Status
Not open for further replies.
D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
It seems when you hear or read about CTB cases psych drugs always seem to be a factor either the person was currently taking them or they abruptly stopped shortly beforehand it seems to be common with these shootings throughout the years. I know many of these meds have side effects that include CTB after committing a mass shooting like what happened at Colembine. It seems like these supposed drugs that are ment to help people seem to worsen their condition and they do something terrible like Sandy Hook,

Does anyone else think these drugs play a bigger role in driving people to do these things (such as driving someone to CTB) If so then why do they keep shoving them down everyone's throat? Your thoughts anyone?

Reactions: breakingbad
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

I'm all about coffee and cigarettes
Jul 24, 2019
I wouldn't equate psychiatric drugs with violence. I'd be more inclined to draw a parallel between psychiatric problems and violence.

I take Risperidone. I've been on various drugs of that nature. I am not a fan, but I go truly nuts if I don't take them.

Reactions: terry_a_davis, Neville1 and autumnal
D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
What about if you abruptly stop taking them? they say that's a big reason why

SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

Jul 24, 2019
What about if you abruptly stop taking them? they say that's a big reason why

Well yeah you can then relapse into mental illness, rather quickly, in my experience

D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
And some of these side effects involve CTB ideation, if anything it could drive someone to prematurely do even if their attention. I've had many experiences where these drugs can make your mind so foggy and confused that you sometimes have no recollection of things that they did. Mental illness is a big factor yes but though my experiences with these drugs I think they're a bigger factor then people think. And the Pharmaceutical companies know this and yet all they care about is getting as many people on these drugs as possible. I was on Ritalin when I was kid for ADD and let me say that crap should be banned because it turns you into practically a Zombie. Because if there's any truth to this I think its crap people should have the free will to CTB not because they're given a cocktail of drugs that completely destroy their free will to make the choice themselves. I'm saying this because these drugs almost drove me to prematurely CTB on several occasions (lithium primarily)

Reactions: jrums
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

Jul 24, 2019
And some of these side effects involve CTB ideation, if anything it could drive someone to prematurely do even if their attention. I've had many experiences where these drugs can make your mind so foggy and confused that you sometimes have no recollection of things that they did. Mental illness is a big factor yes but though my experiences with these drugs I think they're a bigger factor then people think. And the Pharmaceutical companies know this and yet all they care about is getting as many people on these drugs as possible. I was on Ritalin when I was kid for ADD and let me say that crap should be banned because it turns you into practically a Zombie. Because if there's any truth to this I think its crap people should have the free will to CTB not because they're given a cocktail of drugs that completely destroy their free will to make the choice themselves. I'm saying this because these drugs almost drove me to prematurely CTB on several occasions (lithium primarily)

I'm not a fan of antipsychotics, but I'd be a lot worse without them, unfortunately.

In an ideal world there'd be something better, but we haven't come that far yet.

Reactions: terry_a_davis
D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
I'm not a fan of antipsychotics, but I'd be a lot worse without them, unfortunately.

In an ideal world there'd be something better, but we haven't come that far yet.
A good example of a false wonder drug was Thorazine, it was proven to be linked to all kinds of physical and psychological problems that's why it was given the nicknames (liquid straightjacket and chemical lobotomy)

??

SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

Jul 24, 2019
A good example of a false wonder drug was Thorazine, it was proven to be linked to all kinds of physical and psychological problems that's why it was given the nicknames (liquid straightjacket and chemical lobotomy)

Never heard of it

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
I wouldn't equate psychiatric drugs with violence. I'd be more inclined to draw a parallel between psychiatric problems and violence.
[...]

Exactly this.

While the mentally ill aren't any more violent than the general population, and indeed often end up disproportionately being victims of violence rather than perpetrators, significant massacres do seem to be perpetrated more often by the mentally ill than the mentally well. As a person with mental illness, it is highly likely that their history is going to involve either starting psychiatric medication, continuing to take it, or the recent cessation of such medication. But none of the medication events are causative factors in their committing the violence.

There are some medications that have been shown to be correlated with increased suicide or violence risk, but these may well be because the person is initially so profoundly depressed that they cannot commit such acts, and then starting the medication lifts their mood and functioning to the point that they can then do so. But again, medication just makes them 'well' enough to do what they already wanted to. It doesn't cause their motivations.

Reactions: terry_a_davis and SpottedPanda
D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
Exactly this.

While the mentally ill aren't any more violent than the general population, and indeed often end up disproportionately being victims of violence rather than perpetrators, significant massacres do seem to be perpetrated more often by the mentally ill than the mentally well. As a person with mental illness, it is highly likely that their history is going to involve either starting psychiatric medication, continuing to take it, or the recent cessation of such medication. But none of the medication events are causative factors in their committing the violence.

There are some medications that have been shown to be correlated with increased suicide or violence risk, but these may well be because the person is initially so profoundly depressed that they cannot commit such acts, and then starting the medication lifts their mood and functioning to the point that they can then do so. But again, medication just makes them 'well' enough to do what they already wanted to. It doesn't cause their motivations.
All medications just cure symptoms and not the actual condition anyway so it dosen't matter I guess. I actually initially always wanted my CTB to be Cyanide (very fast) that or self immolation (very bad) but its difficult to obtain (the Cyanide) which I always referred too as the cure for life (life being the disease) inhaling the fumes from burning plastic (hydrogen cyanide) I've considered. But yeah I dont trust psych drugs, Lithium most of all I curse that wretched stuff.

Last edited:
D

Darksektori

Experienced
Jun 8, 2020
It dosen't fix what's causing the problem, (the actual disease) only relieves the symptoms
What do you mean by this?
You ever look a bottle of vitamins or supplements in the US it reads "not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease" "not approved by the FDA" that kind of stuff. It's sad considering sometimes the natural route has a better chance of helping you then the pharmaceutical one.

Last edited:
S

Shamana

Warlock
May 31, 2019
Peter Gøetzche says that in a FDA analysis of 100.000 patients antidepressants triple the risk of suicide in people up until the age of 40.

His lecture on antidpressants here is quite good, but on the other hand, I don't want to scare suicidal away from seeking treatment and nurturing hope.

Reactions: Darksektori
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
It dosen't fix what's causing the problem, (the actual disease) only relieves the symptoms

You ever look a bottle of vitamins or supplements in the US it reads "not intended to treat, cure or prevent any disease" "not approved by the FDA" that kind of stuff. It's sad considering sometimes the natural route has a better chance of helping you then the pharmaceutical one.

But that's because vitamins and supplements aren't intended to treat any disease. But prescription medications are.

autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
When in fact that's not the case, that's what they want you to think. Because there's no money to be made in curing diseases, they want people to keep depending on the drugs masking the symptoms as long as possible.

I was worried this might have been where you were going. I'm out.

Tinfoil

Reactions: Yomyom, terry_a_davis and SpottedPanda
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

Jul 24, 2019
So you're making fun of me then? Ok fine whatever

Tin foil hats are what conspiracy theorist wear. You seem to be claiming there's a conspiracy by 'big pharma'.

Trust me, I've been doggedly treatment resistant. Nothing but the good stuff works for psychiatric problems, and even with most of those, they don't truly know WHY they work. I've tried everything.

Reactions: terry_a_davis and autumnal
SpottedPanda

SpottedPanda

Jul 24, 2019
So so all conspiracies are false is that what you're saying

The message is, prove it, scientifically, and unequivocally, and you'll have papers to your name, and be showered with accolades

Reactions: Neville1 and autumnal
autumnal

autumnal

Enlightened
Feb 4, 2020
So so all conspiracies are false is that what you're saying

It's based off my experiences with these drugs I'm not going lie and say they worked just because that's what people want me to sorry if offended anyone geez

There's nothing wrong with telling your own experiences, and saying the drugs didn't work for you. It's the act of generalising that experience into a conspiracy theory involving big pharma that crosses into the realms of paranoia. Nobody here was offended by this, by the way. It simply got some good-natured ribbing with the tinfoil analogy.

I can't express my opinions now ok, so what exactly am I allowed to say?
Also saying that saying Pharmaceutical companies are greedy isn't a conspiracy, saying that Pharmaceutical companies are getting instructions from aliens to engeneer the drugs to turn people into reptiles and take over the world ..."Now that's a tin foil conspiracy"

You are more than welcome to express your opinions, and you had some expressed back at you in response. Please don't try to backpedal now and suggest you only said pharma companies were 'greedy'. Any number of companies could and indeed may be greedy. But what you specifically said was:

autumnal said:
But that's because vitamins and supplements aren't intended to treat any disease. But prescription medications are.
When in fact that's not the case, that's what they want you to think. Because there's no money to be made in curing diseases, they want people to keep depending on the drugs masking the symptoms as long as possible.

Suggesting that prescription medications are not intended to actually treat disease, but rather to just mask the symptoms, and that this limited therapeutic effect and complex deception is intentional on the part of pharma companies so that they can make money, is almost equally as implausible as the alien reptile example.

Reactions: terry_a_davis
GoodPersonEffed

GoodPersonEffed

Brevity is my middle name, but my name was TL
Jan 11, 2020
Reactions: autumnal
Status
Not open for further replies.