martha

martha

Experienced
Mar 14, 2019
Hello everone, this is just the second thread I opened, since I joined the place, so please be merciful for idiotic syncrasy.
I do not want to flood the place with unnecessary questions (irony!!!)

There is some myths about suicide, like the club 27, the Werther effect or Aokigahara Forest, that I´d love to be discussed.
It came into my mind when I read
https://www.thesun.co.uk/living/272...n-bridgend-23-men-committed-suicide-one-year/
by @marcusuk63. Thanks to you for posting this interesting topic.

The first member of the club 27 as far as I know was the Austrian author Georg Trakl, who died in 1887 , so I can´t bring it down to just a 20th century rockmusic heroinchic phenomene.
What do you think?
Is it more than just the lemming-imitation effect?
Is it the special sort of mental state and depression that you reach with the age of 27?
Is it a weird way of contributing respect to music collegues?
Is it spooky landscapes?
(Bridgend and Aokigahara are placed in a wonderful landscape, why dot hey inspire suicidals?)

I am very keen on getting to know your opinion.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, Manaaja, Soul and 1 other person
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
I think most popular-music figures die over age 50 just like everyone else, but when one dies at 27 we notice it because of this "club". It may be that some people have started treating 27 as a sort of deadline (pun not my fault!). I wondered about that when Amy Winehouse died just before her 28th birthday.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap
martha

martha

Experienced
Mar 14, 2019
I wondered about that when Amy Winehouse died just before her 28th birthday.

I her music and that of so many club 27 members, too.
Might be my suicidal impact.

I think most popular-music figures die over age 50 just like everyone else, but when one dies at 27 we notice it because of this "club". It may be that some people have started treating 27 as a sort of deadline (pun not my fault!).

You are definitely right.
btw looking at the Stones and their mummified lead singer or jumping Jack Flash Madonna, i got the feeling that some of them are ways over the deadline.

But what about Aokigahara? I do not have a Manga mindset though.

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisatrap
Soul

Soul

gate gate paragate parasamgate bodhi svaha
Apr 12, 2019
Hey wait - I love the Rolling Stones! Let's leave immortals out of the discussion lest they skew the statistics too much.

Aokigahara makes sense to me in a way that Bridgend doesn't. Maybe it started as simply a deep woods with conveniently high trees, but now it's an "appropriate" place to travel to to commit suicide. It has a ritualistic aspect to it that seems to fit in with Japanese traditions regarding suicide.

Bridgend, though, just makes me wonder if some adult predator wasn't abusing young guys in that timeframe.

Reactions: Lifeisatrap and martha
Tortured_empath

Tortured_empath

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2019
Maybe 27 signifies the end of their young years, where some of these musicians may have felt they 'peaked'. A "your life in years" approach instead of "years in your life".

Maybe their bodies/minds just gave in, as some of the artists had pretty extravagant lifestyles in terms of subastance abuse.

I do recall reading an article that said that there was no statistic significance however...

Last edited:
Reactions: Lifeisatrap, OnlyMercy, littlelady774 and 3 others
martha

martha

Experienced
Mar 14, 2019
with special greetings to @Soul@Tortured_empath @Raggas

"and I'm a tiny penny rolling up the walls inside"...

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: Alex R, Soul, Tortured_empath and 1 other person