Oceano

Oceano

Aug 25, 2024
I read news of people who chose a cruise as their last trip, and then jumped off the ship.
How safe is this method?

For me a trip, even on a cruise, would be a great way to leave this world.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and Timothy7dff
pain6batch9

pain6batch9

Chronic
Aug 25, 2024
I was thinking about this earlier. You'd have to wait until it was right out in the ocean. Mind you, they're as tall as tower blocks these days, so you might make a mess on the dock.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I actually applied to a company once that makes 'person overboard' sensors. Thought it would be kind of ironic if I ended up getting it but I didn't. Not that everyone who goes overboard intends to do it. I think there have been possible homicides carried out that way.

Not sure about the method of dying though really. Are they high enough to die on impact? I think drowning would be awful. Hypothermia probably wouldn't be good either. Still- yes, I see what you mean. It would be nice to have a nice time beforehand.

nihilistic_dragon

nihilistic_dragon

Dead already. Just need to dispose of my body now.
Aug 6, 2024
I personally wouldn't do it. Too much risk being discovered and "saved".

sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
The typical height for a jump over solid ground to be more or less certain death is 80-100 feet iirc. If you're jumping from one place on the ship to another that's all you'd need. If you were jumping in the water, you'd need to be a bit higher for the same effectiveness (not sure how high exactly, you'd have to research).

I believe jumping into water with a weight tied to you would be the best option. Drowning on it's own is second only to firearms in lethality. So, coupled with falling- even if you didn't die upon hitting the water, there's a decent chance you'd be unconscious while you drowned (which you would almost certainly not survive), and since you'd be sinking there'd be even less chance of medical attention.

Reactions: amnot and AmIForReal
Timothy7dff

Timothy7dff

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
People die all the time falling off cruise ships.

Reactions: divinemistress36 and sugarb
T

ThisIsMe1357

Student
May 20, 2024
For me, this seems like a very scary idea. What if I jumped but survived completely upon landing?

YuckyDucky

YuckyDucky

Dec 10, 2021
Its definitely possible, but most of the time you will be immediately detected by the ship's overboard detection system and a search initiated. If you are rescued, you'll find yourself in restraints and/or naked in a brig cell for the rest of your cruise and then handed over to authorities so they can help you get all better and not do such things. But you'd also end up on the global ban list shared by all the cruise lines, just in case, so there's no second attempt with this one either.

Reactions: amnot, waiting93 and JFED
sugarb

sugarb

long time sunshine
Jun 14, 2024
Its definitely possible, but most of the time you will be immediately detected by the ship's overboard detection system and a search initiated. If you are rescued, you'll find yourself in restraints and/or naked in a brig cell for the rest of your cruise and then handed over to authorities so they can help you get all better and not do such things. But you'd also end up on the global ban list shared by all the cruise lines, just in case, so there's no second attempt with this one either.
Also I believe anyone who fails an attempt is automatically put on a registry, which would make their life and future CTB more difficult (can't buy firearms, for one)