Fire&Ash

Fire&Ash

Experienced
Apr 15, 2020
Is anyone on this site part of the corporate world? Just thought I'd ask cause I look at TikTok a lot and all I see is "I want to escape this" etc etc and I wonder what is so bad about it? I would like to sit at a desk and work at a computer too lol

ClownMe

ClownMe

Don't Cry for Me, I'm Already Dead
Apr 7, 2021
I dont work an office job and I never have but ive always wondered the same thing myself.

All work is obviously shit no matter what it is, however having worked only labouring, food service and retail jobs in my life (and hating everything about them), I just always assumed that office type jobs would be at least slightly better than those.

Reactions: Journeytoletgo and Fire&Ash
Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
It's a great place as long as you like money more than you like people.

Fire&Ash

Fire&Ash

Experienced
Apr 15, 2020
It's a great place as long as you like money more than you like people.
Hell yeah I do. My main struggle is that Im not independent and that seriously makes me mad, mad at myself, because Im not gunna have my support network forever so a some point I will have to live on my own and that shit is expensive

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Office environment is very political. You need a high social intelligence and sharp elbows. If you don't have that you will want out because people who do have that will abuse you.

Fire&Ash

Fire&Ash

Experienced
Apr 15, 2020
Office environment is very political. You need a high social intelligence and sharp elbows. If you don't have that you will want out because people who do have that will abuse you.
damn. I was just hoping to sit in a cubicle, clock in and clock out. just ignore office drama but I guess even the office has toxic work environments.

Makko

Makko

Iä!
Jan 17, 2021
Purely isolated cubicle work is mostly automated or obsolete today from what I've seen. Office workers are needed mainly for the human aspect, to do things computers still can't do.

To give an example, in my current organization, about 20 years ago there was at least one secretary for every attorney. Today there's one secretary per 15-20 attorneys.

Last edited:
Kattt

Kattt

Ancient of Mu-Mu
May 18, 2021
So many people spend their entire life getting up and spending the day in a job they hate, but would rather moan abou it on social media than try and do anythig about it.
How hard is it to look for and apply for jobs? Even consider retraining. Beter than lying on your deathbed saying "if only...."