TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I try and try to be a better person, but then an inconvenience, big or small, drives me to smoking again. I try to justify it by thinking that it's okay for me to smoke because the world is unfair for me, or listening to Alice in Chains because Layne Staley is one of my biggest idols and he was a drug addict as well. Stupid shit, stupid thinking. I don't even get withdrawals so it's hard to stay away. Or do I? I don't notice the difference since I'm always irritated, tired, yadda yadda yadda.

• Hugs
Reactions: stygal and AtMostOkay
Neowise

Neowise

We fly and fly but never reach our destination.
Oct 7, 2020
I don't have experience with smoking since I don't, but while reading your post I had a thought:
What if you counted the amount of cigarettes you smoke per day (or on average) and say you are allowed to smoke that per day. Then, every day (or every second day) you decrease that number by 1 cigarette slowly lowering the dose. At the end you can keep a puffer of 2 cigarettes per day but only smoke them if you are super stressed out and really need them. Perhaps trying to exchange a cigarette for something else like a piece of chocolate, a glass of beer or anything different that brings you joy to not need those 2 cigs at all anymore. Take your time every day to appreciate your success in reducing the dose of one, be proud of that.

I'm probably naive for thinking this could work but at I tried.

Reactions: TheSoulless
S

SweetSpot086

Experienced
Aug 25, 2019
I am insensitive to nicotine..I dont feel anything when I smoke and experience no withdrawal symptoms..
Yet I continue to smoke, have been for many years...dont know why...its kind of a compulsion...psychological addiction more than physical addiction

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless and stygal
Mentalmick

Mentalmick

IMHOTEP!!!
Nov 30, 2020
I am insensitive to nicotine..I dont feel anything when I smoke and experience no withdrawal symptoms..
Yet I continue to smoke, have been for many years...dont know why...its kind of a compulsion...psychological addiction more than physical addiction
Same here. When I stopped it took no effort whatsoever. I got a bad chest infection and the doc told me to stop smoking so I did.

• Hugs
Reactions: TheSoulless, GenesAndEnvironment and stygal
stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
I don't actually smoke - sometimes I crave a cigarette (lately I'm stressed out af and in pain) and then I'll have one and just stop for months afterwards. Weird - because I'm actually prone to being addicted to the littlest things.

@TheSoulless - if it calms you down, I'd say don't beat yourself up over it and just go for it (probably not the most "healthy" advice but after all where at SS)

Reactions: TheSoulless
S

SweetSpot086

Experienced
Aug 25, 2019
I don't actually smoke - sometimes I crave a cigarette (lately I'm stressed out af and in pain) and then I'll have one and just stop for months afterwards. Weird - because I'm actually prone to being addicted to the littlest things.

@TheSoulless - if it calms you down, I'd say don't beat yourself up over it and just go for it (probably not the most "healthy" advice but after all where at SS)
Does it actually help? I mean, does it makes you any less anxious?

stygal

stygal

low-wage worker
Oct 29, 2020
Does it actually help? I mean, does it makes you any less anxious?
It's probably just a placebo - but I feel like it does. It helps me take a break and think about everything while I smoke (could probably do that without the nicotine but whatever :D)

Reactions: LastWhisper and GenesAndEnvironment