. I went the dr route and not the drinking route. I didn't know any better and my dad was vocal about being on pills. He even said you knew better than that.

Last edited:
Reactions: sif, Lifeisatrap and ThinkingAboutThis
M

Mecha Man

Experienced
Jul 16, 2018
I have basically never had this happen to me and if there really are any stigmas about mental health this is news to me. I've always been pretty comfortable talking about my illnesses with other people, and I've never had anyone give me some kind of negative or hostile response. I had no idea this kind of thing happened. Doesn't make any sense to me, other than what the one guy said about getting addicted. Not that getting addicted to something is something a person should be insulted or looked down on for. But you know, what ever. What do they know.

When you accept a prescription from a doctor, you're putting your faith and trust in that doctor, so you can't be shamed for following your doctor's instructions. That's gotta be one of the stupidest things I've ever heard of. That's not to say that not all doctors are great or even good at all, but the only person who can try to gauge that kind of thing is the patient really, not outsiders who know nothing about it.

And that's not even considering that every medication affects people in different ways, so even the best doctor will sometimes probably have to go on somewhat of a trial and error basis with prescribing medications for serious mental illnesses. I know it's always been that way with my psychiatrist. If I ever have a problem with my medication (which pretty much never happens unless I'm trying something new for some reason) my psych and I always discuss the issues at length; sometimes we choose to wait it out, sometimes decrease dosage, or sometimes just stop taking a med entirely.

The point is it's nobody else's business except yours and your doctor's.... and maybe your close family members

Reactions: Lifeisatrap