S

SlowlyFalling

Apr 4, 2023
In the past, whenever I've self harmed, it was usually by beating myself (my head or legs) since that seemed the most convenient, and easiest to hide. But recently I've began cutting, but it doesn't seem to hurt that much, or provide any relief. Like I said, I'm just starting out with cutting, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I assume cutting deeper makes it hurt more, but does it increase the feeling of relief? As far as my family knows, I'm clean, and I'd like them to keep thinking that. If cutting doesn't provide much more relief, am I better off just going back to beating myself, since I already know how to hide it?

• Love
Reactions: settheory, Spoon_Selfharms and LocalAngel
aubrey!

aubrey!

internet angel
Mar 11, 2023
cutting isn't for everyone. you can try going deeper, but the deeper you go the more damage it can do. light surface cuts work for me because i like the subtle burn and slowly leaking blood, but what works and doesn't varies for everybody. i guess it just takes experimenting.

Reactions: settheory
Upvote 0
redbathingduck

redbathingduck

Student
Mar 20, 2023
Did beating yourself help at all? If that worked for you and this doesn't then I don't see why you wouldn't go back to your old methods. Cutting is just one form of self harm/relief, doesn't work for everyone

Upvote 0
S

SlowlyFalling

Apr 4, 2023
Did beating yourself help at all? If that worked for you and this doesn't then I don't see why you wouldn't go back to your old methods. Cutting is just one form of self harm/relief, doesn't work for everyone
It used to help, but it didn't seem to work for this current bout of depression. I thought I might as well try something new.

Upvote 0
Viranamari

Viranamari

A Future Corpse
Feb 22, 2023
Cutting doesn't necessarily make everyone feel better. After all, self-harm, is not for everyone and not all self-harm method works for everyone. Maybe you can try cutting deeper a few times but if that still doesn't work, then you should continue beating yourself. But you should be careful, cutting leaves scars or scratches so you'll have more chances of getting caught. Hope this helps.

Upvote 0
B

Big_Iron

Apr 5, 2023
It used to help, but it didn't seem to work for this current bout of depression. I thought I might as well try something new.
If you must cut, something I did was use a pretty dull blade, for me a cheap pocket knife. It took a good amount of force to cut but because it wasn't sharp it cut less clean and hurt while not being too deep. I did it on my thigh so no one would see. Another thing to try is hitting a rough canvas punching bag if you're like me and sadness comes packaged with anger oftentimes. It can skin your knuckles pretty good and it gives a visceral feeling of relief.

Upvote 0
S

SlowlyFalling

Apr 4, 2023
If you must cut, something I did was use a pretty dull blade, for me a cheap pocket knife. It took a good amount of force to cut but because it wasn't sharp it cut less clean and hurt while not being too deep. I did it on my thigh so no one would see. Another thing to try is hitting a rough canvas punching bag if you're like me and sadness comes packaged with anger oftentimes. It can skin your knuckles pretty good and it gives a visceral feeling of relief.
I'll keep that in mind. I also did my thigh thinking it would be less obvious (I wear a lot of short sleeve shirts) but I can try using a duller blade. I've done the punching bag trick, but that can be loud since my house doesn't have good noise insulation. But maybe the next time I'm home alone. Thanks

Upvote 0
aitouka

aitouka

calm
Apr 5, 2023
If cutting isn't for you, then don't do it. It's not for anyone, and if it doesn't provide any relief or happiness for you then it only has downsides.

Please try other coping mechanisms, though I know it's terribly hard. Does beating yourself make you feel better? Does it provide relief?

Upvote 0
Spoon_Selfharms

Spoon_Selfharms

Apr 6, 2023
In the past, whenever I've self harmed, it was usually by beating myself (my head or legs) since that seemed the most convenient, and easiest to hide. But recently I've began cutting, but it doesn't seem to hurt that much, or provide any relief. Like I said, I'm just starting out with cutting, and I'm not sure if I'm doing it right. I assume cutting deeper makes it hurt more, but does it increase the feeling of relief? As far as my family knows, I'm clean, and I'd like them to keep thinking that. If cutting doesn't provide much more relief, am I better off just going back to beating myself, since I already know how to hide it?
Well personally the deeper I cut the less I feel, so if you don't "like it"/it doesn't do it for you I don't think deeper would bring you what you want

Upvote 0