H

Honigwaffel

Student
Apr 9, 2019
Today I did a thought experiment about the current situation in our capitalist society and its relation to ctb.

So basically I think the current state of society is the reason for so many people to feel bad about themselves. The only fix for that would be an unconditional basic income like 2000$ per person. As a result each individual does not have to work jobs they absolutely hate. It would reduce the stigma of being poor and improve social acceptance. You could focus on doing what really makes you happy and find a purpose in life.

In my country it would be enough to implement a tax on financial transactions of 0.5%. We are talking 0.5%! That seems very doable to me.

What do you think? Would that improve your live and find a purpose?

Reactions: snowman626, Jen Erik and whatever1111
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
I think basic income is ok, but I wish money in general would stop being the main criteria of value, relations between persons etc. I think as long money, useful as it is, remains the most important thing mediating between people, the world will stay miserable. Of course, I have no idea how to do this - I would definitely put less emphasis on 'progress' and more on community, food, etc. I dont consider myself a communist, but I lean in that direction definitely. and I hate patriarchy and religion to the bone. I'll ctb because of the self-hatred inherited from the opressed

Reactions: snowman626, Honigwaffel and marcusuk63
JSRF

JSRF

Student
May 30, 2018
It would certainly make things easier, but the question is how it would affect our infrastructure. If everyone suddenly wouldn't have to do shit jobs anymore nobody would do them, but they're required. Im talking garbage men, salespersons and whatnot.

Reactions: Honigwaffel and whatever1111
A

Alan James

Arcanist
Apr 11, 2019
The only fix for that would be an unconditional basic income like 2000$ per person.

If i have at least 500$ basic income when i was i child it would change every day of my pathetic existence. I have no money at all in my childhood (up to 20 years) and i have autism, depression, sociophobia and probably schizophrenia, i hate my body so much and i was afraid even to go to the supermarket - not to work anywhere. I even can't pay for internet, sometimes I had to eat the cheapest meal once a day, I felt the most worthless and useless piece of shit in a whole world. Delivered only problems and disappointments to my parents. All I wanted was to eat normally and buy a computer (the computer for me was as unattainable and desirable thing such as immortality) - now only thing that i want is a peaceful death (Ideally euthanasia), i want to pay money for that.
It would certainly make things easier, but the question is how it would affect our infrastructure. If everyone suddenly wouldn't have to do shit jobs anymore nobody would do them, but they're required. Im talking garbage men, salespersons and whatnot.

Maybe someday it will be done by robots and other mechanisms

Last edited:
  • Aww..
Reactions: snowman626, alizee, Honigwaffel and 1 other person
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
being a garbage man is not awful in itself, its the bourgoise (i dont know to spell it) ideology and mentality that makes it frowned upon - because its a simple job etc. - that shouldnt be the relevant criteria. everyone should do some mandatory work, and the society should be organized that beyond that obligatory work people have a lot of free time for whatever, politics, self-realisation, etc. Rojava is experimenting with this stuff, although big politics is always the problem, with its weapons and international plots and shit

Reactions: Honigwaffel
H

Honigwaffel

Student
Apr 9, 2019
I think basic income is ok, but I wish money in general would stop being the main criteria of value, relations between persons etc. I think as long money, useful as it is, remains the most important thing mediating between people, the world will stay miserable. Of course, I have no idea how to do this - I would definitely put less emphasis on 'progress' and more on community, food, etc
Absolutely! However my professor said: It is easier to make changes within the system rather than changing the system itself. Perhaps a basic income will trigger a chain reaction when people realise that money is less important. Atleast that's what I hope will happen.

Maybe someday it will be done by robots and other mechanisms
We have a few studies that show that due to digitization almost 45% of the current jobs will be replaced with robots. And the rest will have to split up and work less hours per week. I personally would not mind working voluntary for 10-15 hours a week.

Reactions: whatever1111 and Alan James
W

whatever1111

Student
Feb 16, 2019
hmm i think it has to do with the ratio of machines and human work force in the factory - michael heinrich, as far as i remember, in his introduction to das capital, criticised marx for assuming capitalists would naturally replace human workforce by machines, thereby making them unemployed and causing a revolution. but this is not necessary - a capitalist naturally wants to make profit, he doesnt care if its made by workers or machines, e. g. the digization might be very selective, and also, it might be controlled by an armed neoliberal state who will go directly against the losers of the market, the reserve labour force, or what to call it. some speculate a global social democracy is inevitable, but im not so optimistic frankly. i think we'll sooner blow ourselves to pieces