• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Archaon, Herald of the Apocalypse
Dec 24, 2022
As the title suggests what is the probability of successfully CTBing at the gym with just their equipment?

In the lifting community there is a "meme" I saw where the guy is depressed cause his training partner is leaving him/ got a girlfriend now or whatever. So as he's about to bench press he loads the bar up pretty heavy and employs a dangerous technique known as the "suicide grip" end of clip.

I'm wondering how plausible this in real life. If I were to put 400 pounds or so on the bar and drop it on my chest or neck would that be enough to do me in? How instantaneous and catastrophic would the damage be? I work out at a public gym so the response would be very quick, people would probably be watching close by. Getting "saved" is inevitable, so whatever would be done needs to be irreversible.

Edit: wow I got the caption completely wrong. Or this is another short. Anyway I found it and am going to share it for those who are curious.

Last edited:
  • Yay!
Reactions: GasMonkey and thevaccumguy
H

HadItAll

I just want to be completely forgotten
Feb 20, 2023
Sounds like a terrible idea.

Reactions: 710, Hollowman, CantWait2D1E and 1 other person
thevaccumguy

thevaccumguy

Feb 14, 2023
Catastrophic? Depends on the people around you. Instantaneous ? Nope, no way. People in community gyms would be dying left and right then. Suicide grip is a sort of viable bench press method at the end of the day.

Reactions: MelancholicMundane and CantWait2D1E
looking_for_peace

looking_for_peace

-
Dec 4, 2022
"accidental" deaths such as these are hardly ever peaceful. (I put quotations around accidental bc I suppose there are people out there who try to do this intentionally)

I imagine trying this on purpose would be difficult because of SI. I would find another method

Reactions: 710 and CantWait2D1E
CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Dec 24, 2022
Catastrophic? Depends on the people around you. Instantaneous ? Nope, no way. People in community gyms would be dying left and right then. Suicide grip is a sort of viable bench press method at the end of the day.
Another person who still enjoys working out I presume? Yes some people prefer it because it's better on the wrists and uses your triceps more, but the risk of the bar slipping out of your hand is significantly higher thus it's name. My bench PRs are kinda weak right now so I'm questioning if i'll even be able to unrack the thing :pfff:
Sounds like a terrible idea.
"accidental" deaths such as these are hardly ever peaceful. (I put quotations around accidental bc I suppose there are people out there who try to do this intentionally)

I imagine trying this on purpose would be difficult because of SI. I would find another method
My thoughts exactly. I'm really grasping for straws here now that SN and Gun have been denied to me. The one appeal of this method would be how it's seemingly accidental. Only the people who truly know me will figure it out. Rather have people thinking I did some dumb ego-lifting one day instead of giving up of life.

Reactions: chloramine and HadItAll
A

Asphyxiater

Mar 7, 2023
As the title suggests what is the probability of successfully CTBing at the gym with just their equipment?

In the lifting community there is a "meme" I saw where the guy is depressed cause his training partner is leaving him/ got a girlfriend now or whatever. So as he's about to bench press he loads the bar up pretty heavy and employs a dangerous technique known as the "suicide grip" end of clip.

I'm wondering how plausible this in real life. If I were to put 400 pounds or so on the bar and drop it on my chest or neck would that be enough to do me in? How instantaneous and catastrophic would the damage be? I work out at a public gym so the response would be very quick, people would probably be watching close by. Getting "saved" is inevitable, so whatever would be done needs to be irreversible.

Edit: wow I got the caption completely wrong. Or this is another short. Anyway I found it and am going to share it for those who are curious.

That would cause traumatic asphyxiation and I don't think it's a good idea. You could build a guillotine with that 400 pounds with blunt metal sheet or make it drop on your head

Reactions: CantWait2D1E
CantWait2D1E

CantWait2D1E

Dec 24, 2022
That would cause traumatic asphyxiation and I don't think it's a good idea. You could build a guillotine with that 400 pounds with blunt metal sheet or make it drop on your head
Thank you. This is exactly the kind of response I was looking for. Explaining what would actually happen during this method. If asphyxiation is anything like drowning this is a no-go. I can't even hold my head underwater in the bathtub for more than 10 seconds without that desperate feeling of needing air.

I guess I was hoping that if I dropped it on my chest it'd shatter all my ribs and cause enough internal bleeding for it to be fatal. Internal bleeding is hard to treat only surgeons can do it. Paramedics/EMTs lack the equipment or expertise to solve it.

Dropping it on the head would be more effective it seems. But like I said I'm not the worlds strongest man or anything so controlling that weight in such a manner would be hard

F

FireWalkWithMe

Experienced
Jun 18, 2022
Terrible idea I'm afraid. It's very unlikely you could firstly set this up and secondly conduct it with the precision required to quickly end your life. In fact you are in the lap of the god's as to whether it would even have a reasonable prospect of ending your life, you may just cripple yourself and there are tons of people around to save you to add to the complication of this calculation.

You're taking freak accidents and contriving a method out of it and that can't possibly be good. What next, walking through building sites without a hard hat on?