Rumi

Rumi

Experienced
Mar 29, 2023
At concentrations of 12,000 ppm or higher, CO can cause unconsciousness in several breathes, and death in a few minutes.

Many who attempt the CO method try to reach this concentration by burning up to 5 kilos of charcoal inside of a small car or room. This version of the method is effective, but it is costly and it requires the attempter to have a car or attempt inside a building, neither of which is ideal.

Would it be possible to reverse the conventional method, and instead attempt to burn a much smaller quantity of charcoal inside of a very small space?

According to the guide of @befree 135 grams/m3 of CO is required to reach a concentration of between 8000 and 10,000 ppm; if the CO method was attempted inside of a plastic bag measuring 0.25 m3, a deadly concentration of CO could be reached by burning just 35g of charcoal!

The impression I have gotten while researching this method is that many people struggle to properly insulate the space where they plan to attempt the CO method. Using a plastic bag solves this problem, as a trash bag you can find in a convenience store or supermarket is completely airproof. If you have doubts, you can check this for yourself by placing the bag over your head. You will be able to breathe for about 15 minutes before you need to remove the bag; that should be enough time for the CO to cause death.

To prevent the bag from melting, you should place something above and below your coals that will absorb the heat. Once you do that, you'll be good to go.

If someone more familiar with the CO method sees some problem with my variation of it, please let me know in the replies.

C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
Just stumbled upon this thread randomly.

Interesting method you proposed...

To prevent the bag from melting, you should place something above and below your coals that will absorb the heat. Once you do that, you'll be good to go.

You'd need to somehow capture the CO into the bag.
I'm not sure whether it's possible to do it in a feasible manner, as I've never burned charcoal (specifically for producing CO) myself.

Also, I'm not familiar with CO and how it works with SI.
The bag would need to be placed over the head in a manner that it cannot be ripped off or damaged in any other way.

The main difference with your proposed method as opposed to the normal inert gas used,
is that the effects of CO would persist, even if the bag has been removed (for whatever reason).
So you would risk rapid permanent injury in the event of a failure.

I

its.all.gone

at the end we sleep4ever
Nov 3, 2023
At concentrations of 12,000 ppm or higher, CO can cause unconsciousness in several breathes, and death in a few minutes.

Many who attempt the CO method try to reach this concentration by burning up to 5 kilos of charcoal inside of a small car or room. This version of the method is effective, but it is costly and it requires the attempter to have a car or attempt inside a building, neither of which is ideal.

Would it be possible to reverse the conventional method, and instead attempt to burn a much smaller quantity of charcoal inside of a very small space?

According to the guide of @befree 135 grams/m3 of CO is required to reach a concentration of between 8000 and 10,000 ppm; if the CO method was attempted inside of a plastic bag measuring 0.25 m3, a deadly concentration of CO could be reached by burning just 35g of charcoal!

The impression I have gotten while researching this method is that many people struggle to properly insulate the space where they plan to attempt the CO method. Using a plastic bag solves this problem, as a trash bag you can find in a convenience store or supermarket is completely airproof. If you have doubts, you can check this for yourself by placing the bag over your head. You will be able to breathe for about 15 minutes before you need to remove the bag; that should be enough time for the CO to cause death.

If someone more familiar with the CO method sees some problem with my variation of it, please let me know in the replies.

interesting idea, will think about this more.

even engines with catalytic converter produce heavy percent of CO during initial cold start of the engine. maybe easier to fill the bag this way than with charcoal burning.

C

ClownWorld2023

Arcanist
Sep 18, 2023
While the proposed idea may seem it sound like an easier and more accessible method, great care should be taken as it's still carbon-monoxide.

Unlike the inert gas + plastic bag method, you can't just abort the CO method risk-free.
The carbon-monoxide can stay in the blood for hours.

peace_van

peace_van

My time stops now.
Sep 9, 2023
Can't imagine that.
You burn coal inside the bag with your head inside? You could get burned and trigger your SI to remove the bag.
I think this may only be viable if you can make a CO gas generator with formic acid and sulfuric acid as stated in PPeH and fill your bag with CO by that generator.
In this case I think H2S is better because the reaction to generate H2S does not need external heat.

P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
This is not gonna work with charcoal / incomplete combustion of materials that contain carbon. If you intend to do it this way you need sulfuric acid and formic acid. This will generate pure CO that has to be washed with a gas-washing-bottle bc formic acid has a terrible pungent smell. You can "collect" the pure CO in a plastic bag.

I think just putting the plastic bag over head may not work in the end it still must be sth like the exit bag.

In some countries it might be possible to buy CO cylinders (test gas).