Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
I'm submitting this idea for review and broad opinion.

I always believed that one of the downside of this site is that the connections remain too much on the surface and way impersonal, sometimes facing extreme gravity and/or urgency, yet falling short of flat in help or meaning (sorry that I'm one who stands by this stance) or just inapt to address the isolation of some in order to relate deeper with expectation of fresh outcomes

Just like the partners megathread, however without any given orientation except the ability to get it in touch with someone. Each participants could display themselves to be spotted at a nearby area of their actual one (thus keeping a necessary degree of privacy distanciation).
The format would be visual for quick reference.
For that purpose, my suggestion is to build an evoluting Google map showing approximative locations of members volunteering to participate. The informations shared could be "à la carte" (on demand). For example : nearest big town (without revealing the actual if there is no will to, and never any close address), age or sex eventually, and any extra one thought relevant.
There would be no obligation overall and obviously anyone could decide to opt out of it at any given time, on request.

Maybe some will have other tech frameworks to propose than Google Maps that are convenient. I thought about this one because I already managed such project and it appeared suited to handle right away with ease, including rapidly towards new "contributors" wanting to give a hand. Because that's it, the only downside lies about the fact that it cannot be let opened to the public for edition, otherwise trolls and anti-choice opninated persons could interfere, mess it up and just clear it wholly. So there's the need of one or a few trustworthy admins (supposedly existing moderators or fresh specific ones, like long-lasting members praised by others enough prove their confidence) who will serve as information collectors. In other words, the members who want to appear on the map will need to request it towards specific validated persons, handle the various info to be shared, and then the mods will edit the map in private mode. I'm afraid it's the only safe way to proceed. Thus, to ease the task, if the demand is high, mods could also switch turns.

In concrete, the end result in display for consultation could look along those lines

579EFDB2 59D9 4683 BE27 38D82072F8CF

When clicking on a spot, you would access to details

410A7B2E B1B2 4225 92DC 053132ABC86B

Then, liberty between those who want to identify a potential zone buddy to contact via PM and improvise from there. Basically, that's the core (simple) idea.

Guess a few members will put their grain of salt with divergent comments about the suggestion... let's throw yourself into the arena :hihi::ahhha:

As for myself, I'm undecided but open minded. I can definitely see what it'd bring as potential but also dangers. I'm certainly not one who is in favour of restrictions versus fears in general and I prefer the availability of information and education, to free up time about what's really important to discuss / treat, hence why I share as factual info as I can often, because I feel that the priorities lie elsewhere.

Obviously, as a final verdict, the validation of the admins @Marquis @Meretlein is needed

Last edited:
Reactions: Myforevercharlie
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Doesn't seem to federate ? Allrigth, not every pro-active action is bound to convince. :tongue:

Leech

Leech

ɴᴏᴡ'ꜱ ᴛʜᴇ ᴏɴʟy ᴛʜɪɴɢ ᴛʜᴀᴛ'ꜱ ʀᴇᴀʟ
Aug 8, 2020
I feel kinda so so on the idea. There's definitely a reason that this site is impersonal. If everyone kept it vague sure but I'd be afraid for people getting too specific.

Reactions: Ghost2211, death137, mahakaliSS_MahaDurga and 1 other person
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
That could the mods' duty who gather the data to apply filters based on a list agreed pre-defined criterias.

D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
It's an interesting idea, but not one I'd personally subscribe to. The very reason I feel capable of being open about things is because of anonymity. Anything that encroaches on that, even a little, makes me feel uncomfortable with expressing myself honestly.
However, I'm in a position where I'm not comfortable getting too involved with this site any more. When you get close to people and then lose them, I personally find that really hard to take. For me, this site is more impersonal now, but has not been in the past. The past relationships I've had with members have been quite profound experiences that I shall never forget.

• Hugs
  • Love
Reactions: Brick In The Wall, death137, Nymph and 2 others
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
It's an interesting idea, but not one I'd personally subscribe to. The very reason I feel capable of being open about things is because of anonymity. Anything that encroaches on that, even a little, makes me feel uncomfortable with expressing myself honestly.
However, I'm in a position where I'm not comfortable getting too involved with this site any more. When you get close to people and then lose them, I personally find that really hard to take. For me, this site is more impersonal now, but has not been in the past. The past relationships I've had with members have been quite profound experiences that I shall never forget.

I have been meaning to own you 2 answers since some time, so I'm filling the gap

About your first paragraph, I can certainly evaluate your reasons. However, life led me to become exactly the opposite. I'm after utmost transparency, in real life included. I do not relate to the feeling of holding or concealing. Maybe because I've seen the disasters where it leads to since I evolved inside a family where lies and secrets lead to murders. I foresaw the dangers of restraint and opacity. Consequently, I made a conscious choice of flipping my views on this topic. I would repeat everything I do and say everywhere in person and actually ready for a lot more. I have no false modesty and that doesn't scare me to let go. I don't know by which miracle but I also decided to give my full trust to anyone I run into as a basis, consequently, exposing myself. As a result, there can be a few disappointments but in general, I'm not analysing it as a threat to my integrity...

About your second paragraph, almost word for word, I can relate ! :) unfortunately in too many ways. It's nearly impossible to get used to attachement then loses. The reasons can be so varied, it fucking sucks. You've got to grow some thick skin in order to deal with the underlying issue of cycles at this site.
That said, I'm really satisfied about fresh relationships I developed lately, at a time when I was expecting it the least and certainly not anymore. I'm back at interactions which I consider profound and stable. It certainly balances things out... not everything is lost :)

NB: About the map, "we" did it at another site. And it's just a load of work. It takes time, about 30 to 60 seconds for every new addition. Practically, it wouldn't have been suited to a large site like this one. Not sustainable. So, no regrets. The democracy rendered the idea unpopular anyway !

Last edited:
Reactions: Deleted member 1465
Lupgevif

Lupgevif

Jul 23, 2020
What exactly do you expect this to improve? I think it's a valid idea, but I don't think it will bring any positive improvement to the community, we are on the internet, our physical location is literally irrelevant to the connections we create here.

Reactions: Viro_Major
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Thanks for the validation.

I'd prefer you to think of ways how it would improve a given context. I don't want to enforce my vision sorry. I meant it as a suggestion for a purpose.

There are at least 2 obvious objectives pursued at this site, which are split as CTB and recovery, and then within these panels, again members walk their walk in various ways.

I'm in recovery and I've missed to meet members in person before. And it's bound to happen soon for real with others I suppose. I didn't need a map to make it happen, so it might be superfluous.

If at all, it's just a tool that would contribute as an accelerator of opportunities, but it shouldn't come with pitfalls that are insurmountable, which would render it as not worthwhile but counterproductive. The outcome would necessarily be mitigated as grey but it wouldn't be the first time it happens at this site, where many outlines found are blurry compromises. Probably, a list of pros and cons should be listed as a starting point.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lupgevif
Good4Nothing

Good4Nothing

Unlovable
May 8, 2020
I don't think this is the forum for this kind of thing.
There are wolves among the sheep here.
Should we really provide them with a map to potential victims?

Reactions: BPD Barbie and Viro_Major
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
I don't think this is the forum for this kind of thing.
There are wolves among the sheep here.
Should we really provide them with a map to potential victims?

Agreed but it's just another way of organising the same available information and sparse it in a clearer efficient way. At the end of the day, then why not purely and simply close the partners megathread then ? In other words, does it change a threat that already exists ? Aren't you underestimating that the wolves will pass through any obstacle ?

I've got another question to put out in the open.
Yet again, it seems like assuming that participating members would be irresponsible. This is an assumption that disturbs me. No guns would be pointed at members to appear on the map. They would plainly decide for themselves based on their own estimation, like they already do everywhere.

How can people affirm the pro-choice stance but occasionally will suddenly refute the ability of others to take a decision ? It appears ambivalent to me.
Either you estimate that members are mature enough and owners of their own integrity, or you don't. Am I mistaken ? Or is there a two speeds road at parts of the community and not at other parts ? With any level of protection applied already ?

Last edited:
XYZ

XYZ

I just can’t get these damn wrists to bleed
Jul 22, 2020
I see you have put a lot of time and effort in this idea, and even attempted to circumvent privacy issues, but the only answer anyone with some working neurons and a bit of real life experience can give you is No, hell no.

• Hugs
Reactions: Viro_Major and Deleted member 1465
D

Deleted member 1465

_
Jul 31, 2018
but the only answer anyone with some working neurons and a bit of real life experience can give you is No, hell no.
LOL there are so many things I want to reply like that to sometimes :pfff:

• Hugs
Reactions: XYZ and Viro_Major
Viro_Major

Viro_Major

Rad maker
Jul 30, 2020
Precisely, I didn't put many efforts at all but only transposed rapidly. I was counting on you to rule ! :tongue: