T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I'm trying to get into a community college for computer science and I literally have all but one requirement for admission and financial aid, and that is my transcript. I ordered it through an online service, it's been 4 days and the deadline is the 15th and I'm so nervous about it not being delivered in time. If it does, I'm also nervous as I feel totally and completely unprepared for college (I don't have a laptop, and I don't know what school supplies I'll even need) and I don't know if there's an orientation for students starting in the summer, there may be but I have no clue.

I even find myself worrying about if the FAFSA will cover everything and if not what will I have to pay. I'm trying not to be too nervous as this can lead to an excellent career and an experience of a lifetime, and hopefully lifelong friendships.

I also have the hope of finding love again. There are positives that I try to keep in mind to push out the negatives but it's hard at times. Did/does anyone else here struggle with this as well?

I'm so nervous and scared about all of this, although I'm sure it'll be alright and I'll do okay, just fear and anxiety getting the better of me currently.

This may also stem from dreams I'm having about my ex, the stress causes dreams about my ex, which causes me more distress, and I cried myself to sleep last night remembering a trip we went on together, I'm tearing up thinking about it now. I haven't had dreams about her in ages and I hope they don't persist for long but recently it's been a nightly thing. I'm not even consciously thinking about her before I go to sleep.

I don't know, I suppose I just needed to vent. Can anyone relate to anything I've said here, or just chime in with some positive affirmations lol. I hope everyone here has a good day, and a happy Easter tomorrow.

• Hugs
Reactions: thirdrailer and western_heart
thirdrailer

thirdrailer

Oct 24, 2020
Yes, I can relate to some of this. I hope everything works out. You may find the admissions office might accommodate a late transcript if you call and let them know you tried to meet the deadline. YMMV.

As for preparedness for college, you write well, you express your thoughts clearly, and you want to succeed. I was a resident assistant as an undergrad and then was a professional college tutor and managed college students professionally. I think you'll be fine :)

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Yes, I can relate to some of this. I hope everything works out. You may find the admissions office might accommodate a late transcript if you call and let them know you tried to meet the deadline. YMMV.

As for preparedness for college, you write well, you express your thoughts clearly, and you want to succeed. I was a resident assistant as an undergrad and then was a professional college tutor and managed college students professionally. I think you'll be fine :)
I've emailed the admissions front desk already, and I CCed the other two admissions department emails, and I'm hoping to hear back from them on Monday. Hopefully they'll accommodate me, if it's late. If it is late, it won't be super late, I imagine.

Thank you, I hope I will do alright, as I am aware this will be a difficult path as I'm choosing a difficult major. With that in mind, I know I will have to work hard to achieve my goals.

Hopefully in the 4 years it'll take me to get a bachelors, the tech job market has improved, it's in a bad place currently, with an over saturation in the entry level so finding a first job may be a difficult task as well.

C

CompanyOpossum

Apr 3, 2023
If you don't get your transcript in time you can always self study till you get the resources. I can send you resources to help you self study if you want.

thirdrailer

thirdrailer

Oct 24, 2020
Computers are very literal and very unintelligent. They seem smart because they're very very fast. Imagine teaching a robot to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you say "put the peanut butter on the bread," you will get a jar on a loaf of bread. If you say "spread the peanut butter" without saying "remove some peanut butter from the jar" first, you'll end up with glass in your sandwich. At the 101 level, each program is like a wooden children's toy you're building on the fly and instructing the toddler on how to use at the same time. And more sophisticated coding is just lots of
those put together.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Computers are very literal and very unintelligent. They seem smart because they're very very fast. Imagine teaching a robot to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich. If you say "put the peanut butter on the bread," you will get a jar on a loaf of bread. If you say "spread the peanut butter" without saying "remove some peanut butter from the jar" first, you'll end up with glass in your sandwich. At the 101 level, each program is like a wooden children's toy you're building on the fly and instructing the toddler on how to use at the same time. And more sophisticated coding is just lots of
those put together.
I'm less worried about the computer classes as much as the other classes like calculus, linear algebra, and natural science courses. Now I don't think the computer science will be easy either but I feel like most of it will simplify after learning the basics.
If you don't get your transcript in time you can always self study till you get the resources. I can send you resources to help you self study if you want.
That's what I was thinking of doing. I think the main language we'll be learning is C++ so I suppose reading up on that would help, but I have no clue where to even begin lol.

C

CompanyOpossum

Apr 3, 2023
That's what I was thinking of doing. I think the main language we'll be learning is C++ so I suppose reading up on that would help, but I have no clue where to even begin lol.
I was more thinking of gen ed requirements like math. Those things are so much easier to self study. With the other classes you probably want to wait. Afterall, you've had a lifetime of math education as a foundation for self-study, but you don't have a lifetime of programming skills.

What level of math are you at? Also, how good are your writing skills?

Last edited:
T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I was more thinking of gen ed requirements like math. Those things are so much easier to self study. With the other classes you probably want to wait. Afterall, you've had a lifetime of math education as a foundation for self-study, but you don't have a lifetime of programming skills.

What level of math are you at? Also, how good are your writing skills?
I've only taken the basic high school classes, Algebra I and Algebra II, Statistics, and Geometry, but not much beyond that. I don't know how good my writing skills would be considered. I think they're alright.

C

CompanyOpossum

Apr 3, 2023
I've only taken the basic high school classes, Algebra I and Algebra II, Statistics, and Geometry, but not much beyond that. I don't know how good my writing skills would be considered. I think they're alright.
Look up professor Leonard for help with math. He has playlists for different math courses. Look up which textbook he uses here http://sites.google.com/site/professorleonard57. Follow along reading the textbook and doing the back of the chapter problems as if you were in an actual class.

Khan academy is also good for finding practice problems.

Try to learn as much as you can from reading textbooks. It's hard, but the more you do it the easier it gets.

Find out if your school has tutoring. It is very helpful. Especially if you find a good one.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Look up professor Leonard for help with math. He has playlists for different math courses. Look up which textbook he uses here http://sites.google.com/site/professorleonard57. Follow along reading the textbook and doing the back of the chapter problems as if you were in an actual class.

Khan academy is also good for finding practice problems.

Try to learn as much as you can from reading textbooks. It's hard, but the more you do it the easier it gets.

Find out if your school has tutoring. It is very helpful. Especially if you find a good one.
Alright thanks for the help! Also, the school does have free tutoring, both online, and on-campus. I seriously appreciate the recommendations you have given me.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
Alright thanks for the help! Also, the school does have free tutoring, both online, and on-campus. I seriously appreciate the recommendations you have given me.
Make sure you have a very solid understanding of algebra. All the higher math is founded on it and a lot of peoples problems stem from not having a sound foundation in algebra.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Make sure you have a very solid understanding of algebra. All the higher math is founded on it and a lot of peoples problems stem from not having a sound foundation in algebra.
I think I have a pretty solid algebra understanding, I've been brushing up on old formulas to remind myself about it and I generally understand it. My biggest issue will likely lie in my lack of knowledge in trigonometry, we learned it in school but I barely remember any of it and I struggle understanding it.

LaVieEnRose

LaVieEnRose

Angelic
Jul 23, 2022
I think I have a pretty solid algebra understanding, I've been brushing up on old formulas to remind myself about it and I generally understand it. My biggest issue will likely lie in my lack of knowledge in trigonometry, we learned it in school but I barely remember any of it and I struggle understanding it.
I think it will be okay. You'll find it to be easier than you remember.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
I think it will be okay. You'll find it to be easier than you remember.
Thanks, I have hopes that I will. I imagine the professor will touch on everything that going into calculus briefly in the first lecture before going into full-on calculus.

T

ThatStateOfMind

Enlightened
Nov 13, 2021
Hey guys, just an update on the transcript, they got back to me and said it isn't in their online inbox, asked for my tracking number, and called the school to see if they can get this sorted out, and that they'll update me when they can. Hopefully this will get sorted before the 15th, college is the only thing that I feel is a viable long term solution to keep my mind off of a failed relationship and CTB