U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
So how wild can we get with the excuses and cover ups ?

hexd

hexd

I draw with silver, and it turns red.
May 3, 2023
i would just blame my job since it was considered so dangerous

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I used to blame my cats a lot lol, I think most people don't care too much if you give them something mildly plausible

Reactions: hermestrimegistus, pole, Roseate and 1 other person
Professor K

Professor K

your eyes vacant and stained
Feb 9, 2023
Yeah it's super effective to just say those are cat (or dog or whatever pet) scratches. Otherwise try not to cut your wrists if it makes it too visible and instead, aim for areas that are "naturally" covered by clothes depending on what you usually wear.

Reactions: throneofdispair03
FujoshiNeet

FujoshiNeet

people call me unhinged
Jan 21, 2024
My SH scars are so deep and there are so many of them, I can't deny what they are. Like only a major accident with a giant blender could produce the scars I have cuz I would cut to the muscle. IF someone questions them, I'm just honest.

U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
I cut covered to avoid it altogether.
I wish I could blame my pets sometimes, but between being worried they would be seen as bad pets and that my cat is extremely great about not trying to scratch me for baths. I would mostly not be believed. He tries to make a run for it but he doesn't attack me.
It just would make life worse if certain others knew about it .
I started this thread more for distraction in the moment and as a place to get creative and go wild with the lies and excuses.
Maybe I should have clarified it doesn't need to be a believable excuse ?
I'm struggling through a pretty rough patch right now.
Thanks to everyone who has taken time to reply.
My SH scars are so deep and there are so many of them, I can't deny what they are. Like only a major accident with a giant blender could produce the scars I have cuz I would cut to the muscle. IF someone questions them, I'm just honest.
How are you doing now ?

Do you mind if I ask how does that go for you ?

Do you mind if I ask how do you handle revealing that ?

Handle the various responses people have to revealing that ?

Last edited:
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Back around high school and during my gap year my mom noticed some of the scars on the back of my left arm from digging my nails into my skin and scratching and a few scars along my right forearm. I told her that I the scars on my left arm were from digging my nails into my skin when I slept and that the scars on my forearm were from me accidently scratching myself. She somehow believed me...

• Informative
Reactions: throneofdispair03
kittyswift

kittyswift

getting tired even for a phoenix..
Sep 29, 2023
i remember when i was a teenager i was self harming by stabbing my wrists with scissors. Then, i broke my arm so my arm and wrist had to be examined by a lot of people and each of them would ask if i had been self harming- i said no i don't know what these weird marks are it just happened when i injured my arm! somehow nobody said anything more on the matter haha

ByeByeMaria

ByeByeMaria

I want to leave!
Jan 22, 2024
When I was younger, people that I knew of would say some pretty dramatic things- from "I fell into a rosebush" (how dreamy) to "I had sex with Edward Scissorhands" (much more of a joke than an excuse or lie)

• Love
Reactions: an_alias
juststitches

juststitches

give me something to forget.
Mar 9, 2023
Now that I think about it... I've never lied how I got my sh scars. I just straight up tell the bland truth lmao I just don't give a fuck what people thinks, It's not like my scars are not visible since my arms and legs are covered by them so yea... i used to try to hide them before my parents first discovered but the last time i self harmed i just waited till they were a little more healed since I don't like others watching my wounds when they are still fresh because I believe that could be potentially triggering to someone so yea :<

S

Scythe

Lost in a delusion
Sep 5, 2022
I used to cut on visible places, I vaguely recall glossing it over, I don't remember the details. But a few awkward and very annoying encounters later I only cut places that cannot be seen unless I strip. I can't wear really short shorts though.

vampyre

vampyre

Jul 3, 2023
The first time I cut, I would do it on my arms but my mom found out pretty quickly and I said it was one of our cats. It freaked me out so bad in the moment so I never cut my arms anymore, just my thigh

U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
Those of you who just let people know.

Do you mind if I ask how did you get that much self confidence or disregard of others opinions ? and how do you handle people who would want to send you to get help over it ?

R

Roseate

Arcanist
Mar 24, 2021
My excuse is that my hands hurts so I'm covering it because it's hurting me. No one will question that.
Those of you who just let people know.

Do you mind if I ask how did you get that much self confidence or disregard of others opinions ? and how do you handle people who would want to send you to get help over it ?
I don't hide my old scars but I always hide new scars. If I'm wearing a regular shirt and they see it then they can usually tell it's SH scars because my scars are deep usually. They will go on and give a useless speech and I'll just say okay but really it doesn't matter what they say. It's always some bullshit anyways tbh so I let them talk to themself.

U

Unsure and alone

It's a slow fade
Dec 10, 2023
My excuse is that my hands hurts so I'm covering it because it's hurting me. No one will question that.

I don't hide my old scars but I always hide new scars. If I'm wearing a regular shirt and they see it then they can usually tell it's SH scars because my scars are deep usually. They will go on and give a useless speech and I'll just say okay but really it doesn't matter what they say. It's always some bullshit anyways tbh so I let them talk to themself.
Thanks for answering.
I think certain people around me would try and force me to a ward because of it.

Very much overreact first type people.
And having the " it's for your own good " viewpoint.

I definitely don't want to hear anything they have to say about it.

Especially since sometimes it's their words that I'm releasing on my skin.

I'll listen to others though about it.
Depending how they approach it .

R

Roseate

Arcanist
Mar 24, 2021
Thanks for answering.
I think certain people around me would try and force me to a ward because of it.

Very much overreact first type people.
And having the " it's for your own good " viewpoint.

I definitely don't want to hear anything they have to say about it.

Especially since sometimes it's their words that I'm releasing on my skin.

I'll listen to others though about it.
Depending how they approach it .
Exactly, the same people asking you why you do it are sometimes the cause. People are so judgmental about it but it's the same as drinking and smoking due to stress yet somehow they think they're better because they hide the pain by smoking and drinking out every night. It's annoying. It's all the same. If we are at risk of being put in a ward for cutting then it should apply to all the other negative coping mechanisms like drinking and smoking.

Reactions: LastFlowers
EyeWish...

EyeWish...

I, I hit the bottom, hit the bottom and escape
Jan 29, 2024
I didn't even have to give an excuse once. I was at the doctor's office and a nurse discovered my self harm scars. She just acted like she didn't see it, completely ignored it. There is no way you could miss those scars, over a year and a half later and I can still see the self harm scars I did back then.

almondmilk

almondmilk

And you know, for you, I'd bleed myself dry
Mar 7, 2023
nobody asked me about my cuts,back in hisghschool i used to be made fun off for them , people don't rrly care about me

• Hugs
Reactions: an_alias