P

pinkblur

Oct 3, 2023
living with borderline is really starting to weigh down on me. i don't know how much longer i can endure living life like this.

i really want to CTB but i can't yet, not for a long time. i feel i'm running out of options to make my prolonged stay more bearable, as such, i am considering checking myself in to the psyche ward.

i will not be sharing any information about this site or any CTB methods i have available to me.

assuming they even accept me in, what would i expect from a voluntary check in? i've been in the wards involuntarily but it's been so long.

i don't have any issues with substances, and i prefer to not be put on any medication. would there be any point during my stay where they would try and force me to take medication?

• Hugs
Reactions: exitingtothevoid and Forever Sleep
Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Not looking for advice or a pep talk
Jun 12, 2024
We can't tell you if they could force you to take medication because we do not know where you live and laws vary by location.

Reactions: wren-briar
Nikitatos

Nikitatos

Wizard
Apr 10, 2024
What do you think they're going to do for you?

IMO most mental health services are pretty useless for people trying to get help.

Reactions: NegevChina, wren-briar, lachrymost and 3 others
P

pinkblur

Oct 3, 2023
We can't tell you if they could force you to take medication because we do not know where you live and laws vary by location.
ohh, thanks i forgot to mention i live in northern california

IMO most mental health services are pretty useless for people trying to get help.
honestly, i don't know. i don't know where else to turn. i feel i've tried everything i've gone to so many years of therapy and learned so many tools and everything is starting to weigh on me too much

Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Jun 12, 2024
ohh, thanks i forgot to mention i live in northern california
Probably won't force you if you go there voluntarily and are nice and cooperative and articulate clearly why medication is not useful for your case.

The psych ward has helped me 50% of the time I've gone. If you want to go, then maybe it's a good time to try. The most important thing is that you should only go if you can remain "cooperative" at all times, even when upset. If you feel yourself getting worked up, go straight to the nurse's station and ask for some medication and if someone can help distract you for a few minutes. They are invested in you not getting worked up, so they're usually happy to give you some hydroxyzine or lorazepam. Enjoy the comraderie with other patients but do not expect relationships to continue after discharge, even if numbers are exchanged.

Reactions: complex and pinkblur
N

nextstepdeath

Student
Sep 5, 2024

This is the brutal truth of our system, that being said OP if you know it will help you then you should push for it.

P

pinkblur

Oct 3, 2023
Probably won't force you if you go there voluntarily and are nice and cooperative and articulate clearly why medication is not useful for your case.

The psych ward has helped me 50% of the time I've gone. If you want to go, then maybe it's a good time to try. The most important thing is that you should only go if you can remain "cooperative" at all times, even when upset. If you feel yourself getting worked up, go straight to the nurse's station and ask for some medication and if someone can help distract you for a few minutes. They are invested in you not getting worked up, so they're usually happy to give you some hydroxyzine or lorazepam. Enjoy the comraderie with other patients but do not expect relationships to continue after discharge, even if numbers are exchanged.
thank you this is very helpful. i am going to try for this weekend and i'll report results here

Reactions: Manfrotto99
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to force you under these circumstances.

But I would be careful of arguing against "usefulness". If the doctor tells you they think a medication would be helpful to treat your symptoms, and you argue against that, what you'd likely be doing is arguing against science. This much, I'd advise against, unless you can cite research/studies that support what you're saying.

It should be fair enough to say you'd rather not do any medication because of (whatever your reasons are). Maybe it's fair enough to say you don't have to give a reason at all, I don't know. But I'd lean away from arguing against anything that's supported by science.

H

Hollowman

Empty
Dec 14, 2021
If you have a way to pay I'm sure you'll be accepted. Profiting off peoples suffering is what it's mostly about.

Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Jun 12, 2024
Yeah, I wouldn't expect them to force you under these circumstances.

But I would be careful of arguing against "usefulness". If the doctor tells you they think a medication would be helpful to treat your symptoms, and you argue against that, what you'd likely be doing is arguing against science. This much, I'd advise against, unless you can cite research/studies that support what you're saying.

It should be fair enough to say you'd rather not do any medication because of (whatever your reasons are). Maybe it's fair enough to say you don't have to give a reason at all, I don't know. But I'd lean away from arguing against anything that's supported by science.
Lmao, psychiatrists don't even know how psych meds work. A good psychiatrist will admit that. It is not arguing against science to not want to take medication for a disorder for which there is no FDA-approved medication for. I worked in the behavioral healthcare field for almost a decade.

Reactions: pinkblur and sadandlonely99
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
Lmao, psychiatrists don't even know how psych meds work. A good psychiatrist will admit that. It is not arguing against science to not want to take medication for a disorder for which there is no FDA-approved medication for.
"Science" alluding to "empirical evidence" -- decisions supported by research, studies, trials, data, peer review, etc.

If you are going to argue against this, then yes, you'd best be armed with some well-founded research and knowledge of your own.

Offering baseless arguments against it is certainly your prerogative, but it's just going to get you a reputation as an annoying, difficult patient.

It's perfectly fair to tell them that you feel the risks outweigh the potential benefits, and leave at that. You maintain your medical reputation as a rational patient, and you get your way.

Reactions: pinkblur
Wolf Girl

Wolf Girl

Jun 12, 2024
"Science" alluding to "empirical evidence" -- decisions supported by research, studies, trials, data, peer review, etc.

If you are going to argue against this, then yes, you'd best be armed with some well-founded research and knowledge of your own.

Offering baseless arguments against it is certainly your prerogative, but it's just going to get you a reputation as an annoying, difficult patient.

It's perfectly fair to tell them that you feel the risks outweigh the potential benefits, and leave at that. You maintain your medical reputation as a rational patient, and you get your way.
I worked in the field for almost a decade. Nobody cares if the borderline doesn't want meds as long as they're calm and articulate about the fact that meds haven't helped stabilize them in the past.

Last edited:
F

F@#$

Freedom seeker
Nov 8, 2023
You're probably going to regret it.

Reactions: nihilistic_dragon
uniqueusername4

uniqueusername4

died a long time ago
Aug 13, 2023
Look into if your voluntary stay can turn involuntary. I was recently in involuntary and several of the people there started out voluntary and then were switched over to involuntary after eval because the doc decided they needed treatment even though the patient wanted to leave.

Also not sure about the "forcing" medications, but they will definitely look into you refusing medications as being non cooperative and that could extend your stay.

I'd say a safer bet would be to try and get into intensive outpatient therapy so you're free to come and go but you're still getting help with your mental state. You sound like someone who would get help on their own and I feel like the only value that could possibly come out of a psych hold is encouraging someone who doesn't want help to get it.
Look into if your voluntary stay can turn involuntary. I was recently in involuntary and several of the people there started out voluntary and then were switched over to involuntary after eval because the doc decided they needed treatment even though the patient wanted to leave.

Also not sure about the "forcing" medications, but they will definitely look into you refusing medications as being non cooperative and that could extend your stay.

I'd say a safer bet would be to try and get into intensive outpatient therapy so you're free to come and go but you're still getting help with your mental state. You sound like someone who would get help on their own and I feel like the only value that could possibly come out of a psych hold is encouraging someone who doesn't want help to get it.
They also were trying to put me on medications I wasn't on. They tried putting me on lexapro and would give me ativan multiple times a day. I don't take either of those. They wouldn't give me the atomoxetine that I usually take which is an SNRI so I had withdrawals and it was weird.

Reactions: lachrymost
W

wren-briar

Jul 1, 2024
living with borderline is really starting to weigh down on me. i don't know how much longer i can endure living life like this.

i really want to CTB but i can't yet, not for a long time. i feel i'm running out of options to make my prolonged stay more bearable, as such, i am considering checking myself in to the psyche ward.

i will not be sharing any information about this site or any CTB methods i have available to me.

assuming they even accept me in, what would i expect from a voluntary check in? i've been in the wards involuntarily but it's been so long.

i don't have any issues with substances, and i prefer to not be put on any medication. would there be any point during my stay where they would try and force me to take medication?

I strongly encourage you to look into "Peer Respite" centers before making the decision to be locked in a psych ward.