B

blahblahhh

Jan 15, 2021
As it's fairly obvious, the state of humanity has inevitably negatively impacted most of us with already existing mental health ailments. My question is how has the current events worsened your decline? If at all, or has affected you in general (even positively perhaps)?

For me, it's increasingly difficult to see a future. I'm cynical and stuck in doomsday mode. I don't see the lockdowns, the virus, economics, politics getting any better. I see a destructive path regardless. I never fully know if it's my own internal negative projections or the way things are.

***not meant to be a divisive political discussion. The world is already divided enough.***

Reactions: NeverSatisfied, L951788, ohhgeeitsme and 3 others
Amumu

Amumu

Ctb - temporary solution for a permanent problem
Aug 29, 2020
Not that much, no. I see a long decline of the Western World, idk for the rest.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied and blahblahhh
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
I've always felt this way and due to my job I am heavily exposed to these subjects. Most people have very little clue of how bad many world phenomenon are progressing.

Not that much, no. I see a long decline of the Western World, idk for the rest.

West is in decline but for most places it is far worse. The non western countries have been in a boomlet due to globalization. For most of these it is going to reverse due to environmental and population issues. Poor country elites tend to store the bulk of their wealth in the west which tells you what the smartest people in the world think will happen long term.

Reactions: Fragile and blahblahhh
signifying nothing

signifying nothing

-
Sep 13, 2020
I paradoxically start to feel better as things seem to get worse. I think its maybe because things going bad/wrong (globally, locally, personally) can be a catalyst for more fundamental change than would otherwise would have been possible.

Reactions: ohhgeeitsme, blahblahhh, Fragile and 1 other person
Fragile

Fragile

Broken
Jul 7, 2019
Covid literally stopped me from killing myself, the hotel I had booked had to cancel and I had to postpone just when the lockdown started. I even drafted some letters and I was sure that around april 2020 I would be gone.

Then, I decided to watch the world burn for a bit longer. at first everyone was forced to adopt my lifestyle of not getting out of home for months at a time while living in fear, this made me feel a bit better about myself, for the wrong reasons, but I somehow felt validated and... normal?
The world became just like me, a chaotic mess with no hope of improving, a constant struggle and an uncertain future. It's no secret that north and Latin America are in the worst shape that they've been in years, both politically and economically, I really don't see how some countries will dig themselves out of this mess.

And while it's deeply depressing, the ship is sinking and the band is playing, and even if I don't see myself sinking with it, I might as well find some comedy and entertainment in this shitty situation. Worrying about something that I have no control over is just pointless.

Reactions: L951788, blahblahhh and ohhgeeitsme
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
The lockdown has actually worked in my favor. I was already isolating myself, so that hasn't changed. Now, I don't feel like I'm missing out on as much since everyone else is having to stay at home too. Also, I lost my job last year and for reasons I won't get into right now, my mental health is at an all time low. My cognition is absolutely shot and I'm not ready to go back to working a real job. The fact that a lot of people are unemployed because of Covid and a lot of places I could actually get a job at are closed or not hiring (i'm only qualified for entry level positions) has really taken some of the pressure off. I'm making a little money working from home but it's not much.

That being said, the future looks very bleak for my generation. The extreme divide in my country (US) is very discouraging and is reinforcing my pessimistic views on humanity as a whole. Not that the evidence hasn't always been there, but now it's right in my face all the time and I'm actually witnessing it firsthand, rather than learning about it after the fact. I don't think it's any worse today. In fact, looking back on history, things have always been absolute shit and I would argue much worse in the past. I'm not even a super cynical person compared to a lot of people on here, but it's hard not to recognize just how terrible human nature can be (and the universe in general, it's not just humans) and how unlikely it is for these things to ever change. Selfishness aids in survival and even psychopathy helps one to succeed, so I don't see these traits ever being wiped out of humanity. Things are not evolving at a pace that will allow me to see any hope for mankind. Definitely not while I'm still around. We're still protesting racism, for crying out loud.

Reactions: Isisnefert, BluesRunTheGame, NeverSatisfied and 4 others
B

blahblahhh

Jan 15, 2021
Covid literally stopped me from killing myself, the hotel I had booked had to cancel and I had to postpone just when the lockdown started. I even drafted some letters and I was sure that around april 2020 I would be gone.

Then, I decided to watch the world burn for a bit longer. at first everyone was forced to adopt my lifestyle of not getting out of home for months at a time while living in fear, this made me feel a bit better about myself, for the wrong reasons, but I somehow felt validated and... normal?
The world became just like me, a chaotic mess with no hope of improving, a constant struggle and an uncertain future. It's no secret that north and Latin America are in the worst shape that they've been in years, both politically and economically, I really don't see how some countries will dig themselves out of this mess.

And while it's deeply depressing, the ship is sinking and the band is playing, and even if I don't see myself sinking with it, I might as well find some comedy and entertainment in this shitty situation. Worrying about something that I have no control over is just pointless.
I kept making the joke that I've been socially distancing for years lol get On my level! Lmao

• Love
Reactions: L951788 and Fragile
E

enter.the.void

Jul 14, 2020
Hi Nalando, i feel the same - since this absolute shitshow called 2020 i have lost any hope in the future, now it looks all the soul-crushing emergency measures will never end and i fear we have now entered a new dark age. I feel me even more disconnected and alienated from this apathetic and insensitive society and therefore more lonely than before. In any case, my mental state has only worsened - before the annuis horriblis i had only faint suicidal ideations compared to now - but with such bleak prospects for the future now im thinking every day to finally ctb.

Last edited:
  • Hugs
Reactions: Isisnefert, ohhgeeitsme and blahblahhh
ohhgeeitsme

ohhgeeitsme

Wizard
Feb 5, 2020
Then, I decided to watch the world burn for a bit longer.

I'll be honest, a big reason I don't want to go right now is because of everything going on in the world and I want to see what happens for a little longer. I wouldn't even call it entertainment, for me personally, more like a train wreck I can't look away from.

Reactions: NeverSatisfied, blahblahhh, L951788 and 1 other person
L951788

L951788

Student
Dec 28, 2020
It's not worsened my decline. I've basically always hated being alive and hated people. I'm not a psychopath and have large amounts of empathy and probably low levels of narcissism. I hope the world keeps going to shit FASTER and a possible doomsday scenario happens SOONER.

The biggest thing that probably worsened my decline was the birth of social media. Once MySpace and then Facebook became commonplace my misanthropy skyrocketed. Social media is probably the biggest factor in me hating humanity. Without social media I may only be a slight misanthrope if that.

I hope it keeps going to shit though. I've already had it as shit while others have been living a frivolous fun party-filled lifestyle. They can come down to my level and come play in the mud for a while. See how they like it down here.

All in all I just laugh at it I guess. Though it is equally annoying. Idk life just isn't for me. Being isolated isn't great either. So once again, maybe I'm just not suited for life whatsoever. I mean I'm on a suicide board. I literally want to take myself out of existence.
I'll be honest, a big reason I don't want to go right now is because of everything going on in the world and I want to see what happens for a little longer. I wouldn't even call it entertainment, for me personally, more like a train wreck I can't look away from.
I've felt this. Wanting to stay around to see what happens because it's almost like watching some crazy movie.

Reactions: Isisnefert, Fragile, enter.the.void and 2 others
B

blahblahhh

Jan 15, 2021
Hi Nalando, i feel the same - since this absolute shitshow called 2020 i have lost any hope in the future, now it looks all the soul-crushing emergency measures will never end and i fear we have now entered a new dark age. I feel me even more disconnected and alienated from this apathetic and insensitive society and therefore more lonely than before. In any case, my mental state has only worsened - before the annuis horriblis i had only faint suicidal ideations compared to now - but with such bleak prospects for the future now im thinking every day to finally ctb.
I think a dark age sounds about right. Isn't it interesting: a time where we are all instantaneously connected but ultimately disconnected and more alienated than ever.
I feel the same exact way! I couldn't have said it any better. I'm addicted to the media but I fucking hate the news. But the horror is captivating.

• Love
Reactions: Isisnefert, enter.the.void and ohhgeeitsme
E

enter.the.void

Jul 14, 2020
@L951788
Amen bro... All the extrovert, happy-looking party people who loved showing off their lifestyle and good-paying jobs on FB are in the same misery now or even worse - for the first time in my life im really glad to be a NEET and dont have to work with a dehumanizating muzzle all the day at work or be crammed together with other apathetic muzzle-wearing normies in the public transport in the morning and evening every work day, while i'm at home gaming. Let the docile sheeple just suffer, it was their choice to be a obedient cog in the wheels of the system and be brainwashed by the state and mass media!

Reactions: Isisnefert, SN-chan and blahblahhh
BluesRunTheGame

BluesRunTheGame

Blackpilled
Dec 15, 2020
Covid aside, I just finished the latest David Attenborough series A Perfect Planet and, especially the last episode, it got me thinking how humans are so bound up in capitalistic greed of course we're not gonna stop a climate disaster from happening. Even the 'experts' they got to warn us I bet are hoarding £££s worth of private property and spending £££s on needless consumption. Capitalism breeds greed breeds climate disaster. The 22nd century will be an apocalyptic shit show.

If anything Covid and all these lockdowns could give some hope as a pause for thought about where we're going, except that it won't.

Reactions: blahblahhh
S

SuicidallyCurious

Enlightened
Dec 20, 2020
Covid aside, I just finished the latest David Attenborough series A Perfect Planet and, especially the last episode, it got me thinking how humans are so bound up in capitalistic greed of course we're not gonna stop a climate disaster from happening. Even the 'experts' they got to warn us I bet are hoarding £££s worth of private property and spending £££s on needless consumption. Capitalism breeds greed breeds climate disaster. The 22nd century will be an apocalyptic shit show.

If anything Covid and all these lockdowns could give some hope as a pause for thought about where we're going, except that it won't.
During the CV19 the countries were reluctant to close borders for long. And not just US. Many stories reported online of airports even flouting laws to let people in.

Reactions: blahblahhh