catalepsy

catalepsy

Student
Sep 4, 2020
How on earth do people make so much smalltalk for so much of their day without flailing into awkward silences and going, "Uh, oh! Looks like someone's cutting the lawn over there. Bet that job sucks. Well, maybe not this time of year, I mean, it is nice out right now. Actually, now that I think about it, I bet that's an awesome job if it pays well, just not during the summer. Screw all that."

You know what I mean? God, I hate that crap. I always feel like there's this expected thing I'm supposed to be doing, a part I'm supposed to be playing maybe? Like, driving home from work with a friend, she turns and gives me this look like she was waiting for me to say something, and I have no idea what on earth she wants to hear at 4am on a Thursday on a small country road with nothing interesting in the vicinity but us. "Oh ha, yeah, those earrings look nice." "What?" "Uh.. Oh. So, uhm, how are you?" "Didn't you ask me that a minute ago?" "Oh right."Well, just feck off you weird empty form of human socialization and communication. Can't we just get rid of this whole convention and replace it with noodle fighting? The one person would start by producing a noodle and whacking the other person, and the other person would, without acknowledging the whack given by the first person, produce a second noodle, then proceed to whack the first person with it. They would take turns whacking each other off until they reached their destination, or the one defeated the other by pure noodly dominance. I don't know. Jesus, it just seems more sensible than what most of our verbiage consists of.

I've had such a weird week I'm not even sure what I'm doing anymore. I'm out of my mind and totally bored at the same time. I suppose you'd call that ambivalent, but I can't tell the difference between it and overstimulation, or overstimulation and being unconscious. I'd rather be unconscious, or at the very least drunk, but I have to work tonight and can't afford to feel all groggy later today. This sucks.

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: _Minsk, SnowWhite, TheSoulless and 5 others
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I'm not good at small talk, either.

• Hugs
Reactions: Deleted member 4993
BitterlyAlive

BitterlyAlive

---
Apr 8, 2020
Small talk is difficult. I just let the other person take the lead.

• Hugs
Sensei

Sensei

剣道家
Nov 4, 2019
I really suck at small talk and I don't want to become better at it. Every time I'm drawn into small talk it feels as if a slice of my soul is shaved off. This hasn't exactly made my life easier, to say the very least.

• Hugs
Reactions: Mm80
Silenos

Silenos

Ṿ̸̄Ọ̶͂Ỉ̶͉D̴̞͝ ̴̲̐A̷̾͜W̷̪͒Ā̵̯I̵͍̅T̵̛͔S̷̗͛
Jul 25, 2020
Omg I lost it at the noodle fighting suggestion. I also totally agree with your post. Forced small talk makes me want to run away from people.

• Love
Reactions: catalepsy
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
You sound like me lol. Im autistic and cannot not just stand small talk, it physically hurts.
I know exactly what you mean. Somebody makes a small comment, usually negative about something, and i really think about it and dont know what to say. Wtf is expected of me ?
I started a job in an office this week and it is the slowest most painful week of my life.
Someone tells a shit corny lazy joke, id better laugh.
Someone is talking some self indulgent bullshit about themselves, id better look interested.
Then im expected to talk about myself. No thanks ive nothing to say.
Please can i just learn the job, and go home ???

Last edited:
Reactions: catalepsy
woxihuanni

woxihuanni

Illuminated
Aug 19, 2019
I can handle some small talk, but there are limits. Once there was an old lady I'd just met who recounted every item of groceries she bought somewhere, along with precisely where that was. I was just amazed, is she not aware that she is horrifying, suffocating and pathetic? She was not a sweet granny with sadly nothing else in her life, she was at some event filled with cucks and whores.

Same goes for endless birth family troubles from adults. You have a wife/husband, you don't need to have a close enough relationship with your parents that it can be filled with drama and I have to listen to it.

Reactions: catalepsy and Sensei
VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
human interaction is so painful. if people are going to talk, they better make it interesting, funny, or informative. if it's not any of those three, please don't talk to me. i'd be much better at noodle fighting.

Reactions: catalepsy and Mm80
Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
human interaction is so painful. if people are going to talk, they better make it interesting, funny, or informative. if it's not any of those three, please don't talk to me. i'd be much better at noodle fighting.
Do you ever wonder where the problem lies? What you just asked for in a conversation seems reasonable to me. Why drag me through the mundane, lazy repetitive shitty conversations about the weather?

Soulless Angel

Soulless Angel

Did someone say Rum?
Jul 6, 2020
I struggle big time with small talk, I normally play the dumb card and chose to repeat myself, and claim I don't recall ever saying it, or ask them to repeat a story I love to hear, again claiming not to remember it,
Small talk with neighbours when I leave the house is the worst, they like conversation, I stand looking dumb, I smile and claim I need a wee and leg it the opposite way to what I need to be

VIBRITANNIA

VIBRITANNIA

lelouch. any pronouns. pfp is by pixiv id 3217872.
Aug 10, 2020
Do you ever wonder where the problem lies? What you just asked for in a conversation seems reasonable to me. Why drag me through the mundane, lazy repetitive shitty conversations about the weather?
my guess is that people would rather not use their brain or be uncomfortable, so they default to stupid topics like the weather.

what can you even say about the weather? "it's sunny" yeah, darrel, it is. that's what happens sometimes. at least with other topics, like "how was your day" or "how was work", you can bullshit your way through that. i'd rather not bullshit at all, but oh well. being bland is being sociable, apparently.

Mm80

Mm80

Enlightened
May 15, 2019
my guess is that people would rather not use their brain or be uncomfortable, so they default to stupid topics like the weather.

what can you even say about the weather? "it's sunny" yeah, darrel, it is. that's what happens sometimes. at least with other topics, like "how was your day" or "how was work", you can bullshit your way through that. i'd rather not bullshit at all, but oh well. being bland is being sociable, apparently.
I used to enjoy the weather one by going into technical detail about it.
Ie yeah the windspeed is 24mph easterly and humidity levels are 68 percent.

• Love
Reactions: VIBRITANNIA
TheSoulless

TheSoulless

I'd like to fly but my wings have been so denied
Jan 7, 2020
I always feel like there's this expected thing I'm supposed to be doing, a part I'm supposed to be playing maybe?
Exactly this! It feels like a game or a play. I have no idea how others can enjoy it, or if they do at all. It's so weird and artificial.

Nymph

Nymph

he/him
Jul 15, 2020
I'm not good at any kind of talk. I hate taking in general

Reactions: _Minsk
catalepsy

catalepsy

Student
Sep 4, 2020
So I'm going to work drunk. Kids, don't try this at home.

Deleted member 17949

Deleted member 17949

Visionary
May 9, 2020
I think a lot of it comes down to being socially well adjusted and not having any particular mental issues that make social situations very hard for you. I find not being able to read people's moods and body language makes small talk really hard for me. I can't really flow in the conversation and I am not really in touch with what people are thinking and saying enough to be able to be witty, fun or interesting.

C

checkouttime

Visionary
Jul 15, 2020
i think a massive problem is and a big reason for it is the internet and social media. people spend too much time on their phones and not interacting with actual people in real life.

I used to go out with my ex,we used to sit and laugh about all the couples and groups of people just sat on their phones.

I didn't even bother taking my phone out and could sit all night talking about stuff, we never used to be on our phones. but i looked around and people are having meals, on their phones,taking selfies. i think its a big problem with society nowadays