• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

Status
Not open for further replies.
I

Ineedthis

-
Jul 28, 2023
I've seriously considered deleting my SS account for a few reasons, which I'm hoping I'm completely wrong about. 1.) This account t is pretty easily track able to me since it's on an email with my name in it, and I've said some incriminating shit on here, like asking about drug vendors in NY (which I'm still looking for btw, feel free to hit me up), and talking about being suicidal, which could land me in a ward. I'm worried this could bite me in the ass in the future. 2.) If I ever need to find a new job, this account might be found because it's linked to my email, which could screw me over. I really like being on here and don't wanna leave so I'm hoping I can get some answers

• Aww..
Reactions: leavingthesoultrap
nozomu

nozomu

Global Mod // will i wiN my recovery arc
Nov 28, 2022
I've seriously considered deleting my SS account for a few reasons, which I'm hoping I'm completely wrong about. 1.) This account t is pretty easily track able to me since it's on an email with my name in it, and I've said some incriminating shit on here, like asking about drug vendors in NY (which I'm still looking for btw, feel free to hit me up), and talking about being suicidal, which could land me in a ward. I'm worried this could bite me in the ass in the future. 2.) If I ever need to find a new job, this account might be found because it's linked to my email, which could screw me over. I really like being on here and don't wanna leave so I'm hoping I can get some answers
Moderators can delete select posts and also you can change your email.

Reactions: 0000000000000
EvisceratedJester

EvisceratedJester

|| What Else Could I Be But a Jester ||
Oct 21, 2023
Why didn't you create a separate email for your account before signing up?

Reactions: ctvunny, Sluggish_Slump, Goku Black and 1 other person
Abyssal

Abyssal

Kill me
Nov 26, 2023
I plan on dying before any of that happens, if your the same I don't see why you should worry

@siniy_cat

@siniy_cat

Nov 19, 2023
2.) If I ever need to find a new job, this account might be found because it's linked to my email, which could screw me over.
Wait.. I might be misunderstanding something, but you can't just google an email and find websites which are linked to it right? Why would there be any risk involved with using your real email address?

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
Wait.. I might be misunderstanding something, but you can't just google an email and find websites which are linked to it right? Why would there be any risk involved with using your real email address?
You can't search for an email address and get all the websites that are liked to it, but it can still be traced with other methods.

For example, imagine I know your real email and I'm trying to figure out stuff about you. I can request a password reset from the login page on this site. If your email is not in the database, the password reset will fail and tell me that the address is not registered. If it is, the request will be successful. Even if I don't have access to your email account, now I know that you have an account on this site.

It's always a good idea to keep things separate and not mix your real world identity with online stuff if it's not strictly necessary.

• Informative
Reactions: ctvunny, 0000000000000, Twntysix and 2 others
T

the old man

Dec 23, 2023
Even if it was at all possible to Google an email address, ( which it isn't) then there is passwords e.t.c to protect it, if as you say you really like being on here and don't want to leave then stick with it, why leave if it helps you in any way , your not doing anything wrong or illegal by being here. 😇

@siniy_cat

@siniy_cat

Nov 19, 2023
For example, imagine I know your real email and I'm trying to figure out stuff about you. I can request a password reset from the login page on this site. If your email is not in the database, the password reset will fail and tell me that the address is not registered. If it is, the request will be successful. Even if I don't have access to your email account, now I know that you have an account on this site.
I guess that is a reasonable concern, but they would have to suspect me having an account here first for that to be an issue.
I was a bit worried for a moment haha thanks for clearing this up 😅

TransilvanianHunger

TransilvanianHunger

Grave with a view...
Jan 22, 2023
I guess that is a reasonable concern, but they would have to suspect me having an account here first for that to be an issue.
I was a bit worried for a moment haha thanks for clearing this up 😅
Yeah, it's probably an unlikely scenario, but it's there.

Another possibility, much more common, would be that this site is breached and the attacker gets their hands on user information. In these situations, it's not unusual for the attacker to try what is known as a "credential stuffing" attack on other services—basically, trying to use login info they get from here to access other sites or services. This tends to work because people often use the same email address or username and password combination on multiple sites. If the password for your account here is the same as, say, your email account's password, that's an easy way in. Passwords are usually stored securely using hashes (complex mathematical functions that obscure the real password, basically), but if your password is not secure (names, common words, etc.), then it's easy to get the password from a list of known hashes from other breaches.

The conclusion remains the same—keeping things separate is a good idea.

Reactions: @siniy_cat
U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
You are talking about being found out, your future jobs etc.

I would say being on SS is not even the place for you. We are a suicide forum.

F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
You are talking about being found out, your future jobs etc.

I would say being on SS is not even the place for you. We are a suicide forum.

We're not all ready to commit though. For whatever reason, some of us may be stuck living for years to come. Looks like you've been on the site a couple of years yourself. Some of us aren't financially supported and need to find jobs- sadly.

I can understand the job worry. When the police did my welfare check, they said it would go on my file but employers wouldn't be able to see it. I'm glad they reassured me of that. To be honest, I didn't even think of that to begin with! It is kind of scary thinking about what would happen if employers found out. This world is very anti-sucide. Besides the practicalities of losing a member of staff suddenly, I doubt they really want that kind of attitude around either! Most of us will have to fake it to make it in a job.

But in terms of the site, I'd imagine it more likely if you were very antagonistic or outspoken or extremist- in which case, I imagine it's more likely tech savy pro-lifers who try to 'out' people rather than employers. I doubt they have the time/ resources to dig that deeply.

U

UKscotty

Doesn't read PMs
May 20, 2021
I just meant a suicide forum is probably not the healthiest place to be for someone who thinking about their future and has long term plans.

I don't have long term plans and for me being found out or 'caught' would be a good thing, it would help break some of the SI.

Reactions: BBBB and Talvikki
Dot

Dot

Globl mod | Info abt typng styl on prfle.
Sep 26, 2021
You can't search for an email address and get all the websites that are liked to it, but it can still be traced with other methods.

Thre r stes whch cn d/ tht t/ an xtent

Reactions: TransilvanianHunger
Rogue Proxy

Rogue Proxy

Enlightened
Sep 12, 2021
When the police did my welfare check, they said it would go on my file but employers wouldn't be able to see it. I'm glad they reassured me of that.
I suggest double-checking that claim about whether employers can view welfare checks on your record. Just to play it safe. Law enforcement can legally lie about just about anything to get whatever they want. Remember: no matter how charming or amiable "good" cops appear to be, cops are not your friends.

Reactions: Forever Sleep
F

Forever Sleep

Earned it we have...
May 4, 2022
I suggest double-checking that claim about whether employers can view welfare checks on your record. Just to play it safe. Law enforcement can legally lie about just about anything to get whatever they want. Remember: no matter how charming or amiable "good" cops appear to be, cops are not your friends.

Not sure I want to know to be honest! I'm about to look for a job now. If they can see it, I imagine there's nothing I can do to stop that though? I'd just have to be (sort of honest) with the employer I guess. The police accepted my (sort of honest) answer. They let me keep the SN! I said it was for future use in case I develop some debilitating illness. Which is true- I would use it under such circumstances. Probably depends on the job.

P

pole

Global Mod
Sep 18, 2018
you can submit a request by creating a ticket to open a new account and have the current one closed (permanently banned) due to privacy concerns.

Status
Not open for further replies.