raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
Context: I have my finals this year and I've had absolutely no time for myself because I'm just studying all the time. I really wanna archieve my goals, so I dont care if I have to sacrifice my hours of rest to do it. The only problem that I've had with this routine is sleep. Constant stimulus made me anxious, therefore generating insomnia. My psychiatrist started me on citalopram to reduce my anxiety.

I've been able to sleep well since then, but the side effects are really affecting me. First of all I feel emotionally numb. I used to have extremely happy moments, but with this medication I can only feel "happy". I also lost the capacity to cry. What's making it unbearable is sexual disfunction, I lost almost all sensations. This makes my romantic relationship deteriorate :(.

I'm not really "sad" or in a bad mental state, but the lack of emotions and sensations makes me so bored. What would you guys recommend me to do to make this feelings a little better?

• Hugs
Reactions: Bells, Lostandlooking, アホペンギン and 3 others
mekurin

mekurin

Heading for something better than this
Jul 9, 2023
I'm on citalopram as well. 20mg
I had sexual dysfunction at first but I'm not sure how or why it sort of fixed itself. However I do get the numbness. I've been on these meds for nearly 3 months and I still feel numb. Honestly if you dislike these side effects it's best you talk to your psychiatrist tell them your side effects and ask for a change of medication. It's best to do it early before your body fully adjusts to citalopram because it will be hard to change

Reactions: raltsrover and itsraining
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I'm on citalopram as well. 20mg
I had sexual dysfunction at first but I'm not sure how or why it sort of fixed itself. However I do get the numbness. I've been on these meds for nearly 3 months and I still feel numb. Honestly if you dislike these side effects it's best you talk to your psychiatrist tell them your side effects and ask for a change of medication. It's best to do it early before your body fully adjusts to citalopram because it will be hard to change
K, thanks, really. I'll talk with my psychiatrist about this, because I cant really deal with this anymore hahah.

Reactions: mekurin
P

Praestat_Mori

Mori praestat, quam haec pati!
May 21, 2023
Context: I have my finals this year and I've had absolutely no time for myself because I'm just studying all the time. I really wanna archieve my goals, so I dont care if I have to sacrifice my hours of rest to do it. The only problem that I've had with this routine is sleep. Constant stimulus made me anxious, therefore generating insomnia. My psychiatrist started me on citalopram to reduce my anxiety.
I understand that you want to reach your goals (or does someone else pressure you to reach those goals?). But are/were they really worth to sacrifice your health?

I personally don't think that meds can "fix" this, reduce stress, no pressures, that is what I think really would help you to recover.

I wish you all the best and hope you can find a way to recover!

Reactions: raltsrover and Foreverix
NearlyIrrelevantCake

NearlyIrrelevantCake

The Cake Is A Lie
Aug 12, 2021
Please talk to your doctor about the side effects and see about trying a different medication.

I had to try loads of meds over almost a decade before I landed on a combo of two that work. It sucks at the time when you're suffering and something isn't working. But keep trying. You're worth it. ♥

Reactions: raltsrover
Foreverix

Foreverix

Aeternum Vale
Sep 18, 2023
What's making it unbearable is sexual disfunction, I lost almost all sensations. This makes my romantic relationship deteriorate :(.

I'm not really "sad" or in a bad mental state, but the lack of emotions and sensations makes me so bored.
Perhaps ask your doctor to decrease the dosage. A little bit of what you describe is normal, but prolonged sexual dysfunction won't do you any favors.

• Hugs
Reactions: raltsrover
アホペンギン

アホペンギン

Jul 10, 2023
Talk to your doctor and try to get prescribed something else, or have the dosage changed. You don't need to suffer like this.

Reactions: Foreverix and raltsrover
raltsrover

raltsrover

Ñom
Oct 14, 2023
I understand that you want to reach your goals (or does someone else pressure you to reach those goals?). But are/were they really worth to sacrifice your health?

I personally don't think that meds can "fix" this, reduce stress, no pressures, that is what I think really would help you to recover.

I wish you all the best and hope you can find a way to recover!
Thank you so much! I do really hate this routine but I've got only a month left and I'm ready for med school :)). It really is my passion and the amount of things you have to learn doesn't really affect me because it's my autistic obsession since I've been little hahah. I talked with my doctor and she told me I'll be off this meds after the tests, so I wont have to stand this for more than a month :).
Y
Perhaps ask your doctor to decrease the dosage. A little bit of what you describe is normal, but prolonged sexual dysfunction won't do you any favors.
Yeaaa, it's pretty annoying (specially when you had a really good sex life before taking this stuff xd).

• Hugs
Reactions: Foreverix and Praestat_Mori
todienomore

todienomore

Arcanist
Apr 7, 2023
ssri's are neurotoxic trash, dont trust the dr, do some research.