G

Gavalar

Apr 11, 2019
Okay, here's what I have.

5kg lump charcoal.
Terracotta pot.
Foil for bottom of pot to hold charcoal.
Paper to burn.
Lighter.

Is there anything else in need.

Ill be doing this in an Audi a3 so smallish car.

I only have a small window. Need to do this tonight.

J

jakethesnake

Apr 20, 2023
In a terracotta pot, there it's harder to get airflow which will mean that the charcoal wont burn evenly.

so It's better to use a chimney starter.
then its best to dump the charcoal after 1 hour in the chimney starter into a steel bucket.

The steel bucket will get hot as hell, so it's best put the steel bucket into a second steel bucket that has water on the bottom of it. That or use some bricks to put the steel bucket on, so it doesn't burn through the floor of your Audi a3.

I know your pain, but I recommend taking some time to do more research on the mega thread.

Best wishes

G

Gavalar

Apr 11, 2019
Okay, water I can sort.

Why would I need 2 steel buckets?

Bricks I also have so that's no problem either.

Rumi

Rumi

Experienced
Mar 29, 2023
Okay, water I can sort.

Why would I need 2 steel buckets?

Bricks I also have so that's no problem either.
To reduce the downard heat from the coals.

It doesn't have to be a bucket per se, it can just be a steel tray with one inch of water in it.

Also, I don't think you need that much charcoal. An experienced user recommends using 135g/m3.

If I'm not mistaken, your car would have to roughly 40 cubic meters to justify using that much.

The reason I say this, is that if you're trying to CTB urgently, there's no need to waste time heating up 5kg coal.

This method requires preparation to be successful. I think you need to take some time like jakethesnake says.

Last edited:
G

Gavalar

Apr 11, 2019
So I've found a metal bucket thats a wine cooler.

Ive got X4, 1.25 kg bags of charcoal that just need burning, so could just pop one of those in the bucket right?

I've also got a tagine pot that I can pop water in and place the bucket in to keep cool. Worst case I have also popped 2 bricks in the car to hoist on there.

I know I need to burn the coals first until they are ash grey, then place in the car and let the co2 build up. Surely there's nothing else?

Just covering the vents right?
I've got everything in the car ready for tonight. I feel exhilarated, yet calm.

I don't feel down about it at all.

Last edited: