• Hey Guest,

If you want to donate, we have a thread with updated donation options here at this link: About Donations

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
I overdosed in March attempting to CTB, and I finally have all the medical bills associated with the attempt. I'm in the US, so I knew that the medical care I received would be outlandishly expensive even with insurance. Seeing the actual numbers is insane though. Just the ambulance ride to the hospital was $1400 AFTER insurance. I was in the ER for two days & then intensive care for five, which surprisingly only ended up being $1200. I saw a cardiologist while I was in intensive care though, and he charged me $500 for a 5 minute consultation where he told me that my heart rate consistently going over 170 any time I stood up was just my anxiety & to see him when I was normal 🙃 Then I was sent to a psych ward. I had to be transported by ambulance, which was $300. I stayed on the ward for 7 days, and only saw the psychiatrist once the entire time I was there, yet they charged me over $1000 a day. Without insurance, my bill for just the psych ward would have been $7600. Insurance brought it down to $1400, but I had to pay same day when I was discharged or the ward would charge me $200 for going on a payment plan. I've had to do a lot of follow up medical appointments since I was discharged bc of complications with my overdose, which I'm still in the process of, to the point that I've thankfully hit my out of pocket expenses for the year for my insurance. But without insurance this would've been insane. Rough estimate I probably would owe $40,000 in medical expenses so far this year without insurance. It's just insane that they can charge so much from suicidal people when none of these visits have even actually done anything for me. Being mentally ill shouldn't put me in crippling medical debt, but here we are 😐

• Aww..
  • Hugs
Reactions: permanently tired, Unknown21, Alexei_Kirillov and 8 others
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
America is nuts. I don't get how such a so called modern country has such a setup when even third world ones have free medical services.

Reactions: KuriGohan&Kamehameha, JenX and Talvikki
F

Fuko1

Jun 27, 2024
What bad luck and then they talk about the American dream. It disturbs me to think that my plan could fail.

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
America is nuts. I don't get how such a so called modern country has such a setup when even third world ones have free medical services.
Yeah the American health system is just a cash grab, especially for psychiatric care. The ward I was at is known for holding people longer than they should & instigating involuntary holds just to get more money out of them. In one of the poorest cities in my state 😒
What bad luck and then they talk about the American dream. It disturbs me to think that my plan could fail.
My failed attempt has had very severe consequences. If we want to succeed, we definitely need to plan thoroughly to avoid outcomes like this

Last edited:
Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_
T

timetodie24

Arcanist
Apr 14, 2023
Oh god I'm sorry it's incomprehensible to me . I'm in england and the nhs is shit at times but so thankful treatment is free. I'd hate to think what my medical bills would be . The cost never crosses my mind so it's crazy to me how much everything costs. The only time I got an idea was after an attempt when nurses were loudly discussing how expensive a specific medication i needed was .

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Illuminated
Jul 23, 2022
The American flavor of corporate mental health care truly captures the very worst of its essence. It's sad that people look at people's suffering and just see an opportunity to take advantage of in order to line their pockets. I can't even begin to think that way.

I bet you were at a UHS facility or some other for-profit (yuck).

ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
Oh god I'm sorry it's incomprehensible to me . I'm in england and the nhs is shit at times but so thankful treatment is free. I'd hate to think what my medical bills would be . The cost never crosses my mind so it's crazy to me how much everything costs. The only time I got an idea was after an attempt when nurses were loudly discussing how expensive a specific medication i needed was .
Oof yeah everything I've heard about the NHS just sounds like gross negligence. It's good that treatment is free though with how long they seem to keep people in the hospital. I didn't even factor my medications into my estimate either. I'm on like 6 different psych meds rn & am doing Spravato, so it would definitely be crazy expensive if I hadn't hit out of pocket 😬
The American flavor of corporate mental health care truly captures the very worst of its essence. It's sad that people look at people's suffering and just see an opportunity to take advantage of in order to line their pockets. I can't even begin to think that way.

I bet you were at a UHS facility or some other for-profit (yuck).
Yeah it was a for-profit. Their yearly patient revenue is over $137 million 🙃

• Hugs
Reactions: timetodie24
murmur

murmur

cage
Dec 11, 2022
Holy shit.
Fun fact america has the highest dissatisfaction rate for health care, in the world. Cool 🙂

Reactions: ferrie
Qua

Qua

there's no turning back now
Apr 30, 2023
I never understood how they fucked up the health care so badly. Out of everything they could've made extremely expensive they chose that, causing so many people to not be able to get the help they need. It's completely nuts

Reactions: ferrie
ferrie

ferrie

she/they
May 19, 2024
I never understood how they fucked up the health care so badly. Out of everything they could've made extremely expensive they chose that, causing so many people to not be able to get the help they need. It's completely nuts
It's pure greed, plain and simple

• Aww..
Reactions: _AllCatsAreGrey_ and Qua