L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Am making films - about my life in crack den (!) and being homeless. Erm it's a comedy. Hopefully! That's the plan anyway. I am hoping some of it is actually quite good and I want to back it all up, but I have mabye three or four phones stuffed with footage and one or two laptops, so the storage is getting bigger and bigger.

I have been looking into Cloud storage and it seems for a year it might cost something like £900 which I really can't afford. I have maybe 3 LaCie rugged drives but my computer can't hold all the footage and I also want a cloud back up.

Does anyone techie have recommendations for me? Is there any lifetime unlimited video storage (I know very unlikely).

I really want to give a voice to my experience of homelessness and to speak up for others so that is part of my motivation, and also to use it as a metaphor for climate change.

I am always spending too much money and htat is one of the reasons I've experienced homelessness, so any tips on being sensible in this area (or if you do just think I have to spend if I really want secure back up), please tell me.

Reactions: chocolatebar
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
I will ask someone who knows more about this than me!

Reactions: LastFlowers
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Looks like a nice project. I hope you can create something awesome!

About the storage, I believe you will need to have all files available for editing and rendering, right? Even if you fins a service provider, you would need soemthing that allows you to mount the cloud directory into a local one so that your editing software can use the files normally. However, both the cloud service and your ISP would need to provide a really high bandwidth or it would take ages to render a small video. I doubt it would be viable.

An alternative would be a cloud video editing service that allows you to store all files in the cloud and will work with them remotely, allowing you to edit and render your videos without local processing or storage, but I don't know any service like this and it would probably be really expensive.

Looking at your monetary symbol, I believe you're in uk, right? Are those 6TB usb external hard drives too expensive for you? I believe they would cost around £140 based on the prices where I live and maybe you can find cheaper used ones for like half the price. What do you think about it?

• Love
Reactions: artificial_ineptness and LittleJem
N

noaccount

Enlightened
Oct 26, 2019
My friend suggested lowendbox.com
... or https://capsul.org/ might offer more security but costs a bit more.

and then said "scaleway i think only charges for seconds of uptime" if that helps idk?

Last edited:
  • Love
Reactions: LittleJem
L

LittleJem

Visionary
Jul 3, 2019
Looks like a nice project. I hope you can create something awesome!

About the storage, I believe you will need to have all files available for editing and rendering, right? Even if you fins a service provider, you would need soemthing that allows you to mount the cloud directory into a local one so that your editing software can use the files normally. However, both the cloud service and your ISP would need to provide a really high bandwidth or it would take ages to render a small video. I doubt it would be viable.

An alternative would be a cloud video editing service that allows you to store all files in the cloud and will work with them remotely, allowing you to edit and render your videos without local processing or storage, but I don't know any service like this and it would probably be really expensive.

Looking at your monetary symbol, I believe you're in uk, right? Are those 6TB usb external hard drives too expensive for you? I believe they would cost around £140 based on the prices where I live and maybe you can find cheaper used ones for like half the price. What do you think about it?
Thank you so much - I can actually live with that. And then work out if my work is good enough to be worth storing! Thank you hugely. I have a couple of rugged drives, but I know I need to back stuff up. Thank you. I'm so relieved as I've been researching cloud back up for days!!!
My friend suggested lowendbox.com
... or https://capsul.org/ might offer more security but costs a bit more.

and then said "scaleway i think only charges for seconds of uptime" if that helps idk?
Amazing, thank you for these tips. Much appreciated. Feel less stressed immediately! Thanks for the help!

• Love
Reactions: chocolatebar
chocolatebar

chocolatebar

Paragon
Jul 11, 2021
Nice to see you're feeling relieved. Keep up with your great project!