KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Enlightened
Apr 15, 2024
After analysing 70 studies conducted between 1977 and 2014, researchers Tom Johnsen and Oddgeir Friborg concluded that CBT is roughly half as effective in treating depression as it used to be.

The early publicity around CBT made it seem a miracle cure, so maybe it functioned like one for a while. Our expectations have become more realistic, so effectiveness has fallen, too. Johnsen and Friborg worry that their own paper will make matters worse by further lowering people's expectations.

It's just placebo. Save yourself the time, effort and money and take a walk, convincing yourself that walking cures your mental pain and then it does cure your mental pain, lol.

• Informative
Reactions: Forever Sleep, foreverfalling, kunikuzushi and 7 others
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Oh look, more than one study exists on the subject...

"Research on CBT has evolved over time. The quality of studies has improved, which can be seen from the increasing number of trials with low risk of bias, the decrease in the use of waitlist control groups, and the increase in sample sizes of included studies. The number of treatment sessions has significantly decreased over the years. In a meta‐regression analysis, we could not confirm that the effect size of CBT has decreased over time, as was suggested in an earlier study 37 .

The findings of this study should be considered in the light of some limitations. First, heterogeneity was high in many analyses, and subgroup and meta‐regression analyses could not identify all sources of this heterogeneity, suggesting that there are differences between trials that cannot be explained by the extracted characteristics. Second, risk of bias was high in many of the included trials, and the effect sizes of the trials with low risk of bias were significantly lower in some of the analyses. Fortunately, the number of studies was so large that we could examine outcomes in subsets of trials with low risk of bias. Finally, we found indications of publication bias in many analyses, although several findings remained robust after correcting for this bias.

We can conclude that CBT is effective in the treatment of depression with a moderate to large effect size, and that its effect is still significant up to 12 months. The superiority of CBT over other psychotherapies does not emerge clearly from this meta‐analysis. CBT appears to be as effective as pharmacotherapies at the short term, but more effective at the longer term. Combined treatment appears to be superior to pharmacotherapy alone but not to CBT alone. The efficacy of CBT in depression is documented across different delivery formats, ages, target groups, and settings."

• Informative
Reactions: Alexei_Kirillov, -Link- and KillingPain267
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Enlightened
Apr 15, 2024
Oh look, more than one study exists on the subject...

"Research on CBT has evolved over time. The quality of studies has improved, which can be seen from the increasing number of trials with low risk of bias, the decrease in the use of waitlist control groups, and the increase in sample sizes of included studies. The number of treatment sessions has significantly decreased over the years. In a meta‐regression analysis, we could not confirm that the effect size of CBT has decreased over time, as was suggested in an earlier study 37 .

The findings of this study should be considered in the light of some limitations. First, heterogeneity was high in many analyses, and subgroup and meta‐regression analyses could not identify all sources of this heterogeneity, suggesting that there are differences between trials that cannot be explained by the extracted characteristics. Second, risk of bias was high in many of the included trials, and the effect sizes of the trials with low risk of bias were significantly lower in some of the analyses. Fortunately, the number of studies was so large that we could examine outcomes in subsets of trials with low risk of bias. Finally, we found indications of publication bias in many analyses, although several findings remained robust after correcting for this bias.

We can conclude that CBT is effective in the treatment of depression with a moderate to large effect size, and that its effect is still significant up to 12 months. The superiority of CBT over other psychotherapies does not emerge clearly from this meta‐analysis. CBT appears to be as effective as pharmacotherapies at the short term, but more effective at the longer term. Combined treatment appears to be superior to pharmacotherapy alone but not to CBT alone. The efficacy of CBT in depression is documented across different delivery formats, ages, target groups, and settings."

What's even more effective than CBT is CTB, which has been found to be a permanent total cure for depression beyond 12 months 😆😅

• Love
Reactions: enduringwinter, foreverfalling, kunikuzushi and 5 others
Lost Magic

Lost Magic

Illuminated
May 5, 2020
It never worked for me either. I was told to go take walks as well. Now, I seldom go out and when I do I jump on my e-bike lol
But, seriously, some of them get paid ludicrous amounts of money just to state the obvious to people. It's insulting. I just take the bloody prozac and tell them to sod off with their gym memberships. I workout at home as I fucking can't stand the majority of people out there, all fake as fuck. They made me more anti-social with all their BS.
Take that you wankers!
Behind The Scenes Kick GIF by Taylor Swift

Sorry, I'm a bit manic tonight lol

Last edited:
  • Love
  • Yay!
Reactions: ijustwishtodie, LifeQuitter, wren-briar and 3 others
-Link-

-Link-

Deep Breaths
Aug 25, 2018
What's even more effective than CBT is CTB, which has been found to be a permanent total cure for depression beyond 12 months 😆😅
This was good for an lol... Thank you... I needed one of those.

Also, I'm not quite sure what "old codswallop" is... Somehow, I'm hoping I never find out.

• Yay!
Reactions: wren-briar and KillingPain267
Reflection

Reflection

Lost
Sep 12, 2024
Anything that aims to make the patient find ways to live with the pain rather than kill the root of the issue will inevitably fail once said patient realizes its limitations and actual goals, after that it's up to them to decide whether they accept that type of "treatment" or not.

• Love
Reactions: enduringwinter, ijustwishtodie, wren-briar and 3 others
BoulderSoWhat

BoulderSoWhat

Student
Aug 29, 2024
Of course, maybe everything is fake and we can't trust anything ever because humans are too lazy 😑

• Informative
Reactions: wren-briar and KillingPain267
KillingPain267

KillingPain267

Enlightened
Apr 15, 2024
Of course, maybe everything is fake and we can't trust anything ever because humans are too lazy 😑

Oh, that's interesting stuff. There is also the whole replication crisis in science (especially sociology and psychology). Some say pretty much ALL psychological studies cannot be replicated and psychology is at square one in what we can know for sure. But fake AI research papers is a whole new monster!

Reactions: ijustwishtodie, wren-briar, Alexei_Kirillov and 2 others
mango-meridian

mango-meridian

Apr 5, 2024
Title of this thread is amazing. As an Americano "load of Codswallop" will be in my back pocket.

• Yay!
Reactions: KillingPain267, wren-briar and Lost Magic
Dr Iron Arc

Dr Iron Arc

Into the Unknown
Feb 10, 2020
Therapy is just a temporary solution to a permanent problem. 🙄

• Yay!
Reactions: Forever Sleep, ebg, enduringwinter and 5 others
Alexei_Kirillov

Alexei_Kirillov

Missed my appointment with Death
Mar 9, 2024
The early publicity around CBT made it seem a miracle cure, so maybe it functioned like one for a while.
Probably a big part of this is the fact that they've been pushing equating mental illness with physical illness, and the idea of a "cure" for a physical illness makes a lot more sense and is a lot more straightforward. Let's say you have an iron deficiency empirically detectable with technical tests. Then you're given iron supplements. You take the supplements. Now the technical tests show that you are cured of your disease.

It's a huge simplification, of course, but for NO so-called "mental illness" can you follow a procedure like this. You can't define an empirically valid, evidence-based solution to a problem that can't even be defined.

• Informative
Reactions: KillingPain267, Dr Iron Arc, ijustwishtodie and 1 other person
ijustwishtodie

ijustwishtodie

death will be my ultimate bliss
Oct 29, 2023
CBT doesn't work for some people because their thoughts are realistic and not distortions. However, since this society is so pro life, they'll attribute realistic notions of reality as being a distortion when it really isn't. Talking about how there's so much suffering on earth as well as how cruel it is to be forced to be a wage slave is considered as a distortion to them yet wanting to be exploited as a wage slave is fine to them. It's actually absurd. The thing is that saying that "life is full of suffering" isn't my opinion or anybody's opinion, it's an empirical fact that can be proved by observing your surroundings. For those who acknowledge reality for what it is, CBT is useless

Reactions: enduringwinter, foreverfalling, kunikuzushi and 4 others