• Hey Guest,

If you would still like to donate, you still can. We have more than enough funds to cover operating expenses for quite a while, so don't worry about donating if you aren't able. If you want to donate something other than what is listed, you can contact RainAndSadness.

Bitcoin Address (BTC): 39deg9i6Zp1GdrwyKkqZU6rAbsEspvLBJt

Ethereum (ETH): 0xd799aF8E2e5cEd14cdb344e6D6A9f18011B79BE9

Monero (XMR): 49tuJbzxwVPUhhDjzz6H222Kh8baKe6rDEsXgE617DVSDD8UKNaXvKNU8dEVRTAFH9Av8gKkn4jDzVGF25snJgNfUfKKNC8

TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Hello thought i'd take the time to post my method and discuss it's viability given the equipment i'm planning on getting together.

Equipment:
- Large Tarpaulin
- Urban Escape 4 Person Quick Up Dome Tent
- 2kg of barbequick (one per bucket)
- 2 x fireproof steel buckets
- Some bricks to prevent the bottom of the tent burning.

The basic premise is to follow the suggestions on here and 8Chan, use a chimney fire starter allow it to burn for around 30 / 40 minutes until the coals turn to warm embers with a layer of ash without flames. Taking care to light it from the bottom with newspaper to ensure the coals are burning evenly. Then transfer the contents into a bucket that will be seated on two layers of bricks to prevent the bottom of the tent from burning.

Here's where the specifics come into play. I plan to setup the tent so that I have 2 buckets prepared, one initial bucket will be placed in the sleeping quarters of the tent and left to burn in the sealed tent for around an hour to build up CO. There after have a second bucket prepared following the single burner method and switch it out in the sleeping quarters. I plan to create a tighter seal as possible inside the tent with masking tape then around the outside of the entire tent by covering it with Tarpaulin pegged down tight and tapped around the edges to further help prevent any leakage.

In the diagram I've shown where I will place the bucket and where i intend to sleep.

Untitled 1

I have some Valium not sure how much I should take? I plan drink a reasonable amount probably a small bottle of whiskey to help me get off to sleep once inside the tent.

This is the tent that meets the recommended 3000mm hh both layers are made from the same material.

What are peoples thoughts?

Is it a waste of time to use two buckets and switch them out, given that i'm likely to let in a reasonable amount of air when making the switch. I would do it in stages coming in and out using the tarp to keep air in and then opening the door once I've sealed back up the tarp vise versa.

Reactions: Ampsvx123, Deafsn0w, weedoge and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Seems a bit overkill, also does the tent have just a single skin or you going to attempt to manually seal it all the way around the flysheet? As you may know people have succeeded seemingly easily with just a pop up waterproof tent and bucket + coals + chimney starter. It's up to you if you want to try this but imagine the anxiety can get the better of you and the more complex your setup the higher chance of being overwhelmed by it. Best of luck.

Edit: Your tent has a double skin so, I may be wrong but, seems like it might be an ordeal to try and seal that thing up.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Lifeisatrap and RaphtaliaTwoAnimals
Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
Royal oak brand charcoal is suggested on 8chan I tried with cheap matchlight brand and it didn't work in a car with 10 lbs of coals.

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Made4TV, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and 1 other person
TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Seems a bit overkill, also does the tent have just a single skin or you going to attempt to manually seal it all the way around the flysheet? As you may know people have succeeded seemingly easily with just a pop up waterproof tent and bucket + coals + chimney starter. It's up to you if you want to try this but imagine the anxiety can get the better of you and the more complex your setup the higher chance of being overwhelmed by it. Best of luck.

Edit: Your tent has a double skin so, I may be wrong but, seems like it might be an ordeal to try and seal that thing up.

In a bit of a conundrum over what type of tent is suitable this site says that "Single skin tents are made of a single layer of waterproof fabric that is usually also breathable to help with ventilation." I'll have to do some test runs to see if it's too much hassle switching out multiple buckets then.

TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Royal oak brand charcoal is suggested on 8chan I tried with cheap matchlight brand and it didn't work in a car with 10 lbs of coals.
That's not very encouraging seeing as you used 4x the recommended amount of coal.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
That's not very encouraging seeing as you used 4x the recommended amount of coal.
More likely to be a leakage problem. ALL charcoal has an extremely high carbon content, the issue isn't in the charcoal rather than the execution (no pun intended..)

Reactions: Deafsn0w, Lifeisatrap, Made4TV and 1 other person
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
In a bit of a conundrum over what type of tent is suitable this site says that "Single skin tents are made of a single layer of waterproof fabric that is usually also breathable to help with ventilation." I'll have to do some test runs to see if it's too much hassle switching out multiple buckets then.
Just my concern is that if you don't use a tent with a single skin, then the top half of the bedroom section isn't actually water or gas proof, there is a very large area where the CO can escape. Whereas a single skin with taped seams will be much less well ventilated.

TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Just my concern is that if you don't use a tent with a single skin, then the top half of the bedroom section isn't actually water or gas proof, there is a very large area where the CO can escape. Whereas a single skin with taped seams will be much less well ventilated.
I see It seems that the only way to know for sure is to get a decent co meter that you can dump data from to test if it retains a lethal amount long enough to be effective. Do you think covering the tent in tarpaulin could mean that you have too tight of a seal and end up leaving early because your suffocating?

Last edited:
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
I see It seems that the only way to know for sure is to get a decent co meter that you can dump data from to test if it retains a lethal amount long enough to be effective. Covering the tent in tarpaulin could also mean that you have too tight of a seal and end up leaving early because your suffocating.
Somehow doubt you'd suffocate with too tight a seal because CO would be produced faster than carbon dioxide from breathing right? CO meter is a good idea if you're set on using your specific setup.

TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Somehow doubt you'd suffocate with too tight a seal because CO would be produced faster than carbon dioxide from breathing right? CO meter is a good idea if you're set on using your specific setup.

I guess given it's ideal conditions you might need up to a couple of hours of comfortable breathing. Probably another factor i'm going to have to consider can i breathe comfortably for a few hours inside if using a fly sheet.

It's the specific tent i'm stuck on, anything with a high HH is double skinned where does that even come from is it just people presupposing less water in the better seal you get?

Reactions: Deafsn0w, RaphtaliaTwoAnimals and Lifeisatrap
weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
Why a couple of hours? In that much time you risk the coals reducing the CO being produced if you're not already dead... You know even without starting at 10000ppm I think you're looking at death in less than 1 hour given everything is done properly.

TentRetreat

TentRetreat

Nov 11, 2018
Why a couple of hours? In that much time you risk the coals reducing the CO being produced if you're not already dead... You know even without starting at 10000ppm I think you're looking at death in less than 1 hour given everything is done properly.

Just that it can take 2 hours at 1600ppm, I would hope so having the data once setup will put me at ease.

Justanotherconsumer

Justanotherconsumer

Paragon
Jul 9, 2018
More likely to be a leakage problem. ALL charcoal has an extremely high carbon content, the issue isn't in the charcoal rather than the execution (no pun intended..)

That's very likely older cars frquently have degraded weather stripping, new cars are often hard to breathe in as they are air tight. Matchlight brand charcoal does burn out very quickly though there has been times I've used it to cook hamburgers and barely get it done until it's just Ash.

weedoge

weedoge

Banned
Jul 12, 2018
That's very likely older cars frquently have degraded weather stripping, new cars are often hard to breathe in as they are air tight. Matchlight brand charcoal does burn out very quickly though there has been times I've used it to cook hamburgers and barely get it done until it's just Ash.
Yeah understand that but with such a quantity of the stuff I get the feeling it's still something to do with ventilation.