_Minsk

_Minsk

death: the cure for life
Dec 9, 2019
one of my main reasons for ctb are the huge amount of diseases (and ocd haha). scientists already have come up with the fancy label 'post antibiotic era'. its one, if not the biggest threads to our human species, beside climate change and covid19. tbh, what is this life even worth if we cant just follow our pleasure and joy, like making love? there have been several reports of multi-resistant gonorrhea, and they are going to become a normal thing soon. ~70% of all antibiotics are being fed to animals, including the meat production. its a ticking time bomb and just a matter of time till all bacteria have been exposed to antibiotics and developed resistances, its not just std's but all pathogenic bacteria.

an article from 2018(source):
The infection, which was also resistant to a slew of other antibiotics, was quickly dubbed "super gonorrhea" by the UK press. It was the first reported case in the world of gonorrhea with combined high-level azithromycin resistance and ceftriaxone resistance.
It certainly won't be the last. In the following months, two similar cases would be reported in Australia.
Ultimately, the British man's infection was cured. But not until the patient had received 3 days of intravenous (IV) treatment with ertapenem, a "last-resort" antibiotic normally reserved for severe, life-threatening infections and not intended for garden-variety sexually transmitted diseases (STDs).
"If this was to become the norm, the impact on healthcare services would be huge," Mark Lawton, MD, of the British Association for Sexual Health and HIV, told CIDRAP News.
Welcome to the world of super-resistant gonorrhea.
A history of resistance
When conversations with experts in infectious disease and antibiotic resistance come around to the topic of antibiotic-resistant gonorrhea, a common refrain eventually emerges.
It's not a matter of if gonorrhea will become resistant to the currently recommended antibiotic treatment, but when.
one thing to mention; those "last-resort" antibiotics are even used in meat production. its just a matter of time till all pathogenic bacteria have become resistant to all antibiotics and we're back at square one. i haven't planed to get children and i think i don't want to bring any into this crappy world, its just getting worse and worse, its hilarious..

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Hugs
Reactions: Fadinglife, Ἡγησίας, Inferdan and 5 others
rhiino

rhiino

Arcanist
May 13, 2020
There will be a time when antibiotics do not work anymore, yes. It really is no wonder when billions of animals are fed preventively with it to mass produce dairy products, eggs and meat. Even in aquacultures (fish-farms) they use it heavily and it spreads into the surrounding ocean.

But let me tell you, there were times before antibiotics and people were still living. In fact we do not need antibioticts, we just have to accept the fact that people die, that is nature, that is life. The culture to keep everybody alive has only increased suffering anyway.

Of course it is nearly impossible to keep a multi-billion human population healthy without antibiotics, but there are far too many humans anyway. The ecosystem will start to self-regulate again and multi-resistant bacteria is part of that.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Ἡγησίας, WatermelonMel, Inferdan and 4 others
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I read they research other types of substances that can be used to fight infection. If all bacteria become resitant that research will prolly get fast tracked and the problem will be solved. Right now there's prolly not enough incentive in that direction because antibiotics still work.

A

Aap

Enlightened
Apr 26, 2020
Humanity made it ok before antibiotics, and even if there suddenly were none now, life would not revert back to the pre antibiotic world due to advances in knowledge, such as sterile technique, and general sanitation and sterilization methods for which antibiotic resistance can't develop.

the gloom and doom of "super bugs" has been occurring since the identification of resistance to sulfa drugs and penicillin. Drug resistance always has and always will be a thing; it's just an easy story with guaranteed hysteria and hand wringing that can be published every few months.

Csmith8827

Csmith8827

Don't you listen to your heart? (Listen to it...)
Oct 26, 2019
But what if corona really was a joke? Like fabricated news etc? I appreciate the real stimulus cash though, dis hotel is niiicceee.