Akanea

Akanea

Student
May 24, 2023
Hey SS,
i was wondering if any of you ever did sky diving, and how hard it would be to jump without a parachute or remove it in the air? I have vertigo and wouldn't jump of a bridge or a building but sky diving seems less scary to me for some reason, and you have a hell of an adrenaline rush for your final minutes

Reactions: ShinyScissors, sserafim, Praestat_Mori and 2 others
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
You can't just sky dive alone, I hope you are aware of that.

Reactions: Pomegranate, MatrixPrisoner and Homo erectus
chris1979

chris1979

Multiverse is real
Aug 14, 2023
I had a failed attempt from jumping from a very high height (but not sky diving).

Just want to say that anything related to heights has a strong SI that kicks in. Very hard to overcome when you are actually faced with it.

Reactions: Letmedienow, wasted__life__23 and Homo erectus
S

soleil

Apr 28, 2023
There are multiple checks by others to make sure your gear is secure. There is also a little machine that will deploy your reserve automatically if you don't pull. It's possible to undo straps once you're under canopy but SI probably won't give you the courage to do so.

Reactions: Chronicoverwhelm, tora and Homo erectus
Asingletwig

Asingletwig

Oct 1, 2020
You can't just sky dive alone, I hope you are aware of that.
Well that's why we're doing a sasu group dive. Wanna bet on who does the best tricks?

• Yay!
Reactions: ChronicallyCynical, sserafim, MeltingBrain and 4 others
tora

tora

lonelycity
Jun 11, 2023
I think you have to have some sort of certification to be able to sky dive alone. otherwise, you have to do it strapped to an instructor. it would be a cool way to go tho, you'd get a really good view on your way down

Reactions: Homo erectus
hikikomori-

hikikomori-

Sep 10, 2023
I think you have to have some sort of certification to be able to sky dive alone. otherwise, you have to do it strapped to an instructor. it would be a cool way to go tho, you'd get a really good view on your way down
Kind of reminds me of that suicidal airline employee who stole a plane by himself and crashed it into a mountain. What a way to go.

Reactions: sserafim and tora
U

uniqueusername987

Sep 9, 2023
I had a failed attempt from jumping from a very high height (but not sky diving).

Just want to say that anything related to heights has a strong SI that kicks in. Very hard to overcome when you are actually faced with it.
Yikes. How bad was it? Was planning this as my method. Seemed more effective than benadryl.

Reactions: ChronicallyCynical, tora and wasted__life__23
sserafim

sserafim

brighter than the sun, that’s just me
Sep 13, 2023
That sounds dope tbh. Honestly I was considering it after I saw it in a list of methods somewhere. It would be a cool way to go and no one would suspect anything. There also wouldn't be the stigma of suicide.

Last edited:
chris1979

chris1979

Multiverse is real
Aug 14, 2023
Yikes. How bad was it? Was planning this as my method. Seemed more effective than benadryl.

I tried to jump from an extremely high cliff. Before that I practiced jumping from smaller heights without fear. I also spent time walk along the cliff edge without fear.

When the time came to jump my body and mind just froze.

I can explain it like this: imagine you try to put your hand over a hot fire in the flames. No matter how much you want to do that, your brain will tell your hand to move out of the fire automatically. It's a strong automatic response.

It felt this way with the cliff. Even though I wanted to jump so bad, my brain decided to freeze my body once I was standing at the edge trying to jump.

I realised it wasn't happening.

The survival instinct we have is VERY strong and not to be underestimated for physical CTB like jumping, drowning, fire.

It's wired into our brains at a basic fundamental level to avoid such things at all cost by instinct.
I'm not saying you can't catch the bus this way, but just consider the SI - it's much stronger than you might imagine.
I'm not saying you can't CTB this way, but just the SI from the physical environment (jumping, drowning, fire) is much stronger than you might imagine.

Last edited:
tora

tora

lonelycity
Jun 11, 2023
Kind of reminds me of that suicidal airline employee who stole a plane by himself and crashed it into a mountain. What a way to go.
you mean sky king aka Beebo Russell? I love that story, it made me so happy to hear about :) he died doing something he always dreamed of doing, plus he made a world record with the barrel roll before he nose-dived

Reactions: Infinitespace_, hikikomori- and Bagobones9
H

Hyd999

Sep 10, 2021
You have to take a class to do it solo. I did the class with the attitude "i wana die and this sounds like fun". on jump day since its ur first jump you put on a suit over ur clothes with strap handles by the legs. So when you jump they have an instructor hold each side of ur lef strap (2 instructors total) and they stay next to you till you deploy ur parachute then they let go. Well when jumping out I tumbled (not sure why to this day- dont know if i jumped wrong angle or what) but as i tumbled the instructors pulled my shoot (its procedure if they are not able to hold on) so since i was tumbling my shute got tangled.

Let me tell ya when ur coming down that fast and that speed ur in fight or flight mode. I did have a reserve shute but i faught hard as i could to get it untangled. And finally i was able to untangle it while free falling.

Man do i wish i wasnt able to recover and just die. But actually being in the situation made me freak out and gave me the fight or flight response to save myself.

My new method is nitrogen. Its ready for me when i need it. Its not painful its not scary like jumping from a plane and theres no panic attack just instant relief. I wish i was able to just do that and end it but SI kicks in too much :(

Atleast when i need it, its ready tho. Just knowing that does calm me

B

Bagobones9

Aug 19, 2023
you mean sky king aka Beebo Russell? I love that story, it made me so happy to hear about :) he died doing something he always dreamed of doing, plus he made a world record with the barrel roll before he nose-dived
Have u ever listened to the recordings of him it's wholesome in a way

Reactions: tora
Valky

Valky

Petulant Child
Apr 4, 2023
Well that's why we're doing a sasu group dive. Wanna bet on who does the best tricks?
gordon ramsay facepalm GIF

W

WaitingAllMyLife

Jul 4, 2022
I am a skydiver (D license). I could go this way and it would be a nice way to go as skydiving is the one thing in my life that ever made me happy. But if you are a skydiver, you would not choose this method as it hurts the skydiving community, the dropzone, and reflects negatively on the sport.

Also, while survival is highly unlikely, there are instances where people have had a double malfunction (main and reserve parachutes) and survived impact. Not something I'd want to live through.

Lookoutbelow

Lookoutbelow

Jump to it
Sep 14, 2023
I would also like to know some details about the failed jump from high height. This is my planned method as well. Thought it was pretty guaranteed to succeed. I have now read about a couple of failed attempts, but no details on height or landing.

ShinyScissors

ShinyScissors

Another artist who wants to die
Feb 8, 2023
You have to take a class to do it solo. I did the class with the attitude "i wana die and this sounds like fun". on jump day since its ur first jump you put on a suit over ur clothes with strap handles by the legs. So when you jump they have an instructor hold each side of ur lef strap (2 instructors total) and they stay next to you till you deploy ur parachute then they let go. Well when jumping out I tumbled (not sure why to this day- dont know if i jumped wrong angle or what) but as i tumbled the instructors pulled my shoot (its procedure if they are not able to hold on) so since i was tumbling my shute got tangled.

Let me tell ya when ur coming down that fast and that speed ur in fight or flight mode. I did have a reserve shute but i faught hard as i could to get it untangled. And finally i was able to untangle it while free falling.

Man do i wish i wasnt able to recover and just die. But actually being in the situation made me freak out and gave me the fight or flight response to save myself.

My new method is nitrogen. Its ready for me when i need it. Its not painful its not scary like jumping from a plane and theres no panic attack just instant relief. I wish i was able to just do that and end it but SI kicks in too much :(

Atleast when i need it, its ready tho. Just knowing that does calm me
Oh! I researched this one. I think a pretty cool way is to board a plane and sit at the emergency exit the jump through there after reaching 10k feet. Just an idea no idea about the kinks

How does the SI kick in? My little brother jumped from 6 stories and died on impact. They say he felt no pain

Zegers

Zegers

Enlightened
Dec 15, 2021
lol this is a product of overthinking, a gun is not enough, you need a shotgun! jumping from 20 storeys is not enough, you need to go skydiving and jump from the sky!